cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2007, 08:59 PM   #21
non sequitur

non sequitur is an unknown quantity at this point

If God is really concerned with matters like tattoos and piercings, he must be awfully bored.
...You've been under attack for days, there's a soldier down, he's wounded, gangrene's setting in, 'Who's used all the penicillin?' 'Oh, Mark Paxson sir, he's got knob rot off of some tart.'" - Gareth Keenan
non sequitur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #22
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

God is concerned about everything. That's part of the job description.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:00 PM   #23
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
Hinckley.

It's a good point. A lot of times when people say "Temple Recommend questions," they are thinking of concrete, measurable things, like Word of Wisdom or chastity.

Some of the other questions leave a lot more room for interpretation.
Really. Who do you think I should consult with to get the right interpretation, you or Indy?

Sustaining the brethern doesn't mean you follow their counsel in everthing, does it.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #24
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
If God is really concerned with matters like tattoos and piercings, he must be awfully bored.
A-FREAKING-MEN!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:02 PM   #25
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
Really. Who do you think I should consult with to get the right interpretation, you or Indy?

Sustaining the brethern doesn't mean you follow their counsel in everthing, does it.
I didn't offer a definition of what it means to sustain the brethren, I merely pointed out that it might be worthwhile to reflect on what it does and doesn't mean.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:04 PM   #26
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
I didn't offer a definition of what it means to sustain the brethren, I merely pointed out that it might be worthwhile to reflect on what it does and doesn't mean.
Agreed. I personally have reflected on it quite a bit and have come to a conclusion there is a difference between commandment and counsel. After much reflection my measuring stick is Temple worthiness.

That is the conclusion I have come to for myself. It doesn't bother me if someone else comes to another conclusion for themselves.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:20 PM   #27
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

I do think that the forum where the comments are made are important. For instance, I've heard many people say that they don't drink Coke because GGH said that we don't during his interview with Larry King. Now, beside the fact that I don't believe he actually said that (he was answering a 7 part question with one yes), I don't think he'd ever choose Larry King Live as the forum to finally lay down the law on anything.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:23 PM   #28
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I do think that the forum where the comments are made are important. For instance, I've heard many people say that they don't drink Coke because GGH said that we don't during his interview with Larry King. Now, beside the fact that I don't believe he actually said that (he was answering a 7 part question with one yes), I don't think he'd ever choose Larry King Live as the forum to finally lay down the law on anything.
Heh, funny, I know people like that too. They watch the clip and they say, "Yep, clearly caffeine is against the Word of Wisdom."

It interesting to see where everyone draws their personal line.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #29
Solon

Solon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Attempts to freeze the line of acceptable dress at 1950s American corporate culture is silly. As soon as the current crop of church leaders (who were raised to believe that the IBM/CIA look is the only look approved by God) pass on, things will lighten up.
Even the CIA is okay with facial hair.
http://media.militaryphotos.net/phot...SF_Cowboy2.jpg
Old 07-16-2007, 09:28 PM   #30
BYU71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I wish my wife had a belly piercing. I won't blink an eye if my daughters get a belly piercing. I think they are sexy and cool.

Now if they come home with an eyebrow piercing, they are going to have it torn out with a pair of pliers.

Looking shocking/ugly/disturbing on purpose is not ok. Seeking to look attractive is ok.

Attempts to freeze the line of acceptable dress at 1950s American corporate culture is silly. As soon as the current crop of church leaders (who were raised to believe that the IBM/CIA look is the only look approved by God) pass on, things will lighten up.

It is the height of irony that Brigham Young couldn't attend BYU and the most pious Hindu guru is considered immodest and lewd in dress and appearance.

I wonder. There are plenty of young people who will buy into the more conservative approach to dress. It is quite possible they will be the ones who will rise through the ranks to leadership. That type of personality may very well be a qualification for leadership. I think at the present time the body of the church is more liberal than the leadership in general.

That is probably the case in all religion. We are lucky our leadership doesn't move in a fundamentalist direction. While conservative for the most part they are quite tolerant of members free agency. I can find internet posters who are much less forgiving and lesstolerant than most of the church leadership.