cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 05-18-2007, 04:43 AM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default lawn patterns

how do you make the patterns in your lawn, like they have on some baseball fields? i saw on espn at some field has some radial pattern. is it cut at two heights?

as an aside, i can't get my 13 year old lawn mower to start this year. the $200 craftsman has served me well. As Sears is a 1 hour drive, I've cut my lawn with the weed trimmer the past two weeks. I'm pretty good at getting an even height. however, it takes a while. i'll probably name the new mower Darren.
Old 05-18-2007, 07:20 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

To do those cool patterns in the lawn you need a piece of equipment that is called a striper (it's really just a roller that you put on the back of your mower.) It attaches to the back of your lawn mower (though it maybe tough to find one for the usual mower that you can go buy at Sears or Home Depot, etc.) and what it does is makes the grass lie down as you mow it. When the grass lies down facing you, it appears lighter because it is reflecting the light toward you; grass lying down away is darker because the light is reflected away from you.

It's actually pretty simple and you could get a lawn roller to have the same effect. Of course, by simple, I mean making the lawn look like it has light and dark stripes; checkerboard is more time consuming than difficult, but logos like the big leagues have are tough, especially for a guy like me with no artistic talent.

Sorry about the long answer.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote