cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Art/Movies/Media/Music/Books

Old 03-26-2015, 07:02 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My favorite comic strips

My top 3 are Calvin and Hobbes, Bloom County, and The Far Side. This was in the 80s when I would read the comics in the newspaper everyday.

Now the comics are barely worth looking at.

1) Calvin and Hobbes. I bought the collected hardback set on sale. My kids have torn that up, reading cover to cover. In particular these books really brought my oldest son out of his shell. They love it as much as I loved it.

2) Bloom County. I really loved the humor. The irreverence. The wit. The play on current events and politics. A slew of characters. As beloved as this strip was/is, I think it's still underrated. Much more adult than C&H. I started showing one of the books to my kids, and I realized it wasn't quite age appropriate.

3) The Far Side broke the mold. I bought the collected set for my father.

I've bought books from two other strips for my kids:
1) Peanuts. Never personally like it, but my kids seem to like it fine.
2) Cul de Sac. More recent strip. Based on reviews. In the tradition of great strips. Glanced at it, looks promising, but I haven't read it myself.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote