cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Outdoor / Scouting / Survival

Old 02-05-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Getting started - Purchasing a first gun

SAFETY FIRST!!!
Before actually thinking about what kind of gun to purchase, the first step is to seriously consider the safety aspects. Can I keep a gun safely? Where will I keep it? Will I be able to keep it safely away from children (for example)? Is my spouse supportive of this? Responsible gun ownership means carefully considering all angles of ownership, from the most basic practical considerations to the moral and ethical aspects as well.

Factors to consider before purchasing a first gun:

1. Function. Why do you want a gun? What purpose do you expect it to serve? A gun purchased for self-defense is obviously going to be different than one purchased for sporting purposes, for example. Do you want a jack-of-all-trades kind of gun, or a highly specialized gun?
a. Home defense. Typically a handgun or short-barrel shotgun is selected. Handguns kept for home defense tend to be larger in dimensions, and larger in caliber size than handguns used for concealed carry.

b. Concealed carry. Handguns--either a semi-automatic pistol or revolver. Often smaller form-factors are preferred.

c. Hunting. Long-barrel shotguns and rifles. Hunting with handguns is only for the advanced hunter.

d. Sporting. This is kind of a grab-bag category. This would include everything from shooting clay pigeons with a shotgun, to accuracy/target shooting, to practical pistol competitions.

e. Plinking. This is recreational shooting without terrific concern about accuracy or reliable function.

f. TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). This is a gun that is kept as a kind of fail-safe in case of some kind of catastrophe. But otherwise, no use is expected of it. This could be a rifle, but there is a strong argument that in most catastrophic scenarios, a handgun would be the most useful weapon, because of its concealability.
2. Cost. Gun ownership can be costly. Not only do you have to consider the price of the weapon, there is also the price of the ammunition, the cleaning tools and supplies, as well as eye/ear protection, targets, and security (trigger lock, safe).
a. Cost of the gun. Guns vary in cost from less than $100 to tens of thousands of dollars. Up to a point, the maxim 'you get what you pay for' holds true with guns. Once you are beyond about $1000, you are typically paying for relatively small differences, in my opinion (speaking of non-competition, practical guns).

b. Cost of ammunition. This is highly variable. In general, the smaller and more common the caliber, the cheaper it is. On one end of the spectrum, .22LR rimfire rounds are very cheap. Hundreds of rounds can be shot for the price of movie ticket(s). On the other end of the spectrum are your larger caliber handgun and rifles. A hunting-type rifle round can easily cost more than $1 per cartridge. Hollow-point and specialty rounds are more expensive than full-metal jacket "plinking" ammunition. Ammunition used by international militaries tend to be cheaper, as it is manufactured across the world. For example, it is not unheard of for someone to choose a handgun in 9mm, because the ammunition is much cheaper than .40S&W and .45ACP, for example.

c. Cost of location. You can't just shoot anywhere. You need a location to do so safely and legally. Gun ranges are often a good option for urban folk such as myself. Some are private, some are public. Some require a yearly membership, some do not. Some are outdoors, some are indoors. The cheapest ranges in my area are about $10 per session.
3. Performance/Reliability. For some applications, like concealed carry and self-defense, performance and reliability is absolutely critical. For plinking and shooting clay pigeons, it less important. The level of reliability you need might influence what platform you choose--for example, the ability to fire 6 rounds in a row without a malfunction is very high with a revolver. With a semi-automatic pistol, the chances that 6 trigger pulls lead to 6 rounds fired may actually be relatively lower, given the variation of combinations of gun/ammunition/magazines. Sometimes there is a trade-off between accuracy and reliability--for example looser tolerances and a more forgiving barrel ramp may lead to heightened reliability, but slightly less accuracy.

4. Aesthetics. For some people this is an important consideration. They just don't want a gun that's "ugly." For other people, it's not a factor at all. Fortunately, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Next steps before purchase:

1. A mentor. It is extremely helpful to have a mentor in making these decisions. You can easily reach information overload and not be able to make a smart decision. Being able to turn to someone that you know, respect, and trust is invaluable. In my case, my mentor was my uncle, a gun dealer. Even though we don't live in the same state, and rarely see each other, he has been extremely helpful in guiding me along.

2. A community. I think it is helpful to dive into the online world of gun owners to ask questions. However, you will encounter a number of things that will make this difficult: 1) consensus opinion that is based on myth, and 2) wildly contradictory advice. However, there is also consensus opinion that is based on wisdom, and in encountering arguments and debates, you will begin to synthesize what is important and what is not. It helps to have a mentor to double-check things with. You may also consider purchasing books about guns and gun ownership.

3. Handle a gun. A pistol can seem like a mysterious black-box if you've never handled one yourself. Sure we have all seen the movies (why do we so often hear hammers cocked on guns with no cocking hammers?), but trust me, they are not very helpful when someone hands you a gun with the expectation that you know how to look at it and evaluate it. I remember going to a small gun store before my first purchase. The store owner removed the gun from the glass case, racked the slide, checked the chamber, dry-fired it, then removed the slide, and finally put he gun back together. He handed it to me, and I felt like a complete idiot. I had never handled a semiauto pistol. Instead of trying to "fake it", I simply told him, I have no idea what I'm doing here. And then he showed me what to do. And then I was good. If you have a friend that you can show you, great. If not, go to a gun shop, and be honest about your interests and desire to learn. They will show you the ropes.

4. A gun shop. There are good gun shops and then there are bad ones. A bad one is a place where the staff are rude, inconsiderate, unknowledgeable, and sometimes even racist. A good gun shop can get you going in the right direction. The markup at guns shops is often considerable, but they have to pay the employees and the rent, so that is what it is.

5. A gun show. Gun shows are a great place for buying a gun if you know what you want, and for what price. It can also be fun to look at the merchandise, or even just people-watch. You will see a much greater variety at a gun show, and usually guns can be bought for better prices that at gun shops. Hence, many shops actually have tables at gun shows.

6. Online gun auction sites. I find these sites very useful for researching prices of guns. I have never myself purchased a gun from any of these sites (e.g. gunbroker.com), but would not hesitate to do so, if I found the right gun for the right price. The procedure is very much like ebay, except instead of the gun being sent directly to you, it is sent to a person/store with a FFL (Federal Firearm License) who charges you a transfer fee when you pick the gun up. This fee is usually at least $15 and probably most frequently $25. Often by not having to pay sales tax, you come ahead even after shipping and fee. The disadvantage, of course, is that you cannot inspect the weapon beforehand, although more reputable sellers will have return policies.

7. Safe storage. This is really essential, and you need to have your storage method ready BEFORE you take possession of your gun. Your storage method will vary depending on what kind of security and access you need. For some people, storage may merely be the use of a trigger lock. Or absent any children (ever) in the home, a person might not choose to use any kind of storage at all (besides placing it in an unlocked bedstand drawer). Of course, this method is great for thieves. A 1500 lb. safe is great to prevent theft and unauthorized access, but typically not great for quick access in event of an emergency or threat. Many small handgun safes are available that provide both security and quick access. My personal recommendation is to purchase one that does not employ a key or any kind of electrical device. A quick-access mechanical combination lock is ideal in my opinion. Nothing could be more devastating than a child being killed by an improperly stored firearm. Even if you are a great teacher, and your kids always listen, you still run that higher chance of an accident. I would not risk it. People spending thousands of dollars on guns, but nothing on safe storage, is penny-wise pound-foolish.
(to be continued)

Last edited by MikeWaters; 02-13-2009 at 03:06 PM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Great post, Mike. Excellent advice for prospective buyers.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:34 PM   #3
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post

f. TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it). This is a gun that is kept as a kind of fail-safe in case of some kind of catastrophe. But otherwise, no use is expected of it. This would most likely be a rifle.
Do you really think the roving gangs of cannibals wouldn't get you? McCarthy's The Road is Disneyland compared to what it will really be like.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 05:52 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
Do you really think the roving gangs of cannibals wouldn't get you? McCarthy's The Road is Disneyland compared to what it will really be like.
My point is that some might might purchase a gun without any intention of using it on a practical basis. They like the idea of owning one "just in case" of societal breakdown or some other kind of extreme event.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #5
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
LOL. I am sitting here trying to think of what would be worse than the anarchy portrayed in "The Road". Help me out.
Old 02-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
LOL. I am sitting here trying to think of what would be worse than the anarchy portrayed in "The Road". Help me out.
I can't really think of it being worse either . . . a testament more to McCarthy's imagination that my lack of one, I think. Which makes the use of The Road a perfect tool foir hyperbole when trying to say something else will be worse!

It's been several months since I read The Road. It stays with me still . . .
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:08 PM   #7
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I have revised to suggest that a rifle might not be the best choice in TEOTWAWKI, if one only has a choice of one gun. This is based on my reading of FerFal and his experience in the Argentinian economic catastrophe.
Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #8
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I have revised to suggest that a rifle might not be the best choice in TEOTWAWKI, if one only has a choice of one gun. This is based on my reading of FerFal and his experience in the Argentinian economic catastrophe.
I would still choose a rifle, I think. Either way, I got enough to outfit my immediate family, so we will all be carrying something.
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 03:42 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
I would still choose a rifle, I think. Either way, I got enough to outfit my immediate family, so we will all be carrying something.
Have you read FERFAL?
Old 04-29-2009, 03:52 PM   #10
Coach McGuirk

Coach McGuirk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you read FERFAL?
I have not, you may have to enlighten me for this discussion. In my SHTF or TEOTWAWKI, as you put it, it involves 5 related families totalling about 37 people. In senario 1, we head to the cabin in the mountain, given we have time. Once there, I think a rifle is crucial to the hunting that would subsidize the food storage that is in place. With a handgun you are almost certainly outgunned in every situation.

<Tin foil hat removed>
"Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays. Now you prepare that Fetzer valve with some 3-in-1 oil and some gauze pads. And I'm gonna need 'bout ten quarts of anti-freeze, preferably Prestone. No, no make that Quaker State. "
Coach McGuirk is offline   Reply With Quote