cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Literae Humaniores

Old 05-30-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default Josephus a fascinating character

It so happens I've been reading a lot of Josephus lately. What a fascinating character. A Jewish noble and priest who received some Greco-Roman Classical education and a member of the Sanhedren and belonged to the Phariisees and the Sadducees (apparently to hedge his bets). As a general he led the Jewish response to the Roman invasion in Galilee to put down the revolt that led to the destruction of the Second Temple in 70. Apparently he was incompetant, becuase the Romans crushed the resistance efficiently (and we've learned how efffective a guerrilla war might have been), or maybe it was just becuase Josephus couldn't get along with any of the peasant leaders of the revolt, against whom he turned up his nose like a pompous ass. He wound up under seige in Jotapata and by his own admission committed mass murder on his own men in the most ignoble circumstances. They made a suicide pact and drew lots to see who would be the last standing, Josephus won and instead of keeping his pact to kill himself surrendered to Vespasian (likely he went last because he was the leader). He made an educated guess that Vespasian would be Emperor (Vespasian was the most powerful Roman military commander and Nero was about to self-destruct), citing some arcane Hebrew scriptures and a falling star (aping Joseph). When the "prophesy" came true he became a Roman citizen and practically Vespasian's adopted son.

When the Romans laid seige to Jerusalem he did, according to his account, try to persuade the Jews to surrender, even at personal risk of bodily injury, after he convinced Titus to execute only their leaders and spare the temple. But his wife's and parents' eventual death in the ensuing maelstron doesn't seem to have given him much pause.

In the end, he got the last laugh, living to tell the tale and becoming immortal and lionized by Christians, because of a couple of passing references or an opportunity for a well-meaing monk to interlineate a couple of passing references to JC in his narratives, which were modeled on Herodotus and Theucydides. Meanwhile, we are left with only fragments of Tacitus, etc. Who could ask for more than for the immortality of one's written works and to finally and for the ages settle scores with your enemies and justify every ethically questionable turn (to say the least) of your complicated and interesting life? I love Josephus.

—Paul Auster

Last edited by SeattleUte; 05-30-2008 at 06:06 PM.
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #2
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Was/is he related to Bocephus?

Yeah, I bring nothing to this conversation and yet I felt compelled to reply. It's a sickness.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:57 PM   #3
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by landpoke View Post
Was/is he related to Bocephus?

Yeah, I bring nothing to this conversation and yet I felt compelled to reply. It's a sickness.
Why yes, and Cephalus was his middle name, [not really just playing along]j.
Old 05-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #4
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

This is why I like you, even though you're a heathen and all, becasue I rarely contribute either. That and I admire your impressive knowledge of all things Deep Space Nine.
Old 05-30-2008, 08:00 PM   #5
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekster View Post
This is why I like you, even though you're a heathen and all, becasue I rarely contribute either. That and I admire your impressive knowledge of all things Deep Space Nine.
Damnit, I don't have anything to contribute to this thread about Deep Space Nine. I liked when Homer punched Cletus, though. Heh heh, funny.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
landpoke

landpoke is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Damnit, I don't have anything to contribute to this thread about Deep Space Nine. I liked when Homer punched Cletus, though. Heh heh, funny.
The Next Generation? Voyager? Enterprise? C'mon, you've got to have something.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:10 AM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
The Next Generation? Voyager? Enterprise? C'mon, you've got to have something.
How 'bout Futurama?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote