cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2006, 04:24 AM   #11
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa
Unfortunately they teach hate at the early stages of childhood in their schools and their textbooks.

It's pretty chilling to see a 3 year old girl saying she'd like to drink the blood of a Jew.
The problem is daunting.

However, we have neither the ability nor the will to strike long and hard enough to make preemptive strikes. We cannot subvert their seemingly endless supply of terroists and bombs. We don't even have an understanding how to subvert their horrible mindwashings of their peoples.

It is a very difficult problem, but no answers seem to be working.

Nuke them? Untenable and I don't believe God would have us prosper if we did something so horrendous.

Continual preemptive strikes? Lots of good that has done us. We have Afghanistan, Iraq, Gaza, Lebanon, Somalia, Libya, Algeria, Syria and Iran. Gee, we've done a great job, not to mention the Phillipines, Malaysia, Indonesia.

It is a horribly difficult problem and we've approached it too simplistically.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:28 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Unfortunately they teach hate at the early stages of childhood in their schools and their textbooks.

It's pretty chilling to see a 3 year old girl saying she'd like to drink the blood of a Jew.
It's also disturbing to see young jewish girls write messages to arabs on bombs.

MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2006, 04:29 AM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
The problem is daunting.

However, we have neither the ability nor the will to strike long and hard enough to make preemptive strikes. We cannot subvert their seemingly endless supply of terroists and bombs. We don't even have an understanding how to subvert their horrible mindwashings of their peoples.

It is a very difficult problem, but no answers seem to be working.

Nuke them? Untenable and I don't believe God would have us prosper if we did something so horrendous.

Continual preemptive strikes? Lots of good that has done us. We have Afghanistan, Iraq, Gaza, Lebanon, Somalia, Libya, Algeria, Syria and Iran. Gee, we've done a great job, not to mention the Phillipines, Malaysia, Indonesia.

It is a horribly difficult problem and we've approached it too simplistically.
What you say is true and has a lot of logic to it.

I'm not sure myself of the perfect solutions, as it's obvious there are none. I just don't understand the mentality by some of forgetting that you, I, my neighbor, etc....have had war declared on us.

I don't understand that mentality. I don't understand the advocacy mentality of those talking about Radical Islamists.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:30 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Unfortunately all the good stuff we do gets wiped away by Gitmo and Abu Ghraib, the rape/murder by those idiots, allegations of torture, etc.

If you don't care what they think, then murder them.

If you care about morality, THEN CARE ABOUT MORALITY!
Old 08-01-2006, 04:39 AM   #15
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
Unfortunately all the good stuff we do gets wiped away by Gitmo and Abu Ghraib, the rape/murder by those idiots, allegations of torture, etc.

If you don't care what they think, then murder them.

If you care about morality, THEN CARE ABOUT MORALITY!
You're still not answering the question. Honestly, who's side are you on?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:40 AM   #16
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea
You have a misunderstanding of what will work.

I disagree that they do not want materialism.

I also disagree that democracy can exist in an uneducated, deprived society. We must have them develop a middle class, desire materialism and thereafter desire and obtain education in addition to individualism. Only that can make them wean themselves from the tit of terroisim.
I didn't say democarcy, although my flip refernce to the founding fathers was misleading. I mean they must be weaned from their radicalism. they may come to be more materialistic as a result of their detachment from the most radical strains of thought, but they will not be first seduced by materialism. In fact, thinking this can happen strikes me as rather silly. Besides, how do you inseret a 'desire' for materialism without first injecting other cultural concepts that make it relevant to their lives and belif systems? If anything, I think you have your list above completyely backwards.

This is more than just a matter of having access to material possessions. [By the way, you say you disagree that they wanty materialism. I assume you mean that you disagreee that they want material possessions, as it is clear beyonf cavil that the radical islamic culture rejects thre values of amterialism] If it were, we would not see so many radical muslims in Germany, France and other European countries (or even in Indoneisa, for that matter). This is a war of cultures, of ideas. Economic progress may be important, but it is not the answer, or an exclusive first step.

You are right about one thing; I don't ahve the answers, but I certainly don't think seduction by Wal-Mart should be the focus.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:43 AM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
You're still not answering the question. Honestly, who's side are you on?
I'm on the Lord's side. Whose side are you on?
Old 08-01-2006, 04:44 AM   #18
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster
I didn't say democarcy, although my flip refernce to the founding fathers was misleading. I mean they must be weaned from their radicalism. they may come to be more materialistic as a result of their detachment from the most radical strains of thought, but they will not be first seduced by materialism. In fact, thinking this can happen strikes me as rather silly. Besides, how do you inseret a 'desire' for materialism without first injecting other cultural concepts that make it relevant to their lives and belif systems? If anything, I think you have your list above completyely backwards.

This is more than just a matter of having access to material possessions. [By the way, you say you disagree that they wanty materialism. I assume you mean that you disagreee that they want material possessions, as it is clear beyonf cavil that the radical islamic culture rejects thre values of amterialism] If it were, we would not see so many radical muslims in Germany, France and other European countries (or even in Indoneisa, for that matter). This is a war of cultures, of ideas. Economic progress may be important, but it is not the answer, or an exclusive first step.

You are right about one thing; I don't ahve the answers, but I certainly don't think seduction by Wal-Mart should be the focus.
I think both of you are right.

And sadly it's going to take a couple of generations at the minimum if this kind of Nazi-istic and Satanic hatred is to be reversed.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:47 AM   #19
RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters
I'm on the Lord's side. Whose side are you on?
You gonna ever answer the question or just keep being smug? I know you enjoy the mind games, but how about taking an honest stab at the question.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:49 AM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

You guys talk like everything is going so poorly.

Syria was forced to withdraw from Lebanon. Libya has made amends with the West and seeks greater integration. Egypt is more worried about Palestinian refugees than they care about Israel. Iraq has a fledgling democracy. Until the mullahs cracked down recently, Iran was on a path to greater liberalization. Pakistan continues to cooperate with us (at least not openly oppose us). Millions of Muslims live peacefully in the United States. Millions more in Indonesia.

Yes, we have some bad players. We have some bad religious leaders. We have people that adhere to this craziness. So what should we do about it?

"I DON'T KNOW WHAT WE SHOULD DO, BUT MAN, I'M CALLING YOU OUT, BECAUSE YOU'RE A SATANIC RADICAL ISLAM-LOVER, WHO SUPPORTS MURDER AND TERROR"

sorry, I'm done with that conversation.