cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 07-16-2008, 04:29 PM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
you can buy curry blocks at a number of places in the Asian section. The basic principle is that the curry block mixes with hot water to form the sauce.

Brown chicken pieces. Toss in some water. Add carrots first (take longest to cook). Then potato cubes/pieces and onions. Add curry cube/blocks. Done.

Dish over sticky white rice.
You and Jay use chicken? I don't get that. Pork, even beef, is so much better.

As noted I cook the meat and the onions and garlic first (the aroma get's the family in the curry mood). Then water with some of the block/paste along with the carrots. Then more water with the potatoes and more block for taste and and a nice consistency.

I am always a hero when I make curry, as simple as it is.

I once had a roomate at BYU that had lived in Japan and hated kare raisu. I didn't trust him.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:32 PM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

beef is fine as long as it is lean. You don't want gristle in your curry.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:38 PM   #13
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You and Jay use chicken? I don't get that. Pork, even beef, is so much better.

As noted I cook the meat and the onions and garlic first (the aroma get's the family in the curry mood). Then water with some of the block/paste along with the carrots. Then more water with the potatoes and more block for taste and and a nice consistency.

I am always a hero when I make curry, as simple as it is.

I once had a roomate at BYU that had lived in Japan and hated kare raisu. I didn't trust him.
I made curry the other week because Gidget wanted some. I used pork. I think it was decent.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:42 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Wife and kids like chicken better. It's cheaper and easier to dice up. I think I've grown accustomed to it and like it the best now. As I recall in Korea and Japan, beef was the most common way to do it, but all my cooking has become my family's version of the Korean and Japanese originals. For example, bacon and hot dog and chicken as the meat in yakiniku.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:43 PM   #15
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
For example, bacon and hot dog and chicken as the meat in yakiniku.
Ew. Do you call it Yuckyniku?

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 04:53 PM   #16
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfah View Post
Ew. Do you call it Yuckyniku?
I don't eat the hot dogs, the kids do. The bacon is a nice addition. A little bit like Korean sam kyop sal.

I will bring out traditional Korean sauces along with the Japanese yakinuki sauce, like sam jang (fermented soy bean paste mixed with red pepper paste, sugar, and sesame oil) or the traditional sam kyo sal sauce--salt pile in sesame oil. also garlic slices and korean style green pepper slices. It's my favorite meal.
Old 07-16-2008, 04:59 PM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
Only Nipponophiles eat Vermont Curry. True curry aficionados eat Thai-style curries.
You're a curry snob.

Kare raisu is a working man's meal, salt of the earth type of thing. Nothing like that effete coconut milk infused curry people eat with their pinkies sticking out.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:01 PM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
You're a curry snob.

Kare raisu is a working man's meal, salt of the earth type of thing. Nothing like that effete coconut milk infused curry people eat with their pinkies sticking out.
Another tip when eating curry or other soupy/stewy Asian dishes. Get a big bowl, jam your sticky rice into one half smashing it together tight making a line right down the middle of your bowl, then pour your curry into the other side. Each spoonful should be half rice half curry.
Old 07-16-2008, 05:04 PM   #19
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I had a girl make it for me once with spam. I could barely choke it down.
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 05:08 PM   #20
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Wife and kids like chicken better. It's cheaper and easier to dice up. I think I've grown accustomed to it and like it the best now. As I recall in Korea and Japan, beef was the most common way to do it, but all my cooking has become my family's version of the Korean and Japanese originals. For example, bacon and hot dog and chicken as the meat in yakiniku.
That's just wrong, Jay.