cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2008, 03:31 PM   #151
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
dont you think there is a little difference in being asked by JC to follow him then being compelled to pay taxes?
Not really. He was asking them to give up their sources of income. He asked the same of the rich young prince. I think it was very deliberate that he asked the prince to give it all up. He could have very easily said, "Hey, keep all your stuff because it may come in handy for us in the future as we try to spread the Gospel." Today, we aren't asked to give up all our possessions, but if paying an extra little bit will really help, then I am willing to listen.

I am not even sure socialized medicine is the answer. I have stated previously that any socialized proposal would never be ratified anyway, so why is everone worried about it? But even if it were, there would be no law prohibiting the private practice of medicine (status quo). These arguments about concern over diminished quality of healthcare are really thinly veiled admissions of selfishness.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 03:32 PM   #152
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
It would require very sophisticated economic analysis with so many unverifiable variables, that the numbers wouldn't be reliable.

Go back and research what government predicted Social Security and Medicare would cost from 1964 to 1984. You'll find, IIRC, and I don't always, that the rosy prediction of the sixties was off about 10 to 20 fold or greater. Given that knowledge using that rubric may be a good benchmark. Multiply whatever the government predicts by ten or twenty times, and you'll have what it will actually cost.
If Obama passes his health care bill, there will be a tax imposed. This tax increase has to be outlined somewhere because the bill will not pass without a specific budget. I dont know whether the numbers will be reliable. I want to know what the proposed number is that all of you are crowing about. If you dont even know how much it is, then what are you all complaining about? What if it is $65 a year?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 02-25-2008, 03:38 PM   #153
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
If Obama passes his health care bill, there will be a tax imposed. This tax increase has to be outlined somewhere because the bill will not pass without a specific budget. I dont know whether the numbers will be reliable. I want to know what the proposed number is that all of you are crowing about. If you dont even know how much it is, then what are you all complaining about? What if it is $65 a year?
Now I remember. The original prediction for Medicare was 4 billion per year, it was off. At the time the actual was 400 billion.

I don't care what his prediction would be.

If it's 65 dollars, then you should predict a real cost of 6500. Would you be willing to pay an extra 6500. BTW, based on the WSJ or some other economist, I did the calc and mine was much worse than 6500 dollars. So no, Obama can go screw himself.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:08 PM   #154
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Now I remember. The original prediction for Medicare was 4 billion per year, it was off. At the time the actual was 400 billion.

I don't care what his prediction would be.

If it's 65 dollars, then you should predict a real cost of 6500. Would you be willing to pay an extra 6500. BTW, based on the WSJ or some other economist, I did the calc and mine was much worse than 6500 dollars. So no, Obama can go screw himself.
"It would require a very sophisticated economic analysis......oh, wait, now I remember, I did my OWN calc at home on my PC....."

Listen to what you are saying. Do you really think such a bill would pass? I think it would be as successful as, say.....Hillary's attempt.

"Guess what, America, as your newly elected president, I am imposing a new tax per household of $6500 a year!"

Old 02-25-2008, 04:58 PM   #155
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not really. He was asking them to give up their sources of income. He asked the same of the rich young prince. I think it was very deliberate that he asked the prince to give it all up. He could have very easily said, "Hey, keep all your stuff because it may come in handy for us in the future as we try to spread the Gospel." Today, we aren't asked to give up all our possessions, but if paying an extra little bit will really help, then I am willing to listen.

I am not even sure socialized medicine is the answer. I have stated previously that any socialized proposal would never be ratified anyway, so why is everone worried about it? But even if it were, there would be no law prohibiting the private practice of medicine (status quo). These arguments about concern over diminished quality of healthcare are really thinly veiled admissions of selfishness.
I've covenated to give up everything to church if asked.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #156
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
"It would require a very sophisticated economic analysis......oh, wait, now I remember, I did my OWN calc at home on my PC....."

Listen to what you are saying. Do you really think such a bill would pass? I think it would be as successful as, say.....Hillary's attempt.

"Guess what, America, as your newly elected president, I am imposing a new tax per household of $6500 a year!"
No, but I bet a bill that states, you guys will only be taxed $65. And then when the bill comes, "oops, we're sorry, but you have 'free' health care." That's what I fear. A lie to get us into the predicament and once we're f..ed, no way to get out.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:08 PM   #157
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Look at Ontario Canada versus Michigan

A single man in canada making 50k a year pays 26% federal Income tax plus 9.15% provincial tax

He also pays and average of 18% sales tax

that same single man in Michigan pays 25% federal income tax and 4% state tax. He also pay 6% sales tax

They both have about the same Social Security Tax
Old 02-25-2008, 05:13 PM   #158
tooblue

tooblue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
Look at Ontario Canada versus Michigan

A single man in canada making 50k a year pays 26% federal Income tax plus 9.15% provincial tax

He also pays and average of 18% sales tax

that same single man in Michigan pays 25% federal income tax and 4% state tax. He also pay 6% sales tax

They both have about the same Social Security Tax
He doesn't pay 18% sales tax anymore -it's been reduced by the conservative government!!
tooblue is offline   Reply With Quote