cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-26-2007, 05:49 AM   #1
FarrahWaters

FarrahWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yet another helpful forward

Got this e-mail today, make sure you don't let your kid see this movie, they will be tricked into buying the books and subsequently rejecting God and embracing hedonism. I seem to remember someone mentioning the trilogy on the board.

Just wanted to pass on this info...

There will be a new Children's movie coming out December 7th called "The Golden Compass." It is written by Phillip Pullman, a proud athiest who belongs to secular humanist societies. He hates C.S. Lewis's Chronical's of Narnia and has written a trilogy to show the other side. The movie has been dumbed down to fool kids and thie parents in the hope that they will buy his trilogy where in the end the children kill God and everyone can do as they please. Nicole Kidman stars in the movie so it will most likely be advertised a lot.

More about this movie & what is being said about it can be found at: http://snopes. com/politics/ religion/ compass.asp
FarrahWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:51 AM   #2
JohnnyLingo

JohnnyLingo has a little shameless behaviour in the past

We've discussed this here... it's an interesting trilogy. I read them earlier this year and thought there was a pretty strong Anti-God message, but others disagree.
JohnnyLingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

I usually throw away e-mails like this, and I have never stayed away from a children's movie because a religious group claims of it being evil or anti-religious.

Having said that, if a guy's main goal in life is to fight against religion, and he writes children's books to further tthis goal, I may make an exception in this case. It probably won't be on the list for a family night move.

I say "probably" because I don't know much more about this series other than what is in the Snopes article, so I don't have a good feel for it yet.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
marsupial

marsupial is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarrahWaters View Post
Got this e-mail today, make sure you don't let your kid see this movie, they will be tricked into buying the books and subsequently rejecting God and embracing hedonism. I seem to remember someone mentioning the trilogy on the board.

Just wanted to pass on this info...

There will be a new Children's movie coming out December 7th called "The Golden Compass." It is written by Phillip Pullman, a proud athiest who belongs to secular humanist societies. He hates C.S. Lewis's Chronical's of Narnia and has written a trilogy to show the other side. The movie has been dumbed down to fool kids and thie parents in the hope that they will buy his trilogy where in the end the children kill God and everyone can do as they please. Nicole Kidman stars in the movie so it will most likely be advertised a lot.

More about this movie & what is being said about it can be found at: http://snopes. com/politics/ religion/ compass.asp
Actually, I got the same email and it made me want to check out the books and see what they're all about.
marsupial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 02:45 PM   #5
creekster

creekster is an unknown quantity at this point

I am the one that argued with Lingo in the other thread. I reviewed the thread, and I was a bit harsh, I suppose, but I do think the books are very good. I am doubtful that the movie will be nearly as good. The books are anti-religion, in large degree. The do depict a God character in a negative light, but the God they depcit is not liek the God in which I believe and neither I nor my 9 year old had a difficult time spearating the two. As children's literature the books are superb. I had no problem having my 9 year old read these books, but I would not criticise anyone who decided not to allow them.