cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Cycling

Old 05-16-2010, 08:19 PM   #1
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default No suspicions for Vino, nah, none at all

No racing after two years, and he's leading his first race?

The guy is a class act.

http://pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullst...catname=Giro10

Quote:
Vino: The Drama Queen
The prize for drama has to go to Astana today. The team put together a solid ride for the first 32 km, but heading into the ultimo chilometro, Astana lost their sixth guy, and then moments later, their fifth: Slovenian Gorazd Stangelj. Vinokourov, clad in his Maglia Rosa skinsuit, was on the front driving the pace, and was none too pleased to have to sit up in the final kilometer to wait for Stangelj. He waved his arm at him, shook his head...and didn't wait. The team was in tatters as Vino kept riding for a moment, another rider kinda sorta waited, and the others had no idea what to do - all along, Stangelj was still not attached to any semblance of a draft. He had nothing left, he completely cracked with 1000m to go. Vinokourov eventually let up a bit, shook his head, threw up an arm at Stangelj, and crossed the line. It was a show of exactly what not to do in a team time trial, and a horrendous display of team leadership by Vinokourov. Some of it can absolutely be explained by the heat of the moment, but it was a poor showing by Vino nonetheless.

One of the sport's greatest time trialists of all time, Chris Boardman, just wrote this gem on Twitter: "Vino knows how to motivate his guys in TTT: ride 50m in front of utterly spent teammate turning around periodically to shake head, revolutionary."
Btw, I celebrated today's Giro discussion by crashing during such discussion, throwing my hip, fracturing my elbow and wrenching my back. Geeze, I haven't fallen since 2006. Let's make it forty years for the next fall, as my body hates falling.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, we've both fractured elbows from falls now.

Riding on Sunday, eh?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #3
Archaea

Riding and talking about Vino caused it. Riding before church but never made it to church as a result.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like your injury was not as severe as mine.

I had two surgeries. One to place pin, one to remove pin, and extended rehab.

Back in my day, not everyone would regain full ROM after this kind of injury. I understand they don't immobilize anymore like they did for me, because of the ROM issues.

The worst part is that I ended up walking home. Well most of the way. About a block away from my parent's home, I stopped at a church member's home and asked them to call my parents.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
sounds like your injury was not as severe as mine.

I had two surgeries. One to place pin, one to remove pin, and extended rehab.

Back in my day, not everyone would regain full ROM after this kind of injury. I understand they don't immobilize anymore like they did for me, because of the ROM issues.

The worst part is that I ended up walking home. Well most of the way. About a block away from my parent's home, I stopped at a church member's home and asked them to call my parents.
My injuries are likely less than yours, as I by no means am intending to glamorize my Sunday's work. It shortened my workout and made me cranky and sore.