cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 10-10-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fireplace

So it's of my wife's opinion that every home needs a fireplace. So we are getting a fireplace. We'll proably spend about $2500 when all is said and done I think, maybe a little less. The fireplace salesman said it would add at least 5-6k of value to the home as one of his benefit statements. I just kind of laughed... I hope we just get our money back with the way things are going.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 07:58 PM   #2
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
So it's of my wife's opinion that every home needs a fireplace. So we are getting a fireplace. We'll proably spend about $2500 when all is said and done I think, maybe a little less. The fireplace salesman said it would add at least 5-6k of value to the home as one of his benefit statements. I just kind of laughed... I hope we just get our money back with the way things are going.
I turned mine on for the first time the other night. We have a gas fireplace, nothing better than flipping a switch.

I remember growing having to haul in wood, and save all the newspapers, clean out the soot. Gas is the way to go.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Hey, at least you get a deduction for capital improvements.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #4
beelzebabette

beelzebabette is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bYuPride View Post
The fireplace salesman said it would add at least 5-6k of value to the home as one of his benefit statements. I just kind of laughed... I hope we just get our money back with the way things are going.
I just looked back at my dorky spreadsheet I used to evaluate houses when I was shopping last year. A gas fireplace rated the same as $20,000 less in sales price. Looking back, I should have reweighted, but it is important to those it's important to.
beelzebabette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
I turned mine on for the first time the other night. We have a gas fireplace, nothing better than flipping a switch.

I remember growing having to haul in wood, and save all the newspapers, clean out the soot. Gas is the way to go.
For sure.. Looking forward to just flipping the switch.

My parents used to have an old farmhouse in the south end of cache valley and we had a wood burning stove so I know all about saving papers and getting wood from outside.
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #6
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by beelzebabette View Post
I just looked back at my dorky spreadsheet I used to evaluate houses when I was shopping last year. A gas fireplace rated the same as $20,000 less in sales price. Looking back, I should have reweighted, but it is important to those it's important to.
In some large houses, a fireplace isn't necessarily a big deal.. my house is smaller however and it will be something people will notice whether they want to or not, due to the location of it, and they'll have to like fireplaces because it's a 'focal point' in the room (i watch to much HGTV). that said, you're right, some people value fireplaces more than others.

"I'm on my beater bike"

Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Pride, you fell of the "live within my means" wagon in less than 24 hours?
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 09:03 PM   #8
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
Pride, you fell of the "live within my means" wagon in less than 24 hours?
ha ha.. i thought about that as i was writing it.. i've saved for a fireplace for a while now, so it doesn't affect our monthly budgeting.. still would have been nice to save that for some emergency type thing.

"I'm on my beater bike"