cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football

Old 10-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #11
ChinoCoug

ChinoCoug is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not giving up. I'm gonna pony up more money to BYU athletics, get to know more gay people (currently I don't know any open gays that well) so they know I'm not a hateful bigot.
Old 10-18-2016, 05:43 PM   #12
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
welp, this means the WCC into the future.

Sports wilderness for BYU, irrelevancy, no conference championships, no big bowls, no chance to be in the football playoffs.

I think we are taking our death sentence pretty well. I don't think it's sunk in for most people.
You will be able to tell your grandchildren of the time when BYU aspired to be relevant in the sports world but committed hari kari because of LGBTQ animosity. They will look at you and wonder what the f...
Old 10-18-2016, 05:51 PM   #13
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe Chelsea Clinton will have banned football by executive order by then.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:18 AM   #14
Archaea

Quote:
Maybe Chelsea Clinton will have banned football by executive order by then.
I am sad that you and I have witnessed the zenith of BYU athletics. The leadership is too myopic to see the error of their ways.
Old 10-19-2016, 01:24 AM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Big 12 Pravda. Is Putin running the Big 12?

http://www.espn.com/college-football...earlier-divide

I mean, maybe Boren is actually protecting BYU. By not discussing BYU.

But Boren coming out and saying that no individual schools were discussed has led to people calling him and the entire process completely moronic.
Old 10-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #16
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I think OU has decided it will part ways with the Big 12 eventually, having decided that Texas is not a team player and won't ever decide to be one.
Old 10-19-2016, 04:10 PM   #17
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Big 12 Pravda. Is Putin running the Big 12?

http://www.espn.com/college-football...earlier-divide

I mean, maybe Boren is actually protecting BYU. By not discussing BYU.

But Boren coming out and saying that no individual schools were discussed has led to people calling him and the entire process completely moronic.
BYU fans seem only too happy to buy Boren's PR and ignore the real reason. I've never understood why it feels better for some people, following misfortune, to believe they were screwed rather than say, "This was my fault."

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:14 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

I'm betting that adding teams required an extension of grant of rights, and that OU wanted Texas to compromise on the LHN. And Texas said "F you" and OU has decided there is no future to this conference and that they don't want to lock themselves into more years in the conference. So the decision was, "let's get as much money as we can the next few years before this thing is blowed up."

The Big 12 won't exist. And schools like Baylor, ISU, KU, and KSU will get SCREWED. TCU as well.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #19
Archaea

Quote:
I'm betting that adding teams required an extension of grant of rights, and that OU wanted Texas to compromise on the LHN. And Texas said "F you" and OU has decided there is no future to this conference and that they don't want to lock themselves into more years in the conference. So the decision was, "let's get as much money as we can the next few years before this thing is blowed up."

The Big 12 won't exist. And schools like Baylor, ISU, KU, and KSU will get SCREWED. TCU as well.
The odd thing is the other eight had the votes to expand even without OU and UT. If they get screwed, it will serve them right.

Of course, BYU's leadership screwed up by not changing the Honor Code and by failing to recognize the cultural battle on gays is past, but the Big XII appears to be a highly dysfunctional athletic conference.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #20
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:

Why would it require that? The two things don't seem related.

The Big 12 does seem to have a problem in that you have two outsized programs and the eight others don't even have attractive venues. Also, Texas is a good cultural fit for the Big 10, as is Oklahoma for the SEC.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote