cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Religion
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
You say that your dislike is not religion-based, and then you say you dislike him because he challenges your beliefs? I'm confused. Which is it?
My dislike for him is not based simply on his beliefs, per se, it is because he has used Mormonism in a bigoted way during this campaign.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 02:58 AM   #12
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by non sequitur View Post
I recognize the nuance, I simply don't believe people when they say it has nothing to do with religion. Huckabee is a dork, without a question. But he's a harmless dork. The amount of vitriol slung at the guy cannot be explained by his politic positions. Hell, people around here are cutting Hillary more slack than Huckabee. How do you explain that?
Did you read myboynoah's post? Do you recall Bush's religion (also an evangelical) being a problem for CBers? Have you no comprehension at all for why folks might dislike Huckabee, legitimately? And I'm not sure it has "nothing to do" with religion ... in fact, it's because Huckabee appears to be using religion as a weapon. That's a far cry from "supposed followers of Christ ... invested in tearing down the faith of other would be disciples."

And I don't know that I agree that folks are cutting Hillary more slack--in fact I distinctly recall a thread no more than a few weeks ago asking why people hate Hillary so much.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:11 AM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Huckabee advocated just a week or two ago, his support for flying the confederate flag.

He's an idiot, and a dangerous one at that.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Isn't is odd that these supposed followers of Christ would be so invested in tearing down the faith of other would be disciples?

Just because the ideas of another, who loves and worships Christ, are not in conformance with my perception and modes of expression, why would I spend an iota of energy finding fault?
These kinds of statements reflect a lack of genuine effort to understand the core evangelical Christian worldview which drives ministries like IRR.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:28 PM   #15
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
These kinds of statements reflect a lack of genuine effort to understand the core evangelical Christian worldview which drives ministries like IRR.
These don't add anything.

Catholicism adds something.

Seventh Day Adventists add through the building of great hospitals.

Evangelicals add hate. Parts of Islam adds hate. Do we need more hate? You can describe your group's attacks at tearing down another's religion as "loving" but I could list a bunch of psychologists and sociologists who would professionally perceive it as otherwise. And I trust them as opposed to the hatemongers.

These "ministries" don't minister but rather foster contention and hate. Down with hate.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:43 PM   #16
aaronshaf

aaronshaf is on a distinguished road

Branding the harshest critics of one's own religious group as hateful to ironically demonize them reminds me a lot of the way Scientology responds to their critics.

If you can't seriously interact with their worldview, just insulate yourself by lumping them in with hate groups. Real mature.
aaronshaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:44 PM   #17
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Shaf, would you vote for a Mormon for president? Like if it was Romney vs. Hillary?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #18
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronshaf View Post
Branding the harshest critics of one's own religious group as hateful to ironically demonize them reminds me a lot of the way Scientology responds to their critics.

If you can't seriously interact with their worldview, just insulate yourself by lumping them in with hate groups. Real mature.
I can interact with academics, scholars and intellectuals, plus agnostics, Islamicists, and other parts of the world. I choose not to interact with minor pissants such as yourself, because I'd prefer you crawled back inside your trailer and spanked wife again.