cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 10-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #1
bYuPride

bYuPride is an unknown quantity at this point
Default real estate license or finish school?

so i earned my associates degree in 2003. i then got lazy for a while... didn't do much in the way of school or work. in september of 2004 i started as a teller and worked my way up to branch manager this past july. throughout this time i would enroll almost every semester only to drop the classes a couple weeks in. i decided to enroll at UVU (my chosen major is business management with an emphasis in finance and banking) with my buddy this semester taking a couple business classes which i didn't drop.. one i enjoy and find helpful, and the other i loathe. i find it hard to focus on information when i don't find it immediately relevant. eventually i'd like to earn a degree only for the sake of making my wife happy... my observation on the reasons SOME people get degrees from a 4 year institutions will be for another time...

ANYWAY, my dad talked to me about continuing his real estate brokerage that he's done a little bit with here and there, but has kept his stuff current for the last 36 years. so here's what i've decided, at the beginning of the year i will take 1 class at UVU that i think will give me practical knowledge and enroll in real estate school to get my real estate license. my dad is well connected and gets thrown deals somewhat often just because people trust him... he has been deferring these deals to a friend who gives them to his real estate son. my dad would really like to give these deals to me and i'm happy to oblige. i'm looking at only maybe 1 or 2 deals a quarter. i think that would give us just enough income to be comfortable if we found a good deal on a house...

thoughts? should i put off the real estate license and finish my bachelors and be done in 3 years going 2 classes a semester? i don't see any financial benefit short term or long term by doing so, especially in the banking industry... or should i get my real estate license, get immediate extra income and continue my schooling taking forever. i obviously pretty much made my decision, but i'd like to hear your thoughts..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
bYuPride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 06:31 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm of the belief that getting an education is a good thing, especially if it will help you get into the working world to earn a living; however, I also believe that a lot of the way things are done in this country is a bunch of crap. The only reason people get hired after they jumped through all the hoops required to start their career is because the person who hires them had to jump through those same hoops.

If you can continue on what your dad started and have a career that will take care of you and your family, go for it. You can always continue your education a bit at a time if you feel that is important to you.

Dropping out of school didn't hurt Bill Gates.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 04:25 PM   #3
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm of the belief that getting an education is a good thing, especially if it will help you get into the working world to earn a living; however, I also believe that a lot of the way things are done in this country is a bunch of crap. The only reason people get hired after they jumped through all the hoops required to start their career is because the person who hires them had to jump through those same hoops.

If you can continue on what your dad started and have a career that will take care of you and your family, go for it. You can always continue your education a bit at a time if you feel that is important to you.

Dropping out of school didn't hurt Bill Gates.
i agree... getting a formal education (degree) never hurt anybody in the long run. it just seems that a 4 year degree would be great when breaking into a career, but well, i already feel like i'm into my career and MY education has been my experience working in banking, proven results and a built reputation is what will get me to the next level in banking. but like i said, the degree would only help me.

contuing to build on what my dad has done would be great. it's something i'm excited about and something i think i would do well at. it would be secondary income as i would only do it here and there so anything i earned would be a bonus..
Get your BYU license plates http://dmv.utah.gov/licensecollegiate.html#byu You do not have to wait for your current registration to expire. Get your freakin' plates on your vehicle and be TRUE BLUE!!!!!!

"I'm on my beater bike"

Translation: I had this baby custom-made in Tuscany using titanium blessed by the Pope. I took it to a wind tunnel and it disappeared. It weighs less than a fart and costs more than a divorce.
Old 10-07-2007, 05:34 PM   #4
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Real estate is one arena where I fully believe that experience is more important than education. If you want to make real estate your career then I'd get my license and start working for your old man. But if you anticipate only doing one or two deals here and there then I'd stick it out in school as it will help you in the corporate world. However, I imagine doing a few real estate deals would be more lucrative than what you could make as a branch manager. But you won't have the security of a dependable pay check.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #5
bYuPride

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Real estate is one arena where I fully believe that experience is more important than education. If you want to make real estate your career then I'd get my license and start working for your old man. But if you anticipate only doing one or two deals here and there then I'd stick it out in school as it will help you in the corporate world. However, I imagine doing a few real estate deals would be more lucrative than what you could make as a branch manager. But you won't have the security of a dependable pay check.
I don't have any plans as of right now to really go after real estate. My dad is a Bishop and every once in a while, people will ask my dad to list their house or investment property, but my dad feels wierd being a bishop and making money off his ward members.... So he's been giving the deals to his counselor who has a real estate son. My dad says if he's going to give these deals away, it might as well be to me.. So this would definitely be something very much on the side. I'd really be happy to do 1 or 2 deals a quarter. I'll eventually finish my degree, I may be 45, but i'll finish.

"I'm on my beater bike"