cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The DC mayor is a POS....

who has decided that Washington DC will ignore the SCOTUS decision on the 2nd Amendment.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...nation/special

This is absolutely criminal. If any mayor in the country should be impeached, it should be Adrian Fenty.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree. He's acting like one of the corporations that SU represents. Break the law and dare anyone to sue them, because they have deeper pockets (taxes) than the opposition.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 01:32 AM   #3
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

You and I are in agreement about this, though I think Fenty is worse, as he obviously doesn't believe in the US Constitution.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Look, as one who has lived near here most of my life, it is no secret that DC is perhaps the most amateurish and poorly run municipality in the country. Fenty is an object lesson in why you don't just elect good looks and charisma. This is like a bunch of teenagers playing government.

At the end of the day, congress controls DC and only a few congressional democrats from San Francisco will be willing to risk not squashing this immediately. We all understand that like it or not SCOTUS gets the final words and I seriously doubt that this democratic congress wants to set the precedent of taking the position that SCOTUS can be ignored. Governor Wallace gave this very thing a try but blinked when Eisenhower sent federal troops to Little Rock.

Even failing action by congress, does anyone seriously think that this president is going to allow DC to succeed where Wallace failed? Fenty and his crew and about to see what happens when you defy the grown ups whose offices are in the white neo-classical buildings downtown.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:00 AM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

put him in stocks in the town square. then waterboard him.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:07 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
Look, as one who has lived near here most of my life, it is no secret that DC is perhaps the most amateurish and poorly run municipality in the country. Fenty is an object lesson in why you don't just elect good looks and charisma. This is like a bunch of teenagers playing government.

At the end of the day, congress controls DC and only a few congressional democrats from San Francisco will be willing to risk not squashing this immediately. We all understand that like it or not SCOTUS gets the final words and I seriously doubt that this democratic congress wants to set the precedent of taking the position that SCOTUS can be ignored. Governor Wallace gave this very thing a try but blinked when Eisenhower sent federal troops to Little Rock.

Even failing action by congress, does anyone seriously think that this president is going to allow DC to succeed where Wallace failed? Fenty and his crew and about to see what happens when you defy the grown ups whose offices are in the white neo-classical buildings downtown.
I will defer to your knowledge of the DC municipal politics, as I've never been a resident. I just didn't realize just how arrogant the city leaders really are.

And just how much say does the US Congress have in the laws of DC? More than my fellow Murray residents and I have to say about how Murray should be run or the denizens of any other city in the country?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:13 AM   #7
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Nothing is going to happen to this DC law or to Fenty. You guys are sounding a little off kilter. I live in the district, and it's being well received by the public and media. And the lines today to pick up a gun permit in the District for the first time in 30 years? Miniscule.

Congress has bigger fish to fry right now, and they're not going to touch this law. The Republicans got their Supreme Court victory, they can go around touting the decision to the electorate saying, "See, if you elect Obama, he's going to appoint justices who will want to take away your guns; we're only one vote on the Court away from that happening." They're not going to get riled up by some DC obstinates. And please, do you guys not realize the DC gun ban was on the books for almost 30 years and Congress did nothing -- there were plenty of Republican congresses during that time if they really cared. They're not going to care now.

This law will be challenged in the courts, as it should be. It will be a great test case to see what the contours of the 2nd Amendment right will be. The Court said nothing in Heller that makes this law out of bounds. The Court said very little in Heller except to say that the right in the 2nd A. was an individual right, and not a collective right, and that our most common gun regulations are just fine.

So in the end, not only are your comparisons to Wallace and desegregation inapt, they're offensive.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 02:19 AM   #8
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Nothing is going to happen to this DC law or to Fenty. You guys are sounding a little off kilter. I live in the district, and it's being well received by the public and media. And the lines today to pick up a gun permit in the District for the first time in 30 years? Miniscule.

Congress has bigger fish to fry right now, and they're not going to touch this law. The Republicans got their Supreme Court victory, they can go around touting the decision to the electorate saying, "See, if you elect Obama, he's going to appoint justices who will want to take away your guns; we're only one vote on the Court away from that happening." They're not going to get riled up by some DC obstinates. And please, do you guys not realize the DC gun ban was on the books for almost 30 years and Congress did nothing -- there were plenty of Republican congresses during that time if they really cared. They're not going to care now.

This law will be challenged in the courts, as it should be. It will be a great test case to see what the contours of the 2nd Amendment right will be. The Court said nothing in Heller that makes this law out of bounds. The Court said very little in Heller except to say that the right in the 2nd A. was an individual right, and not a collective right, and that our most common gun regulations are just fine.

So in the end, not only are your comparisons to Wallace and desegregation inapt, they're offensive.
Not being a lawyer, please inform me how a decision by the US Supreme Court can be challenged.

Honest question.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:21 AM   #9
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post

You think that public opinion in the district has anything to do with this? This is a live wire issue in a Presidential election year. Time will tell, but the point here is that a locality is defying a ruling of the highest court in the land. That is why it is an analog to Wallace and Brown v. Board. I think that a lot of people around the country, including liberals, are going to be offended by the notion that DC is thumbing its nose at the Supreme Court. This would be like if Utah enacted a law saying you can't have an abortion unless your life is in imminent danger and five doctors agree.

I will be surprised if you are right. I think democrats are going to jump all over this as an opportunity to prove, in an election year, that they aren't anti-gun.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:23 AM   #10
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Not being a lawyer, please inform me how a decision by the US Supreme Court can be challenged.

Honest question.
It can't. For example, in Virginia when Brown v. Board came out there were many school systems in Virginia that refused to comply. The Federal courts literally took them over.