cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2008, 11:22 PM   #1
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road
Default Attacking vs befriending an opponent

I'm new at following this stuff, so help me out there.

Looking at the republican side of it...

It seems the way to get votes in the short term is to attack someone, especially your nearest competitor. i.e. Thompson is courting the same voters as Huckabee, so he attacks Huckabee, like in South Carolina.

Let's say you're looking at a guy like Huck and you're Romney. Huck has no money and he appears to be going down in flames. If he loses South Carolina and doesn't come in top three in Florida, does he quit right there? Or maybe he quits after Super Tuesday?

If you think Huck is a short timer, wouldn't it work to befriend him and treat him respectfully, acknowledging you have the same to offer to social conservatives, even applaud him for that aspect? Then when he bows out, you can take his voters. Maybe he endorses you?

If you rip him, you might still a small % of his voters, but his strong base is going to remember you and treat you like an enemy, right? For example, I'm not easily swayed by these things, but as a Romney guy I'm getting pissed at McCain for his cheapshots at Romney and might have a hard time moving over to his camp if Romney quits, just because of that.

Or will all five of the major candidates stay to the end with the losing teams never folded into another candidate?
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 AM   #2
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm certainly no expert, but given how things have gone, I wonder if any of the top three plus Rudy has any incentive to drop out until after Super Tuesday. I don't see Huckabee getting the nomination but he does have a base that turns out in every state, although I heard today some pundits saying that after S. Carolina that base gets smaller. McCain may fade as well given that the future primaries will not allow independents or Dems, so he will not have that big body of his traditional support. That leaves Romney and Rudy. Who will the Repub base get behind? As I've noted before, Romney appears to be the candidate of the Bush establishment, giving him an up on Rudy, as well as having a head start as Rudy sat them out. I think Romney actually has a chance.

As for Huckabee and Romney, and cannot imagine either ever endorsing the other.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:32 AM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Lack of money has not been a hindrance to any of the broke candidates, so I don't expect you will see them drop out. The exception being Thompson. He may drop out if he finishes 4th or worse in S. Carolina.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:37 AM   #4
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Lack of money has not been a hindrance to any of the broke candidates, so I don't expect you will see them drop out. The exception being Thompson. He may drop out if he finishes 4th or worse in S. Carolina.
Given the current situation, I think you are right.

On another note you might enjoy, I smile everytime Romney talks about Washington being broke and the need to go fix it. I imagine all those Bushies pulling for him going, "You go Mitt . . . . . hey."

Then he goes out of his way to praise George Herbert Walker Bush.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:25 AM   #5
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
As for Huckabee and Romney, and cannot imagine either ever endorsing the other.
If either one lands the Repub nomination, they'd endorse the other. There is no way either would cross party lines just to distance himself from the other, because bottom line, they're from the same party. The factions may be vastly different, but they are both GOP.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #6
myboynoah

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
If either one lands the Repub nomination, they'd endorse the other. There is no way either would cross party lines just to distance himself from the other, because bottom line, they're from the same party. The factions may be vastly different, but they are both GOP.
Your right about that. I was thinking during this primary process. Even then, that endorsement will be something Jesus would spew out of his mouth.

Old 01-17-2008, 07:17 PM   #7
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by myboynoah View Post
Your right about that. I was thinking during this primary process. Even then, that endorsement will be something Jesus would spew out of his mouth.
Ok, now I see what you're saying.

My problem is that when it comes to politics, I'm always thinking about the first Tuesday in November every 4 years. It's all about the White House, baby.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote