cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Finances
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2007, 03:25 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
Why on earth anyone would want to stay at home full time with a bunch of children is beyond me. I was the stay at home component of our family while I was in undergrad. Believe me, that was the only time that I ever looked forward to going to class. I love my daughter, but there is no way that I would willingly spend a 60 hour week at home alone with a baby, and from most of the others that I have spoken with, it is not a particularly pleasant experience.
If a significant amount of time at home can be balanced with something such as a part time job, volunteer work, or more schooling, enough to keep the adult feeling like a productive, non-isolated member of society then it is not a bad thing, I suppose. Finding a balance can make the time that parent and child spend together more enjoyable and productive.
Historically this is not the way things worked. People lived with their extended family and child-rearing was a group activity.

The phenomenon of a woman raising her children in relative isolation is new.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

anyone familiar with this book? written by a Harvard Law Professor. "The Two Income Trap"

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Income-Tra...5614050&sr=8-3
Old 04-03-2007, 03:49 PM   #13
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Historically this is not the way things worked. People lived with their extended family and child-rearing was a group activity.

I think that is an excellent point that often gets overlooked. As recently as last night my mother in-law talked about how both of her grand mothers lived on the same street as her family growing up. She was rarely at home -she was at Grandmas house.
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:36 PM   #14
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Yeah, this is one of the aspects of the Church's official stance that gets me steamed because it is based on an historical anomaly. During the post-War period it was possible for many, many families to have one wage earner and one spouse in the home. However, a number of factors make the choice increasingly economically difficult on lower income tier families, especially in places like California and the East Coast where housing is so expensive.

The other aspect of the policy that is nonsensical is the insistence that a mother be the one to give the care. Why not parent? Or loved one? This little turn of a phrase has caused my wife a lot of internal pain, because she was not able to stay home with our first. She felt that she had done something wrong and that our child would suffer for it. Only after about 4 years was she able to look back and admit that all had not been a disaster, but had worked out nicely. Modern society requires flexibility to produce the same, or better results, and to the extent a piece of verbage gets in the way of that it is unfortunate.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 06:54 PM   #15
tooblue

Quote:
anyone familiar with this book? written by a Harvard Law Professor. "The Two Income Trap"

http://www.amazon.com/Two-Income-Tra...5614050&sr=8-3
I think it was quoted quite frequently in my wifes readings for the on-line course she had been taking to finish her degree with BYU.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #16
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Leaving my religious beliefs out of the matter completely, I think that it's the education that is most important. As long as one has a marketable skill, they'll be ok should divorce or death knock on the door. It is my observation that having two working parents rarely translates into greater savings. Or in other words, a woman working prior to divorce might be no better off financially than a non working woman after a divorce except that she'd already have a job. Most of the two income families I know (fallacy of personal experience, I know) have more expensive things, but no more money left over at the end of the month than the single income families.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
tooblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Leaving my religious beliefs out of the matter completely, I think that it's the education that is most important. As long as one has a marketable skill, they'll be ok should divorce or death knock on the door. It is my observation that having two working parents rarely translates into greater savings. Or in other words, a woman working prior to divorce might be no better off financially than a non working woman after a divorce except that she'd already have a job. Most of the two income families I know (fallacy of personal experience, I know) have more expensive things, but no more money left over at the end of the month than the single income families.
I agree. The education is most important. As a single income family it is sometimes difficult to see the dual income family with all of their things, depsite the understanding that when you make more you spend more.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:41 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Who will join me in hearty condemnation of FMCoug?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:43 PM   #19
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Who will join me in hearty condemnation of FMCoug?

FMCoug is my idol. I can't wait to build my own home and post pics of it's construction on here and CB.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote