cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #11
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
The God of Mormonism doesn't even comprehend evil. This is not a God with a power over all evil, i.e. doesn't have the power to destroy it, much less understand it.
I don't think your interpretation is correct. He certainly comprehends and understands evil. And power to destroy it? Hell, we mere mortals have that -- remember what we can do to the serpent, who only has the power to bruise our heal? Just as God chooses not to destroy evil, neither do we. We stay our hands for different reasons, however. For God, it has something to do with justice, mercy, and agency. For us, it has something to do with weakness and pride.

I've never thought that God has no power over evil. I wouldn't call the laws of justice, mercy, and agency evil. Those are the three that have some primordial source. They are the mysteries. Evil? As you have said, evil is just banal, and always has been.

Jesus overcame evil. Did you miss that part of the story?
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:48 PM   #12
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
I don't think your interpretation is correct. He certainly comprehends and understands evil. And power to destroy it? Hell, we mere mortals have that -- remember what we can do to the serpent, who only has the power to bruise our heal? Just as God chooses not to destroy evil, neither do we. We stay our hands for different reasons, however. For God, it has something to do with justice, mercy, and agency. For us, it has something to do with weakness and pride.

I've never thought that God has no power over evil. I wouldn't call the laws of justice, mercy, and agency evil. Those are the three that have some primordial source. They are the mysteries. Evil? As you have said, evil is just banal, and always has been.

Jesus overcame evil. Did you miss that part of the story?
He did? Did you hear that 48 civilians were killed by a suicide bomb in Iraq today. Try to put yourself in the shoes of their families and those of the mamed and wounded and then tell yourself "Jesus overcame evil." As I write this I'm thinking of those insufferable kids singing Jesus Wants me for a Sun Beam for poor unhappy and dying Big Daddy in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #13
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
He did? Did you hear that 48 civilians were killed by a suicide bomb in Iraq today. Try to put yourself in the shoes of their families and those of the mamed and wounded and then tell yourself "Jesus overcame evil." As I write this I'm thinking of those insufferable kids singing Jesus Wants me for a Sun Beam for poor unhappy and dying Big Daddy in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof.
You're not understanding. Re-read the first paragraph of my post. Waters said God has no power over evil, and that He doesn't even understand or comprehend it. Jesus personally overcame evil. As for the evil that others commit, He stays his hand. At times, it's hard to understand why.

The bombers choose not to overcome evil. God is in the overcoming, and not in the evil.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote