cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 10-12-2012, 03:20 AM   #31
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levin View Post
The point is the same point with any prosecution of liars, cheats, and frauds. It's because they broke the rules, and those charged with enforcing those rules have a duty to prosecute those who break them.

Should the feds have ignored Al Capone b/c his misdeeds were in the past and he had left the crime business?

Your logic is nuts. There actually is no logic there but some misplaced emotion for a bully. Maybe you take PEDs; don't know. But your devotion to Lance, and dumb arguments in his favor, are odd.
You're an asshole.

Not that you deserve a response, but I have no reason to ever take PED's and my poor performances should back that up.

My logic is simple. The violations were not caught, if they existed, at the time of competition. They are malum prohibitum. There is nothing inherently wrong with taking a substance to compete with the others except some rules say so.

The laws allegedly violated are hybrid, sophisticated laws that do not protect or benefit society. My logic is to enforce laws that matter.

Rape, murder, theft matter.

Some of these hyper-sensitive laws do not. If you catch Al Capone at age 99, I really don't care. I don't have the high sense of blood lust you do.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #32
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

If Lance distributed EPO, like Hincapie said he did, then he violated the law. He's not licensed to distribute drugs.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #33
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
You're an asshole.

Fuck you and the horse you rode in on.
lolz. It's like I insulted your wife or something.

Sorry your buddy Lance got caught that was cheating the entire time. Must be hard to watch. All your response is that it doesn't matter.

Well it does to a civil society.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:30 AM   #34
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
If Lance distributed EPO, like Hincapie said he did, then he violated the law. He's not licensed to distribute drugs.
But that's not rape or murder!! Ignore it.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 02:34 PM   #35
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think the UCI doesn't like this investigation of Lance one bit. For two reasons:

1) If Lance has his titles stripped, who wins? 20 out of the 21 podiums in the 7 years Lance won are implicated dopers.

2) UCI is complicit in a coverup for Lance. My speculation is that this was always his ace in the hole.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #36
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Cyclists that testified against Lance and admitted doping got 6 month suspensions.

However, if found to have lied under oath, could be prosecuted for perjury.

The thing that makes it easy on an emotional level to have Lance finally outed as a cheater, is that he is a despicable person in his private life, by many/most accounts. It's not like a nice stand-up guy just got busted.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #37
Archaea

Quote:
Oh brother.

Do we want to prosecute everybody who distributes steroids?

First things first.

On the basketball court, there is a lot of pushing and shoving that goes on. Some of it is called and some of it is not. After the game, should we review tapes to call more fouls?

If a person tests clean, even if they somehow beat the test, it should be the end of the story.

Racers use the PED's to be equal with the other racers. Why do cyclists use PED's? Because the race directors structure these impossible series of stages from which recovery is near impossible without chemical assistance. I don't hear the crowd which would like to "clean up the sport", asking for the causes of the need for these PED's to be changed. No, we have morality police because jealousy steps in and we can't stand success.

No sport is clean. Look what happens when they put the screws down on baseball, football, track. Cycling tests more than almost any other sport.

We have swimmers cheating. Live and let live. This is not malum per se.
Old 10-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #38
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I wasn't aware that Lance Armstrong was prosecuted. Link?

Dopers are almost never prosecuted.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...g_to_jail.html

Lance is now reduced to claiming he was the only clean one in the peleton, but everyone else on his team cheated. And while he had an intimate relationship with the most notorious drug pusher in cycling (Dr. Ferrari), he was not getting PEDs.

Sad.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 AM   #39
Archaea

Quote:
I wasn't aware that Lance Armstrong was prosecuted. Link?

Dopers are almost never prosecuted.
http://www.slate.com/articles/sports...g_to_jail.html

Lance is now reduced to claiming he was the only clean one in the peleton, but everyone else on his team cheated. And while he had an intimate relationship with the most notorious drug pusher in cycling (Dr. Ferrari), he was not getting PEDs.

Sad.
I don't see why it's important. He competed on the field which is about as level as it will get.

He was a good racer, not a special human being.

But, as you have duly noted, cycling is destroyed. So what is the purpose of all this except to pad the reputation of a prosecutor? Nothing. More cynicism, more loss of faith and the sport won't clean up as Contador shows.

In reality, we shouldn't police doping and should allow it.
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM   #40
MikeWaters
Demiurge

then that's what this fight is about. You are pro-doping. I am anti-doping.