cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > House Keeping > What should this site be?

Old 03-07-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
TexTechCoug

TexTechCoug is on a distinguished road
Default What happened to Cougarguard?

I feel like the protagonist from the novel "I Am Legend." I keeping wandering around looking at what used to be. Where is everyone? Why did they disappear?
TexTechCoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:54 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

There are a lot of ways I could reply to this.

In McCarthy's "The Road", he never explains fully, why the world is the way it is. It just is, and there is nothing to be done about it, and it can never be as it was. Was it destroyed by men? By nature? By God himself?

I think we will find, that in our lives, much will change. And that which was, will never be recovered. Sometimes for the good. But also sometimes to our great despair.

Most of us are strong swimmers. We tread water with such great ease, that we forget we are in the water. Until we weaken, some of us slowly, some of us suddenly, and the water slips over our heads and silences us.

MikeWaters, it could be argued, in some kind of metaphorical way, is dead. If it is true, that the dead roam the earth, the very places that they lived, how appropriate is it then for him to walk in the hallways of his prior glory, stamping and rattling. It's not me who died, he might say. Everyone else did.

I imagine, in some way, stumbling onto this site, and confusedly asking what happened, might feel like reading a 1980's vintage Choose-Your-Own-Adventure book. If yes, turn to page 67. If no, page 74. Trying to rehash this is like reading one of those books, several times over, choosing the OTHER way. But there really is no alternative path. Just one. And trust me, I am as bewildered as anyone--mountains to my left, mountains to my right, and a deep canyon before my path. The water runs dark and bitter, and the sky is merely a thin cut above the canyon, spattered with stars. The stars, each of them, feels like a witness of something, but the message so distant, nothing more than "here am I" said flatly and quietly. Men will carve the canyon with their steps, one after the other, unknown to each other. They could talk, but what would they say? "Here am I."

And so it is. Here am I. That is all I can tell you.

Last edited by MikeWaters; 03-07-2009 at 05:39 AM.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 04:55 PM   #3
Levin

Levin is on a distinguished road

Mike, that was beautiful.
"Now I say that I know the meaning of my life: 'To live for God, for my soul.' And this meaning, in spite of its clearness, is mysterious and marvelous. Such is the meaning of all existence." Levin, Anna Karenina, Part 8, Chapter 12
Levin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:38 PM   #4
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Waters, some of your former apostles still work to keep alive the memory of you, even are now spinning a shroud of myth around you.

http://www.cougaruteforum.com/showth...?t=3246&page=3

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #5
Tex

Tex is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexTechCoug View Post
I feel like the protagonist from the novel "I Am Legend." I keeping wandering around looking at what used to be. Where is everyone? Why did they disappear?
The clique decided to move on. I don't know all the details, but apparently there was a break-up that went down something like this.

- Cali Coug

"Oh dear, granny, what a long tail our puss has got."

- Brigham Young
Tex is offline   Reply With Quote