cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Other College Sports

Old 11-06-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wow, un-freaking-believable thuggish behavior in BYU women's soccer game

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=462...goryid=2378529

I am dumbfounded watching those clips. She should be arrested and charged with assault.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow. Simply wow.

Those girls should be banned for a few games. Only one yellow card for all that.

At least the better sports won.

To read the Lobo line on the game, you would think they won.

http://www.golobos.com/sports/w-socc...110509aaa.html

Last edited by Archaea; 11-06-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Archaea

Follow up, just a little hair tug.

http://www.krqe.com/dpp/sports/ncaa/...337#idc-ctools

Now it's international:

http://www.inentertainment.co.uk/200...-player-video/

Comment below is telling:

Quote:
New Mexico soccer player Elizabeth Lambert played a devil-dirty game in the match against BYI by committing enough fouls to make any American Football match look like a ballet dance. With aggressive slide tackles, punches, and a distasteful incident where she yanks the back of another players ponytail, bringing her to the ground.
Old 08-25-2010, 03:38 AM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lambert reinstated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5493335

I think it's funny that this was front-page news for ESPN, and was aired on the ESPN sportscenter ticker on ESPN radio.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lambert reinstated.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5493335

I think it's funny that this was front-page news for ESPN, and was aired on the ESPN sportscenter ticker on ESPN radio.
Amazing that she got off so lightly. Wait, this is New Mexico, so I guess it's not amazing, but standard operations for that university.

The argument from Lambert that thuggish play is expected amongst the men, but women should be allowed to play like street hoodlums doesn't sit well with me. Soccer needs to clean up its act, just as basketball does. By definition of the sport, fouls need to be called.

I can think of no level in men's soccer where a slug to the back or a yank on the hair would be permissible. The fact remains, Lambert is a thug and a lousy soccer player. She wants to excuse the inexcusable by using the sexism card and mislabeling her outlandish behavior as rough play. F... her and keep her type out of the game.

Last edited by Archaea; 08-25-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Archaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:54 PM   #6
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone needs a hug.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
wuapinmon

wuapinmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
Amazing that she got off so lightly. Wait, this is New Mexico, so I guess it's not amazing, but standard operations for that university.

The argument from Lambert that thuggish play is expected amongst the men, but women should be allowed to play like street hoodlums doesn't sit well with me. Soccer needs to clean up its act, just as basketball does. By definition of the sport, fouls need to be called.

I can think of no level in men's soccer where a slug to the back or a yank on the hair would be permissible. The fact remains, Lambert is a thug and a lousy soccer player. She wants to excuse the inexcusable by using the sexism card and mislabeling her outlandish behavior as rough play. F... her and keep her type out of the game.
This quote from Mike's link:

Quote:
The Internet and the media are great resources. The world wouldn't be where we are without it," Vela said. "But I think when something goes that viral when it was an honest mistake -- and I say mistake, she was in the heat of competition -- it's unfortunate that it can become that negative."
reminds me of a textbook example of postmodern dialogism. Screw objective truth, "It was an honest mistake." I'd be willing to bet a penny that this has everything to do with a power relation across multiple horizons. The coach over her player; the coach's attempt to look tough to her opponents in the conference; the athletic director; regents; the player's parents.

What's more fascinating, considering the postmodernity of the situation is the coach's willingness to blame the scene, not the agent. It's almost like she's saying that the technology is to blame of the 'honest mistake' rather than the Lambert girl's agency. I would counter that it became negative the moment it happened. That's akin to a prisoner being contrite because he/she got caught.
wuapinmon is offline   Reply With Quote