cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 PM   #51
Travis Henry

Travis Henry is on a distinguished road
Default I wish that wearing blue shirts or patterned shirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lingo, if wearing blue shirts gets you out of callings in your ward, it must be the mullah-ward of all mullah-wards.
did the trick, but I live in a non-mullah area and ward. The EQP wears blue or patterned shirts a majority of the time.

On the other hand, the Vancouver, Washington area has to be the most mullah place I've ever been. Both my sister and brother live in the area (my brother and bro-in-law used to practice dentistry with each other), and I showed up to church with a light blue shirt when I was visiting them. My brother informed me that the anything besides a white shirt hadn't been seen for ages and it was tantamount to committing fornication in the eyes in the locals. I've heard of a number of screwy stories coming out of the place.

Meanwhile they're having a real epidemic of their missionaries coming home early- in fact about 3 years ago a MAJORITY of the missionaries called from my brother's stake for, I think, 2003 and 2004 were coming home early.
Travis Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:52 PM   #52
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Henry View Post
On the other hand, the Vancouver, Washington area has to be the most mullah place I've ever been. Both my sister and brother live in the area (my brother and bro-in-law used to practice dentistry with each other), and I showed up to church with a light blue shirt when I was visiting them. My brother informed me that the anything besides a white shirt hadn't been seen for ages and it was tantamount to committing fornication in the eyes in the locals. I've heard of a number of screwy stories coming out of the place.

Meanwhile they're having a real epidemic of their missionaries coming home early- in fact about 3 years ago a MAJORITY of the missionaries called from my brother's stake for, I think, 2003 and 2004 were coming home early.
As a result, their girlfriends will all go off to BYU and marry RMs, even the pregnant ones.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 09:54 PM   #53
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
As a result, their girlfriends will all go off to BYU and marry RMs, even the pregnant ones.
Farrah is from Vancouver, WA, and I can attest to the fact these girls can hook up with the wrong guys.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:56 PM   #54
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerCoug View Post
Don't be too social at Church. Keep people guessing. NEVER attend an activity. If your ward is the last to meet in the building, never help pick up chairs (even when asked).
Attend church reeking of tobacco.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:09 AM   #55
NorCal Cat

NorCal Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
My Hillary '08 shirt is about as close to foolproof as you can get. Use their biases against them.
Hillary '08 shirt, Church of Satan shirt...same difference. I'm sure it does work great.
NorCal Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 12:15 AM   #56
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

i just got called to work with the teachers. when the bishop called me in, he was initially going to put me with the deacons, but I told him that I *hate* camping with a passion, so teachers it was.
I'd prefer working with youth to anything. Adults are jerks and hopeless. Kids are fun.
My dad was bishop of my ward growing up. A few years back, he summed up what he learned: "Focus on the kids. You have a chance with them. The adults wont listen to you anyway."
Old 10-24-2007, 12:26 AM   #57
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
i just got called to work with the teachers. when the bishop called me in, he was initially going to put me with the deacons, but I told him that I *hate* camping with a passion, so teachers it was.
I'd prefer working with youth to anything. Adults are jerks and hopeless. Kids are fun.
My dad was bishop of my ward growing up. A few years back, he summed up what he learned: "Focus on the kids. You have a chance with them. The adults wont listen to you anyway."
Your dad is wise. The best Bishops I knew focused on the "yoots".

No longer a Seminary Teacher?

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:29 AM   #58
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

I agree all callings should go to Utes, and Cougs should be given time with their kin.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:35 AM   #59
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

No, when I moved here, 6 weeks ago, I had to be released. They had a hard time finding a new teacher too, I taught the last morning I was in town.
That sucked, I loved that calling. But I'm going back in 3 weeks to pack the house up, and I'm going to early morning sem. to see "my kids". Can't wait.
Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 AM   #60
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
No, when I moved here, 6 weeks ago, I had to be released. They had a hard time finding a new teacher too, I taught the last morning I was in town.
That sucked, I loved that calling. But I'm going back in 3 weeks to pack the house up, and I'm going to early morning sem. to see "my kids". Can't wait.
How sad.

My eldest daughter has a pretty good teacher; they're celebrating Passover tomorrow morning. Sadly, my youngest daughter's instructor is a little burned out and seems to pretty much just be going through the motions.

This early morning stuff was the hardest adjustment for us. My wife is beginning to show deep signs of resentment for those Utah released-time kids. Well, I guess not that much resentment, but every morning she wonders "Why? Why?"