cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I'm going to take this gun control argument

one step further. Those of you that are upstanding citizens, with good moral judgment, who believe in a free society free from murder and other crimes....I posit that you have a moral duty to arm yourselves. In order to protect yourself, your families, your community, the constitution, and this country.

Now, I realize not everyone is going to make this choice. But is it wrong for me to have respect for those that are willing to take on this moral burden? Why do some of you shrink from this burden?

Now, I am not advocating machismo, or vigilantism, or anything of the sort. I'm not saying you have to appreciate guns or enjoy the use of them. I'm saying that by arming yourself, you have taken upon yourself a critical duty that our forefathers saw as defense of this country.

Now if you want to be the equivalent of a conscientious objector, that's fine. But please don't criticize those who aren't. Even the justified killing of another man in self-defense is poison to the soul, but we don't recognize the weight of that. The burden of that. Some would rather die, and I can respect that also. But not all of us want to die.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 02-18-2008 at 04:09 AM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:02 AM   #2
woot

woot is on a distinguished road

I find both sides of this argument to have merit, and have considered getting a gun myself, but the idea that arming oneself is a moral imperative seems pretty stupid to me. The vast majority of gun violence in this country is related to accidents/convenience, so while defending one's country against an evil government is noble, I'm not paranoid enough to think that the need to do so is more likely to arise than a neighborhood kid accidentally shooting himself with my gun or me shooting myself with it, whether accidentally or not.
woot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:07 AM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Given how lazy people are about fitness, I don't want a bunch of armed citizens who don't know how to aim and operate their weapons. For those conscientious, I'm happy for the Second Amendment, but for our slovenly hosts, please just stay away.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:09 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by woot View Post
I find both sides of this argument to have merit, and have considered getting a gun myself, but the idea that arming oneself is a moral imperative seems pretty stupid to me. The vast majority of gun violence in this country is related to accidents/convenience, so while defending one's country against an evil government is noble, I'm not paranoid enough to think that the need to do so is more likely to arise than a neighborhood kid accidentally shooting himself with my gun or me shooting myself with it, whether accidentally or not.
I have two comments:

1. I suspect the rate of accidental shootings is very low among those people that properly store their guns. My guns are all locked away. And quickly accessible as well. But there are a lot of people who either don't care, or can't afford such solutions. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't own a gun.

2. If you think you may be at greater risk for suicide, or if you have a loved one that is at greater risk that also would have access to the arms, this may be a good reason to not own a gun, since it is a recognized risk factor for suicide. If you an old white male alcoholic who is divorced and own a gun and suffer bouts of depression--you are statistically a time-bomb in terms of suicide risk.

But the overall point is that there is always a risk to taking on a moral imperative. And that is why I'm saying why are some of you that are criticizing us that take on this risk, not willing to take on this risk yourselves?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:12 AM   #5
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I have two comments:

1. I suspect the rate of accidental shootings is very low among those people that properly store their guns. My guns are all locked away. And quickly accessible as well. But there are a lot of people who either don't care, or can't afford such solutions. If you can't afford it, you shouldn't own a gun.

2. If you think you may be at greater risk for suicide, or if you have a loved one that is at greater risk that also would have access to the arms, this may be a good reason to not own a gun, since it is a recognized risk factor for suicide. If you an old white male alcoholic who is divorced and own a gun and suffer bouts of depression--you are statistically a time-bomb in terms of suicide risk.

But the overall point is that there is always a risk to taking on a moral imperative. And that is why I'm saying why are some of you that are criticizing us that take on this risk, not willing to take on this risk yourselves?
Ok that makes sense. Perhaps my previous post was a function of my general lack of confidence in my fellow humans.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:15 AM   #6
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
The vast majority of gun violence in this country is related to accidents/convenience, so while defending one's country against an evil government is noble, I'm not paranoid enough to think that the need to do so is more likely to arise than a neighborhood kid accidentally shooting himself with my gun or me shooting myself with it, whether accidentally or not.
What did you mean by convenience? Accidental shootings are only a very small fraction of the size of intentional shootings.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:18 AM   #7
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
What did you mean by convenience? Accidental shootings are only a very small fraction of the size of intentional shootings.
By convenience, I was referring to violence being much more prevalent when guns are available, the best example being suicide. Those who don't have easy access to a gun or the golden gate bridge are much less likely to kill themselves. I'm sure Waters could back me up on that.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 AM   #8
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
By convenience, I was referring to violence being much more prevalent when guns are available, the best example being suicide. Those who don't have easy access to a gun or the golden gate bridge are much less likely to kill themselves. I'm sure Waters could back me up on that.
That seems self evident. Probably you won't jump off a skyscraper if you live on a farm in Kansas.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
That seems self evident. Probably you won't jump off a skyscraper if you live on a farm in Kansas.
Indeed.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 AM   #10
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Mike, you'll be happy to know that I have a concealed weapon permit.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote