cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2008, 05:43 PM   #11
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
Uh...wouldn't a shortened game hurt a rushing team more?

I don't know if it matters. I've never understood why anyone cares about time of possession. The most overrated stat in my opinion. Sure the winnint team usually takes this, but they also usually end up running more plays. Also, does the fatigue of the defense really depend on how much clock time runs off with each play? I'd guess the number of plays or first downs is a much more important stat in this regard. I'd guess that in 2001, we got killed on time of possession through that awful 10-0 run.
your defense sucks.
you will need more plays to score enough. you will likely get less chances to make up for your D if AFA has the ball all game.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:40 PM   #12
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
your defense sucks.
you will need more plays to score enough. you will likely get less chances to make up for your D if AFA has the ball all game.
This only works if AFA is able to build a lead. It's unlikely AFA will be able to prevent BYU from scoring. A team that rushes like AFA is already at a disadvantage if they have to score more than 24 just to keep up offensively.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:25 PM   #13
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
This only works if AFA is able to build a lead. It's unlikely AFA will be able to prevent BYU from scoring. A team that rushes like AFA is already at a disadvantage if they have to score more than 24 just to keep up offensively.
Agreed. I'm just saying that if you have to punt, you likely wont get the ball back for quite a while. A TD every drive or it might be hard.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #14
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

AFA scares me for 2 reasons.

1. Out middle backers have not played very well this year and to stop the option you really need great linebacker play.

2. We have not played with emotion since UCLA. I know someone pointed that out but is pretty disappointing to see this team not play with any heart. There are a couple of players that show it but they are few and far between.

Last edited by Hot Lunch; 11-10-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:04 PM   #15
Hot Lunch

Hot Lunch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post

I wasn't able to focus upon Hooks? How well did he play Junkie.
Sorry I am not Junkie but I will respond to this. Hooks just isn't there yet. He didn't play horrible but there were times where he was out of position and just couldn't get off blocks when the play was going his way. Being out 6 months will do that to you. He just isn't there yet this year.
Hot Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Against AF I think your OLBs are more critical than your MLBs. Because they dont give it to the dive man all that often. Russ T and Bauman should be ok in the middle. Our OLBs are the strength of the linebacking core this year. Nixon will be fine against the option as will Clawson, although Clawson is a bit of a concern since he has not played AF yet.

One thing I might try is playing a field OLB/DE and a boundary OLB/DE. Keep Jorgensen and Nixon on the wide side of the field because that is the side AF runs to 80% of the time and they both have the speed and discipline to disrupt the play. Also that gives Clawson if he makes a mistake a shorter distance to make up for it.

The other thing is our corners need to not try and play hero and stay home, AF completed 6 of 8 passes for 170 yards and 2 tds vs CSU. Stay home and let the other guys make plays.
Old 11-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #17
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Agreed. I'm just saying that if you have to punt, you likely wont get the ball back for quite a while. A TD every drive or it might be hard.
You're assuming AFA scores every possession. I doubt they do. I find it unlikely BYU scores under 30 on AFA. I'd be highly surprised if AFA scores over 24.

Scores against D1 opponents:
Wyo: 23-3
Hou: 31-28
Utah: 23-30
Navy: 27-33
SDSU: 35-10
UNLV: 29-28
UNM: 23-10
Army: 16-7
CSU: 38-17

CSU ranks 106th in rushing D at 5.2 YPC.
UNLV ranks 103rd at 5.2
SDSU ranks 110th at 5.3
Houston ranks 77th at 4.3

Navy is the only team AFA managed to put up 24+ on that has a decent rush defense (at 3.5YPC). BYU's rush D, despite being so maligned, is only allowing 3.6YPC this year (Interestingly, there's quite a disparity between YPC BYU gives up & the rushes/game they typically see. I think teams are definitely trying to play keepaway with the BYU O.).

AFA is only averaging 4.43 YPC on O this year. That's 49th nationally.

I don't expect AFA to score that much in this game. I expect them to be in the 17-27 point range.

"It doesn't mean that if we lose a game or when we lose a game people won't then jump on and say the quest is over. Because they will. But they've missed the point." -Bronco Mendenhall on "The Quest"
Old 11-10-2008, 09:31 PM   #18
Spaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougjunkie View Post
Against AF I think your OLBs are more critical than your MLBs. Because they dont give it to the dive man all that often. Russ T and Bauman should be ok in the middle. Our OLBs are the strength of the linebacking core this year. Nixon will be fine against the option as will Clawson, although Clawson is a bit of a concern since he has not played AF yet.

One thing I might try is playing a field OLB/DE and a boundary OLB/DE. Keep Jorgensen and Nixon on the wide side of the field because that is the side AF runs to 80% of the time and they both have the speed and discipline to disrupt the play. Also that gives Clawson if he makes a mistake a shorter distance to make up for it.

The other thing is our corners need to not try and play hero and stay home, AF completed 6 of 8 passes for 170 yards and 2 tds vs CSU. Stay home and let the other guys make plays.
I agree with this. I also don't think the ILB's have been as bad against the run as is being purported. For sure, they haven't helped the passing game much, but against the run, BYU's played decently enough (although not spectacularly - I find more & more I have to qualify my statements when referring to the successes of the D).