cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 09:57 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Bronco getting booed in LES

Listening to the Bronco press conference. Good stuff. Manumaleuna is starting DT with Wolfley and Foketi right behind him. Wolfley a better run stopper and Foketi a better pass rusher.

Asked about what he thought about a sold out stadium, he gave an interesting response. Something like "I was booed in my first game in this stadium, so compared to that, it's progress."

Was that the 24-13 loss to Georgia Tech as a first time DC?

Or was that a 20-3 loss to BC as first time as HC?

Or possible reference to being booed as a UNM coach?

He had his pride voice on, and he mentioned "progress", so I think he was taking a shot at the fans.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #2
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Listening to the Bronco press conference. Good stuff. Manumaleuna is starting DT with Wolfley and Foketi right behind him. Wolfley a better run stopper and Foketi a better pass rusher.

Asked about what he thought about a sold out stadium, he gave an interesting response. Something like "I was booed in my first game in this stadium, so compared to that, it's progress."

Or was that a 20-3 loss to BC as first time as HC?

Or possible reference to being booed as a UNM coach?

He had his pride voice on, and he mentioned "progress", so I think he was taking a shot at the fans.
The BC game when his nuts shriveled up inside of him and he decided to punt instead of going for it on 4th down.

I think most fans were justified in expressing their displeasure with the call.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 PM   #3
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
The BC game when his nuts shriveled up inside of him and he decided to punt instead of going for it on 4th down.

I think most fans were justified in expressing their displeasure with the call.
That was an awful decision. It was like he was trying distance himself from Crowton's play calling. And he went way too far.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:28 PM   #4
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
As well he should. I just posted on this over on CB. Not to reignite the boo-wars but it's lame to boo your own team, especially while you're at home, no matter how much you dislike the coach's call.

http://www.cougarboard.com/noframes/...tml?id=2933114
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:32 PM   #5
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
As well he should. I just posted on this over on CB. Not to reignite the boo-wars but it's lame to boo your own team, especially while you're at home, no matter how much you dislike the coach's call.

Yes, when a coach essentially throws in the towel on a game that is still winnable, that is not a valid reason to boo his decision.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #6
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSizzle36 View Post
Yes, when a coach essentially throws in the towel on a game that is still winnable, that is not a valid reason to boo his decision.
Agreed. When someone kicks themselves in the head, the best thing to do is kick them again, just to make sure they felt it.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:37 PM   #7
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
That was an awful decision. It was like he was trying distance himself from Crowton's play calling. And he went way too far.
Who remembers the feeling about the state of the football program after the debacle in San Diego in 2005? How about as UNM went to a two score lead on the Cougs the following week?

Good heavens has Bronco and the program come a long freaking way?

I guess he deserved to be booed, but I love the guy because he just appears like such a learner. This season is going to be very exciting to sit back in January and evaluate what went on.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:38 PM   #8
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Between the two: 1) fans booing a poor play call and 2) a head coach calling out the fan base for booing, I find the latter more distasteful.

I vaguely remember the play. It's very difficult to distinguish an aggressive "BOO!" from a bunch of people shouting "NO!" at no one in particular or even a collective groan at the realization that the game was lost with no hope of a comeback.

I don't boo at home games, but I don't blame those who do. The one play I did nearly lose it was when Chow punted with like 2:00 to go in '99 when we were down a TD. It was a good thing he didn't listen to me, because we won that game (only because ref screwed up clock management on the Utes next series).
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #9
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Agreed. When someone kicks themselves in the head, the best thing to do is kick them again, just to make sure they felt it.
It wasn't his head he needed to be kicked in..well I guess some might call it his head, but I doubt a guy so adept at quoting the "handbook" such as you would probably be such a soul.

Personally, I felt like both his heads deserved a swift boot. However, I think at least one of his heads deserves to be annointed with that expensive stuff that Mary Magdalene was throwing around with impunity!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Ummm... we won that game 24-13.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote