cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
The Borg

The Borg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default "Religion" catagory needs to be split

Reading some of the "religion" posts the past few weeks, I think there needs to be a split in the religion catagory.

Catagory #1) "Religion"
- dealing with normal topics of gospel related questions, discussions;

Catagory #2) "Philosophies of Men, Mingled with Scripture"
- dealing with contrived reasoning, in depth analysis over the multiple meaning of some word, current philosphies of learned human behavior.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:13 PM   #2
UtahDan

UtahDan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Borg View Post
Reading some of the "religion" posts the past few weeks, I think there needs to be a split in the religion catagory.

Catagory #1) "Religion"
- dealing with normal topics of gospel related questions, discussions;

Catagory #2) "Philosophies of Men, Mingled with Scripture"
- dealing with contrived reasoning, in depth analysis over the multiple meaning of some word, current philosphies of learned human behavior.
That is SO clever! Hopefully you will be available to help us sort out which is which.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:25 PM   #3
The Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
That is SO clever! Hopefully you will be available to help us sort out which is which.

No way...I'm not smart enough!
Old 02-14-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
No way...I'm not smart enough!
Apparently you are.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:02 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Why the sarcastic responses? Borg is either sincere, in which case they are not justified, or he is trying to make a point, in which case they are non-responsive (although he may take it as proof that the point neededd to be made).

Moreover as a point, it is not entirely off-base to remind those of that are believers to tread carefully. What about that is deserving of these type of responses?
Old 02-14-2007, 04:05 PM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
Moreover as a point, it is not entirely off-base to remind those of that are believers to tread carefully. What about that is deserving of these type of responses?
Guilty consciences.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
UtahDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
I think its pretty condescending in that (1) it is a rebuke (2) it presumes that the author's idea of where that line is is the correct one. I'll keep my own counsel on that, thanks.

I don't have the least patience for him or you suggesting to me what it is appropriate for me to discuss on an internet message board. Opt out of and don't participate in whatever you deem inappropriate, but if you look down your nose at me and suggest that I should too then anticipate a tart reply.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:11 PM   #8
The Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Apparently you are.

...um...no. Hence my original post.

I find that there are some here that tread dangerously close to the spiritual edge with their intellectualism. There may be some on this board that may not be secure in their testimonies and may actually believe some of the bs put forth here and lose faith....all put forth under the guise of some intellectuals on here seeking for further truth, being impressed with their own knowledge, etc.

"The glory of God is intelligence"...but intelligence has to be combined with wisdom, or it more often than not, becomes a stumbling block to those very individuals (at least that has been my experience).
Old 02-14-2007, 04:13 PM   #9
UtahDan

Quote:
...um...no. Hence my original post.

I find that there are some here that tread dangerously close to the spiritual edge with their intellectualism. There may be some on this board that may not be secure in their testimonies and may actually believe some of the bs put forth here and lose faith....all put forth under the guise of some intellectuals on here seeking for further truth, being impressed with their own knowledge, etc.

"The glory of God is intelligence"...but intelligence has to be combined with wisdom, or it more often than not, becomes a stumbling block to those very individuals (at least that has been my experience).
Thanks for your concern.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:18 PM   #10
The Borg

Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahDan View Post
I think its pretty condescending in that (1) it is a rebuke (2) it presumes that the author's idea of where that line is is the correct one.
Not trying to be condescending at all. Just common sense. How could I presume to say what anyone can say or not say on a message board???

If you, or anyone else on this board has ever served a mission (I'm assuming most on here purport to be LDS)...then you know how people are all over the spectrum regarding their spirituality.

It is easy to throw things about, on a message board,... but you never know how it will affect people. If one finds themselves calling LDS authors or GA's derogatory names, saying they are full of crap, etc... is that constructive? Not saying you have to even be constructive...don't know what I"m trying to say at the moment...but, I would think that one would be more sensitive to the various levels of spirituality of people who are "out there".

I am half serious about a "philosophy" catagory.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 02-14-2007 at 04:18 PM. Reason: fixed quote
The Borg is offline   Reply With Quote