cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2008, 03:02 PM   #31
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex View Post
You can't be seriously arguing this, are you? Really?

Wrong. I have the entire Restoration.
Isn't the restoration a point supporting our position? How long did it take for the restoration to occur?
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #32
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Well, that is the same argument that protestant Christians make about the Bible.

Another argument might say that it is because of our wickedness that we do not receive more revelation.
Good points. I'll add that the "wickdness leads to less (or a stoppage of) revelation" assertion isn't born out in the scriptures. It is during times of extreme wickedness, say, for example, just before Jerusalem is sacked by the Babylonians, that you get prophecy in spades: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lehi and so on.

I should also add, though, that those writings probably would not have been considered authoritative in a major way until much later. I believe the minor prophets were collected and deemed authoritative in the second century BC.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Last edited by Sleeping in EQ; 06-09-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:04 PM   #33
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
Good points. I'll add that the "wickdness leads to less (or a stoppage of) revelation" assertion isn't born out in the scriptures. It is during times of extreme wickedness, say, for example, just before Jerusalem is sacked by the Babylonians, that you get prophecy in spades: Isaiah, Jeremiah, Lehi and so on.
But that could also be because wickedness led to an end of the scriptures (making it harder to record!).
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #34
Sleeping in EQ

Sleeping in EQ is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
But that could also be because wickedness led to an end of the scriptures (making it harder to record!).
I'm thinking along similar lines. I added a few sentences in an edit.
"Do not despise the words of prophets, but test everything; hold fast to what is good; " 1 Thess. 5:21 (NRSV)

We all trust our own unorthodoxies.
Sleeping in EQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #35
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
Isn't the restoration a point supporting our position? How long did it take for the restoration to occur?
Are you even reading Indy's posts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
I think members of the church still have a voice, they've just been shamed and brow-beaten into not using it because leaders find it inconvenient.
It's almost as though the concept of priesthood authority has been lost on this group.
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:09 PM   #36
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Despite historical precedences, and how well they fit this occurrence, the underlying question is logical and brings into question the Lord's purposes pertaining to the Gospel, assuming that this is in fact the Lord's church.

It seems to me you can break the question down as follows, if you are assuming that the Lord never initiated the ban:

-Did the prophets, prior to the lifting of the ban, ask for guidance on the subject?

-If not, then the persistence of the ban is easily placed on the shoulders of those prophets.

-If so (and it appears there's evidence that this is the case), then the question Tex & Indy seem to be asking seems relevant: Why would the Lord NOT lift the ban?

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:13 PM   #37
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Does the Lord really not want powerpoint slides in sacrament meeting?

Are we talking about a Lord that is approving or disapproving of meeting schedules, curricula, music policies, and that ilk?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:14 PM   #38
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Does the Lord really not want powerpoint slides in sacrament meeting?

Are we talking about a Lord that is approving or disapproving of meeting schedules, curricula, music policies, and that ilk?
Do you honestly think that is a valid analogy?
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #39
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Do you honestly think that is a valid analogy?
So you agree that the Lord is not involved in many of these official pronouncements that go to every unit in the church from the First Presidency.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #40
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Despite historical precedences, and how well they fit this occurrence, the underlying question is logical and brings into question the Lord's purposes pertaining to the Gospel, assuming that this is in fact the Lord's church.

It seems to me you can break the question down as follows, if you are assuming that the Lord never initiated the ban:

-Did the prophets, prior to the lifting of the ban, ask for guidance on the subject?

-If not, then the persistence of the ban is easily placed on the shoulders of those prophets.

-If so (and it appears there's evidence that this is the case), then the question Tex & Indy seem to be asking seems relevant: Why would the Lord NOT lift the ban?
The evidence that the prophets prior to SWK made a serious effort to reverse the ban is very weak.