cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > Rules

Old 01-29-2008, 09:07 PM   #21
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

In all fairness to the admins here, a year or so back I left a post that became somewhat controversial because I used people's real names, and some were offended and PM'd Mike, asking him to edit my post. Mike PM'd me and asked if I would consider editing it, but he would not up and edit it himself, he left it up to the author to decide.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #22
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
I asked a simple question that has gone unanswered. Who changed my pic and why?

As I stated to mike in my PM, I dont care that the avatar was changed, in and of itself. I easily changed it back.

I am curious as to why mike would do such a thing. I find strange mike's refusal to address it quickly.
A legitimate concern that deserves an answer.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #23
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
In all fairness to the admins here, a year or so back I left a post that became somewhat controversial because I used people's real names, and some were offended and PM'd Mike, asking him to edit my post. Mike PM'd me and asked if I would consider editing it, but he would not up and edit it himself, he left it up to the author to decide.
Got it. That is a good example, so thanks.

I think my question is a legitimate one. From a policy perspective, what will the admins do or not do? Changing avatars is harmless fun. I get it. No big deal, even if the avatar was not funny or titilating. But it raises the general issue of having access to a user's preferences, being able to see inboxes, etc.

Mike is being purposefully evasive on the topic, but the cat and mouse nature of his wily ways do not bug me. He has made it clear that he does not nor will read PMs, which is good. He also ends his post emphasizing that he is dictator. What does this mean?

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #24
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Would you like me to post a screen shot of your user page, as the admin sees it in the admin control panel?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:22 PM   #25
TripletDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Would you like me to post a screen shot of your user page, as the admin sees it in the admin control panel?
No, I dont care about the screen shot.

I want you to stop being evasive. Just answer the questions being asked and all of this will just go away. Have you learned nothing about PR from Exxon Valdez, Bill Clinton, or BYU athletics airbrushing Araujo's tattoo?

Have you assume control of another user's CP, without their permission or knowledge, to change settings, preferences, or anything else? As the chief El Jefe, it seems like poor form to be doing that. Almost a breach of ethics, if you will, although I know you have an aversion to moral arguments.

If you did, why?

You just stated a page back that you cant even be bothered to read my posts, so something is not jibing. You cant be bothered to read my posts, but you can be bothered to think of a little joke and change my avatar?

Look mike, let me make this really easy for you. I like you. A lot. This poor comminication is kiiling our relationship.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
Old 01-29-2008, 09:28 PM   #26
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I could do anything I wanted to your account.

I could change the password, shut you out, impersonate you, change the associated email address, delete the accout, change the avatar, change the sig. These are all things that are theoretically possible.

If you can do it, I can do it.

Like all message boards that I know of, accounts exist at the whim of the admin. No one has a "right" to an account. Users have been banned, and will be banned.

The reason I don't answer your question, is because it is a stupid question.

One thing I don't know about is whether a vbulletin can theoretically allow an admin to know a person's password. Don't know about that one.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:36 PM   #27
TripletDaddy

Quote:
The reason I don't answer your question, is because it is a stupid question.
Maybe it is a stupid question. Or maybe you do not answer the question because you would have to admit to getting into the accounts of others. Which, as I said before, would be bad for your image.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #28
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Maybe it is a stupid question. Or maybe you do not answer the question because you would have to admit to getting into the accounts of others. Which, as I said before, would be bad for your image.
If you don't want a gremlin to change your avatar, then leave. That's the best I can offer you.

Consider it the price of having a "free" avatar, LOL.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #29
TripletDaddy

Quote:
If you don't want a gremlin to change your avatar, then leave. That's the best I can offer you.

Consider it the price of having a "free" avatar, LOL.
Mike, it is fine. No worries.

You have answered my question and everyone here and any guest can now see it. Per this thread I have learned:

- You dont read my posts
- You are a dictator
- If someone wants to post here, they need to be willing to let you get into their account, no matter how trivial it may be.

I have been put in my place. You won this round!

Old 01-29-2008, 09:59 PM   #30
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Mike, it is fine. No worries.

You have answered my question and everyone here and any guest can now see it. Per this thread I have learned:

- You dont read my posts
- You are a dictator
- If someone wants to post here, they need to be willing to let you get into their account, no matter how trivial it may be.

I have been put in my place. You won this round!
I am never "in" your account.

My beneficence is apparent to all. You sign up on this site, the first thing you do is rip on it. Then you rip on me. Then you continue ripping on me. That's fine.

People here that know me know that I am not running a business, and I am not running a popularity contest. So it would not be wise to operate under the assumption that I am.