cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 12-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What internet Navy fans are saying about Coach Ken

http://www.scout.com/college/navy/fo...ts-interesting
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:05 PM   #2
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

I don't think he's going to get the job.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 08:21 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

But he's handsome and has a nice personality, and is very comfortable representing the LDS faith.

Plus he has had good success at Navy.

I guess you are thinking that there are concerns he is triple-option or nothing?
Old 12-10-2015, 09:55 PM   #4
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
But he's handsome and has a nice personality, and is very comfortable representing the LDS faith.

Plus he has had good success at Navy.

I guess you are thinking that there are concerns he is triple-option or nothing?
1. He told Vai Sikahema he will bring the option to BYU if hired. At least that is what Vai tweeted this week. I guess he could be lying or heard wrong.

2. The option would be a horrible offense for BYU with the players we now have. The line would suck at it and the risk of losing a talent like Mangum over it is not worth it. And if he stays he'll get hurt trying to run it. We don't need to mention Hill next year if he comes back because he'll probably get hurt again regardless. Also, we are already restricted enough in the type of players we can recruit. Taking that to another level wouldn't be smart.

3. He's an offensive coach and played option as a QB. It might be different if he was a defensive guy and his current OC was running option. That would be more like Lavell. But that's not the case here.

4. He has never run any other kind of offense

5. He was reportedly fired as an assistant at UNLV for not being flexible enough to run a different offense.

6. There is something about option football that seems to hook them so much to it that it's permanently in their blood and they can't leave it. Crowton got a taste of it in 2001 and could never put the crack pipe down and even insisted on running option plays even when he didn't have a single QB who could do it effectively. The image of Matt Berry trying to run an option play belongs in a horror movie. Has anyone ever heard of an option coach who later ran something different? I haven't. You just don't see it.

7. Tom Holmoe's job in the interview is to ask him what kind of offense he would like to run, listen to the answer and then make the decision based on what he knows about BYU. He's not stupid. If Ken N. says he would keep the option like Vai said he told him, then he's not going to be offered. It would be unprofessional and bad policy to hire a coach and tell him he can't run the offense he wants. That sounds Jerry Jones-like -- hire the coach and tie his hands. That has never worked in Dallas. It's also unprofessional. Holmoe is too smart to try that here.

All that said, I guess it's possible he could get hired, ditch the option, hire an OC who can run a passing offense that fits what we have, and step back enough to just run the team. If that happens it could work. But he would be breaking a mold, IMO, that would be hard for an option coach to break.

Last edited by BlueK; 12-10-2015 at 10:20 PM.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:54 PM   #5
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ken N. with no option, as a very good recruiter (fingers crossed) with good OC. Maybe that could work.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:07 AM   #6
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Ken N. with no option, as a very good recruiter (fingers crossed) with good OC. Maybe that could work.
Yes, I agree that could work. I do think he's a good coach. Under the right conditions it might be fine.
Old 12-11-2015, 12:29 AM   #7
BlueK

One of the funnier rumors on cougarboard is that coach Ken was offered the job over the weekend and he accepted. But then he checked cougarboard on Sunday night and unaccepted the offer first thing Monday morning.
Old 12-11-2015, 04:01 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
One of the funnier rumors on cougarboard is that coach Ken was offered the job over the weekend and he accepted. But then he checked cougarboard on Sunday night and unaccepted the offer first thing Monday morning.
LOL, those morons.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:26 PM   #9
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Btw, the Lord will not allow Tom Holmoe to lead us astray. He would be removed from his place before that would be allowed to happen.
Old 12-11-2015, 03:33 PM   #10
BlueK

I like Tom Holmoe. Maybe he just seems good because the previous regime of AD by committee of Bateman/Skousen/Val Hale was so freaking incompetent. But I think he actually does a good job.