cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 06-11-2008, 05:00 PM   #21
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I'm fly at Fatburger when I'm way out West.
http://cougarguard.com/forum/showpos...3&postcount=17

You are a bit late with that my friend.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 03:11 AM   #22
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

It's been six months since I posted this question, and now need additional ideas.

Between July 9-19 I'll be passing through the western L.A. valley four times. I've been to Phillipe's, Tommy's, Ruby's, Tito's, and Cielito Lindo. Haven't made it to Cole's or Johnnie's. What else do you recommend?
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 09:53 PM   #23
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

Here's a few:

The Apple Pan: (across the street from Westside Pavillion): Their hamburgers are top notch.

The Shack: (Playa Del Rey-off Culver Blvd): Good burgers, haven't eaten there in some time.

Jay Bee's BBQ: (Gardena-off Avalon Blvd): My favorite bbq joint.

Aunty Kizzy's (Marina Del Rey): Southern/Soul Food. Frequent stop of NBA players when they're in town. If you go, make sure to have dessert.

El Rocoto (Gardena-Artesia/Normandie Blvd). Great Peruvian food; much better than El Pollo Inka.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #24
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Agreed on Apple Pan. Great burgers....get the hickory burger. Also, everyone gets a slice of apple pie.

Your list was surprisingly devoid of Pinks. Pinks is an institution, so you really need to go at least once. To get the full experience...go late....like midnight. Nothing like standing in line for 45 minutes at midnight to get a hot dog.

FYI, Coles is closed down, at least for now. There was a lot of construction along 6th street and so Cole's closed up its shop. The signage is still there, so perhaps they will re-open at some point. Hopefully, because that place was good.

If you want to go to J-town, go to Shabu Shabu...always packed, open at weird hours, and very delicious.

For the moster burrito of all time, go to El Tepeyac in East LA.

If you are around during lunch hours....the best pastrami sandwich in the country....Langer's Deli on 7th and Alvarado. I plugged this one before, but it is worth it. Let me know if you plan on going.

Also, I will bet dollars to donuts that Sipi has eaten his fair share of late-night at Chano's. The old chorizo burrito is pretty tasty. Good luck understanding anything through that awful drive-through speakerbox.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
SipiTau

SipiTau is on a distinguished road

I'm not too big on Pinks, but you're absolutely spot on about having to experience it.

I've had my fair share of Chano's and their burritos are great. My buddies and I used to call our food runs the triple crown: Philipe's, Tommy's and then topped off with a burrito from Chano's...good times.
SipiTau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 11:59 PM   #26
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
My buddies and I used to call our food runs the triple crown: Philipe's, Tommy's and then topped off with a burrito from Chano's...good times.
You ate at all three consecutively? Dang.
Old 07-08-2008, 12:40 AM   #27
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by SipiTau View Post
I'm not too big on Pinks, but you're absolutely spot on about having to experience it.

I've had my fair share of Chano's and their burritos are great. My buddies and I used to call our food runs the triple crown: Philipe's, Tommy's and then topped off with a burrito from Chano's...good times.
Why not end it all with a 4th addition....a short pit stop at La Taquiza, right off Adams and Fig.......those mulitas and al pastors are basically what the gods eat when they are in town for an SC football game.

Speaking of SC football, single game tickets go onsale July 20. I am crossing my fingers for Luckeyes tickets. I wish my brother played for SC.....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #28
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

Went to Johnny's last Wednesday and had the pastrami sandwich; for $10.50 I would like more than an 8 oz. sandwich but fwiw it was yum.

Went to Chano's and asked for the Chano's burrito, for the element of surprise. I'm not too sure what was on it but it was great. Afterwards I intended to drive to Pink's but the 101 was PACKED (at 10pm on a Saturday) so I took side roads like 3rd and Vermont, and got there in no time. However, the line was around the corner, and around the next corner, and around the next corner. Forget that. Stupid cultists. And by then my Chano's had settled in and I wasn't hungry anymore, so I intended to leave, but the 101 southbound was also at a snail's crawl, so I tried to work my way to the 10, again on side roads like Wilshire and Alameda, but apparently drove right past it and didn't realize it, therefore staying south on Alameda, until suddenly my maps pointed out that I was a mile from Compton. Hmm, maybe I could ask people to point me to the street where Boys N the Hood was filmed, and take pictures. Or not. Instead I U-turned and pulled into some dive called Hurcules Restaurant just off the 105 and Imperial Hwy, to find a highway link to San Diego, and some arrogant Korean/Laos/Hispanic/Thai/Malaysian mix employee bullied me into ordering something for using his parking lot. So I got a carne asada quesadilla, drove home and put it in the fridge, and just had it for breakfast, and it was as good as I've had.

On Tuesday I'll be in Solvang. Any recommendations there? I hope someplace has Kringles.