cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #31
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Maybe I am misunderstanding Lingo's logic, but is it analogous to say that as bad as the Jews had it in the Holocaust (and it was terrible), they are much better off overall today because the net result was an official Jewish state and re-occupation of their homeland? Please tell me I am missing Lingo's point entirely here.

It seems that any serious analysis of slavery should not be mitigated by the inclusion of a "hey, lets look on the bright side of things..." rationalization.

Slavery ranks up there with the big boys in history.....inquisition, holocaust, stalin executing cossacks, and the serious Brady Bunch spin-off where Mike Brady runs for Congress.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #32
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
I have no problem with the U.S. Government formally apologizing to those who were forced to endure slavery and I would support such a measure.

When the Illinois Legislature passed a measure of regret for the forced expulsion from Nauvoo, President Hinckley mentioned it in General Conference and said it indicated a change of attitude toward our people. I am hopeful that an apology sanctioned by Congress would communicate the same message to those who have endured centuries of persecution in our country.
beautiful
Old 03-04-2008, 05:15 PM   #33
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
I have no problem with the U.S. Government formally apologizing to those who were forced to endure slavery and I would support such a measure.

When the Illinois Legislature passed a measure of regret for the forced expulsion from Nauvoo, President Hinckley mentioned it in General Conference and said it indicated a change of attitude toward our people. I am hopeful that an apology sanctioned by Congress would communicate the same message to those who have endured centuries of persecution in our country.
Very good point.

Missouri's rescinding and condemnation of the Extermination Order was also similarly received, no?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #34
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Maybe I am misunderstanding Lingo's logic, but is it analogous to say that as bad as the Jews had it in the Holocaust (and it was terrible), they are much better off overall today because the net result was an official Jewish state and re-occupation of their homeland? Please tell me I am missing Lingo's point entirely here.

It seems that any serious analysis of slavery should not be mitigated by the inclusion of a "hey, lets look on the bright side of things..." rationalization.

Slavery ranks up there with the big boys in history.....inquisition, holocaust, stalin executing cossacks, and the serious Brady Bunch spin-off where Mike Brady runs for Congress.
America did not have a monopoly on slavery. It existed (and continues to exist) in almost every nation on earth. Why obsess about the United States variety?

The Jews/Holocaust comparison sucks. Were it not for the Holocaust, Jewish families would have remained in their homes in Europe and been just fine.

Also, I'm against the idea of paying reparations to the 4th-generation descendants of Holocaust victims, so there goes hoya's "RACIST!" screech.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:21 PM   #35
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
Very good point.

Missouri's rescinding and condemnation of the Extermination Order was also similarly received, no?
I almost mentioned this myself, but decided not to. Since YOhio brought it up, I'll just say I found the apology to be pointless. Sure, it was a nice gesture, but no one in Missouri is responsible for what happened, and no Mormon alive today was damaged by it.

It amounts to a little bit of political theater, which is what a slavery apology would amount to.

But if today's blacks get reparations for the federal government's mistakes, I'll be sure to show up at the Missouri Legislature's doorstep to demand mine for theirs.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:22 PM   #36
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
America did not have a monopoly on slavery. It existed (and continues to exist) in almost every nation on earth. Why obsess about the United States variety?

The Jews/Holocaust comparison sucks. Were it not for the Holocaust, Jewish families would have remained in their homes in Europe and been just fine.

Also, I'm against the idea of paying reparations to the 4th-generation descendants of Holocaust victims, so there goes hoya's "RACIST!" screech.
you need to be slapped.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 PM   #37
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Game over. In a pen's stroke, Y unmasks the Lingos as hypocritical hate mongers. Time to retire this appalling thread.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:25 PM   #38
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyLingo View Post

Are you trolling?
Old 03-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #39
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Agreed. Tex's arguments against such a measure sound contrived and weak, particularly his claim that it could actually worsen race relations in the US. Congress debating the issue and emphatically deciding NOT to issue an apology seems like the action most likely to be damaging.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #40
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Agreed. Tex's arguments against such a measure sound contrived and weak, particularly his claim that it could actually worsen race relations in the US.
Mormon/Missouri relations don't reflect in the least modern black/white relations. The comparison is ludicrous.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote