cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Home Improvement and Real Estate

Old 07-27-2007, 02:47 PM   #1
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Default building a house

anyone done so?
trying to figure out what questions to ask/consider.
we'll mostly likely just use a plan off eplans.com or some such. There are thousands of them, and a lot that we like. Maybe make a few tweaks to it. I've heard good things about them and similar sites. Anyone have not good experience?

The lot is slopped, so we could do a walk out basement. Anyone know the approximate difference between doing a two story on slab vs. a 1 story with a walk-out basement? Also, we could leave the basement unfinished and I can finish it myself.

eplans.com has a $30 program you can buy that will allow you to estimate costs based on the zipcode, plan and options. Are these anywhere in the ballpark?
What are the major variables in the cost to build a house?
0- square feet.
1- footprint shape (I assume rectangle is cheapest)
2- Roof type ??
3- Others?
4- Do things like high foyers, 2 story rooms, etc +/- the cost?

Since I enjoy doing such things, I want to do all the painting, trim, crown moldings, etc etc myself. No idea how much this would save, or if it's worth it.

Also, anyone know what it might cost to clear a heavily wooded 5 acre lot for a house? Not the whole lot, but enough for a house and a 50 yard driveway? Labor is region defendant, but relatively, is it expensive?

I know my life will be hell for 9 months, so don't try and talk me out of it.....
Old 07-27-2007, 03:08 PM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I suggest you use an architect who works closely with your contractor, so you don't end up with cheap looking mini-mcMansion.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2007, 04:15 PM   #3
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Oh my hell Brian...that is the funninest Avatar I've seen yet.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:55 PM   #4
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

All of it will play a role financially...not just in the square foot, but how much concrete you will need, the heighth of your ceilings will add to the costs (more structure support, etc.), how many windows you cut out and put in, higher pitched roofs will as well.

One thing to keep in mind as well...costs may be higher or lower depending on the design, but you should also think about ongoing costs. Higher ceilings will increase heating and air conditioning bills but the pros still may outweigh the cons to doing that.

An unfinished basement will help with initial costs but it will obviously increase the headaches down the road when you decide to finish it. Good luck. FM probably has some good ideas on building a house as well...boardmail Randal and ask him to talk to FM for you.
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 02:57 PM   #5
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
I know my life will be hell for 9 months, so don't try and talk me out of it.....
Well then, by all means, please put it on HGTV so we can all enjoy watching your hell.

I could easily fill nine months of agony-filled shows dealing with my @#&%*# swimming pool. Just keeping the PH balanced is at least four shows. For comedy, watch me try to figure which valves go where. And there is always interesting wildlife gathered in the skimmers (usually dead and bloated by the time I get to it).

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote