cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:46 AM   #11
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

No one ever laid claim to Jimmer having phenomenal athletic prowess to begin with.

He is very basketball saavy and plays the game with an uncanny intensity that you don't see very often. In fact for the first while he may struggle because of his wanting to win so bad, not in spite of it...but in time he's gonna be a guy who can score for us consistently.

Probably not this season,,,,but we'll get enough glimpses to see what he can become.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:54 AM   #12
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
No one ever laid claim to Jimmer having phenomenal athletic prowess to begin with.

He is very basketball saavy and plays the game with an uncanny intensity that you don't see very often. In fact for the first while he may struggle because of his wanting to win so bad, not in spite of it...but in time he's gonna be a guy who can score for us consistently.

Probably not this season,,,,but we'll get enough glimpses to see what he can become.
Gerry Mcnamara
Old 10-30-2007, 02:52 PM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

He was also an all conference wide receiver. He isn't a great athlete, but I don't think he is an athletic liability either.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:06 PM   #14
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
He was also an all conference wide receiver. He isn't a great athlete, but I don't think he is an athletic liability either.
First, for those of us barely off the radar screen in terms of college athletic talent, if he played high school basketball and wide receiver, he's probably much above average athletically.

Second, if he can become a consistent scorer with reliable foul shooting, BYU can free up Cummard to become the player he needs to be.

I don't expect him to break down a defense all by himself, but perhaps he will help shoot over defenses to allow somebody else to drive the baseline or down the lane.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:12 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I am deferring judgement until I see him play in a real game. How's that for a concept?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #16
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I am deferring judgement until I see him play in a real game. How's that for a concept?
Yeah, but the catch is that after one game you will make your mind up about his future 120 games as a collegian.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 PM   #17
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Jimmer is one of the

types that Rose goes after. He likes to have a shooter in the 6-6'3" range who can fill it up. Jimmer fills that spot very well other examples are Burgess and Rose. He seems to also like big wings who can shoot Balderson and Cummardare examples. He likes an undersized PF (thus supporting my position that Miles and Plaisted rarely see the floor together. Examples are Tav, Young, and that Brazilian kid who played well in 05 but rarely saw the floor last year. He likes centers who can run (Plaisted, Miles, Anderson) but not huge guys (Burgess). Finally, he likes to have a collection of pseudo point guards. At least one who is quick but out of control, one who is slow and savvy, and all of them need to be able to shoot from range.

Given Jimmer's type and how Rose has used it in the past, I think Jimmer plays a role this year similar to Rose's last year. He gets a green light when he's in but if he's off, he goes back to the bench. The better he defends, the more latitude he will get.
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:42 PM   #18
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post
types that Rose goes after. He likes to have a shooter in the 6-6'3" range who can fill it up. Jimmer fills that spot very well other examples are Burgess and Rose. He seems to also like big wings who can shoot Balderson and Cummardare examples. He likes an undersized PF (thus supporting my position that Miles and Plaisted rarely see the floor together. Examples are Tav, Young, and that Brazilian kid who played well in 05 but rarely saw the floor last year. He likes centers who can run (Plaisted, Miles, Anderson) but not huge guys (Burgess). Finally, he likes to have a collection of pseudo point guards. At least one who is quick but out of control, one who is slow and savvy, and all of them need to be able to shoot from range.

Given Jimmer's type and how Rose has used it in the past, I think Jimmer plays a role this year similar to Rose's last year. He gets a green light when he's in but if he's off, he goes back to the bench. The better he defends, the more latitude he will get.
Welcome. On what Rose wants with respect to PGs, I read what you described and my mind went in the direction of the quote "fat women need lovin' too!" and it was reinforced by Utefans who really believe Kyle Whittingham is as good a coach as Bronco Mendenhall. Does Rose want those types of pgs or is he dealing with what he knows he can get and then hoping that one-two step up as D1 quality pgs?
Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-dog View Post

I think the general rule on Rose is that he would rather go shorter and quicker than taller and slower. Thus, you get smallish 4's, and three guard lineups at times. I agree I doubt we see Plaisted and Miles together on the court. I think he'd love to have better points but he's had a struggle recruiting them. Morgan's a head scratcher. We desperately need a JC point, he'd step in and start on a 20 win team, and we can't find anything better than a 5'9 guy who doesn't shoot?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 09:09 PM   #20
K-dog

K-dog is on a distinguished road
Default Nice point Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Welcome. On what Rose wants with respect to PGs, I read what you described and my mind went in the direction of the quote "fat women need lovin' too!" and it was reinforced by Utefans who really believe Kyle Whittingham is as good a coach as Bronco Mendenhall. Does Rose want those types of pgs or is he dealing with what he knows he can get and then hoping that one-two step up as D1 quality pgs?

Maybe it is the best he can get. IDK, I just know that is what he gets and we can tell how he will use current talent based on how he used past talent. Jimmer seems a lot like a certain redhead we had last year.
K-dog is offline   Reply With Quote