cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 04-12-2008, 09:02 PM   #21
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Cali, that sounds great. Do you use just plain French's mustard?
Yes. It crusts over, and mustard, when cooked long enough, loses all flavor. The ribs won't taste mustardy at all, but the glaze it puts on them will trap in juices and give them a great texture, perfect for adding bbq sauce later.

I am always looking for great rubs, by the way, and I am experimenting with the value of marinading ribs v using rubs v using both marinade and rubs. Any tips on that would be appreciated!
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 06:49 PM   #22
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

I've been trying to talk my wife into a "real" barbecue grill for a long time but our hesitation in getting one is that I rarely have 12 hours to stay around the house and tend charcoal. Are you guys really cooking these overnight? Are you getting up in the middle of the night to check on them? How on earth do you keep a good constant temperature?
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM   #23
Cali Coug

Cali Coug has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I've been trying to talk my wife into a "real" barbecue grill for a long time but our hesitation in getting one is that I rarely have 12 hours to stay around the house and tend charcoal. Are you guys really cooking these overnight? Are you getting up in the middle of the night to check on them? How on earth do you keep a good constant temperature?
I don't overnight. I have wanted to try it, though. Instead, I start cooking around 9 am with preparations then put the meat on the grill around 1 pm and cook until about 6 or 7.
Cali Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 09:38 PM   #24
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
You can get an electric smoker. It's really easy to smoke with, but it's frowned upon by hardcore bbq folks. It maintains a consistent 220 degrees and all you have to do is add wood. It's not as versatile as other smokers, but very simple to use.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 11:23 PM   #25
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I love to smoke. Especially ribs. I am still toying with my process (which I think is more important than the rub used for ribs), but here is what I do:

0.5. Soak wood chips for 48 hours- I like mesquite on ribs
1. Strib membranes off of ribs.
2. Rub ribs in yellow mustard (thin coat)
3. Apply rub mix
4. Wrap ribs in saran wrap tightly, then wrap in tin foil. Put ribs on grill (I have a side firebox where I put all my charcoal). The thermometer reading in the main portion of the grill where I cook (with no charcoal in that part of the grill) should be about 180-200. If that low, the saran wrap won't melt. Let the ribs cook like this for about 2-3 hours.
5. Take ribs off grill, remove saran wrap and tin foil. Place ribs back on grill for smoking. Add pre-soaked wood chips to side firebox (lots of them) and replace them when they burn out. Ensure smoke burns white rather than black (which indicates an acrid smell).
6. Gently flip ribs as needed, smoke on lower heat for around 2-3 hours.
7. Start basting ribs with your favorite bbq sauce- I love Sweet Baby Rays. Wait for outer coat to start to harden onto ribs, then apply another coat. Do about 3-4 coats.
8. Enjoy.

The saran wrap makes the ribs literally fall off the bone, so it is a bit tricky to cook them on the grill after that. You can play with the time they cook in saran wrap a bit to ensure they aren't fully cooked in saran wrap. It is a balancing act, but they are fantastic when done.
Wow, that sounds like a ton of work.

I use a much simpler approach. I apply lots of rub and then throw the ribs in the smoker for one hour. I then put them in a covered roaster in the over for 5-6 hours on 250 degrees. They come out moist and tender (fall off the bone) and they taste fabulous.

I have found that one hour in the smoker is plenty. You can tell by the color of the meat that the smoke fully penetrates the meat. No matter what meat you use, maximum penetration is about 1/2 inch any smoking after the first hour or so does not add any smoke flavor, it simply cooks the meat (and potentially dries it out if one is not careful).

I use a Paul Kirk (world-champ bbq pro from KC) rub that I mix up myself and keep in the freezer.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:36 PM   #26
FMCoug

FMCoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Wow, that sounds like a ton of work.

I use a much simpler approach. I apply lots of rub and then throw the ribs in the smoker for one hour. I then put them in a covered roaster in the over for 5-6 hours on 250 degrees. They come out moist and tender (fall off the bone) and they taste fabulous.

I have found that one hour in the smoker is plenty. You can tell by the color of the meat that the smoke fully penetrates the meat. No matter what meat you use, maximum penetration is about 1/2 inch any smoking after the first hour or so does not add any smoke flavor, it simply cooks the meat (and potentially dries it out if one is not careful).

I use a Paul Kirk (world-champ bbq pro from KC) rub that I mix up myself and keep in the freezer.
That's an interesting idea. Lots of times on Sunday we do ribs in the crockpot since they are so easy ... the meat literally falls off the bone. But you don't get the smoky flavor. I may have to try your method one of these days. Hour in the smoker and then put them in the crockpot.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:57 PM   #27
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMCoug View Post
That's an interesting idea. Lots of times on Sunday we do ribs in the crockpot since they are so easy ... the meat literally falls off the bone. But you don't get the smoky flavor. I may have to try your method one of these days. Hour in the smoker and then put them in the crockpot.
Yes, you should try it. Furthermore, I usually put them in the smoker for an hour on Saturday night and then put them in the fridge in an airtight container. Then I throw them in the oven Sunday morning and let them cook while we are at church. The house smells lovely when you come home.

I used to use a crock pot to slow-cook the smoked ribs, but I prefer to use a covered roasting pan in the oven. With the crock pot, the bottom half of the ribs get soaked in water. With a big roaster, I can keep the ribs out of any water that comes out. And with the slow cooking, they are plenty moist. The low setting on a crock pot is 200 degrees and the high setting is 300 degrees, so you get slow-cooking either way.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:07 AM   #28
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Coug View Post
I love to smoke. Especially ribs. I am still toying with my process (which I think is more important than the rub used for ribs), but here is what I do:

0.5. Soak wood chips for 48 hours- I like mesquite on ribs
1. Strib membranes off of ribs.
2. Rub ribs in yellow mustard (thin coat)
3. Apply rub mix
4. Wrap ribs in saran wrap tightly, then wrap in tin foil. Put ribs on grill (I have a side firebox where I put all my charcoal). The thermometer reading in the main portion of the grill where I cook (with no charcoal in that part of the grill) should be about 180-200. If that low, the saran wrap won't melt. Let the ribs cook like this for about 2-3 hours.
5. Take ribs off grill, remove saran wrap and tin foil. Place ribs back on grill for smoking. Add pre-soaked wood chips to side firebox (lots of them) and replace them when they burn out. Ensure smoke burns white rather than black (which indicates an acrid smell).
6. Gently flip ribs as needed, smoke on lower heat for around 2-3 hours.
7. Start basting ribs with your favorite bbq sauce- I love Sweet Baby Rays. Wait for outer coat to start to harden onto ribs, then apply another coat. Do about 3-4 coats.
8. Enjoy.

The saran wrap makes the ribs literally fall off the bone, so it is a bit tricky to cook them on the grill after that. You can play with the time they cook in saran wrap a bit to ensure they aren't fully cooked in saran wrap. It is a balancing act, but they are fantastic when done.
Cali, we don't agree about anything politically, but this sounds devastatingly delicious. I'm going to give it a try.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM   #29
Clark Addison

Clark Addison is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Cali, we don't agree about anything politically, but this sounds devastatingly delicious. I'm going to give it a try.
The Food category brings people together, where the Religion and Politics categories divide. We should all eat more and go to church less.
Clark Addison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:51 PM   #30
Keyzer Soze

Keyzer Soze is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Like the Napper, I too have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker and if you use the minion method, and spend an hour or so at the beginning of the smoke getting your vents locked in where they need to be, then yes, it will burn unattended all night long with less than 10 degrees variance in temperature. I have a remote thermometer that I use that has an alarm if the temp spikes above whatever temperature I preset it at, and it has only gone off once in the middle of the night, and in that case, a strong wind was blowing, which raised the temp in the smoker a bit. I got up, closed the vents down a little bit, the temp fell to where it needed to be, and that was that. The WSM is a great piece of engineering.
Keyzer Soze is offline   Reply With Quote