cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 AM   #11
Surfah
Master

Surfah is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Surfah Send a message via MSN to Surfah

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
It is a good show. What do you think about Guy doing commercials for TGIFridays? It kind of bothers me.
Ah, doesn't bother me much. As I never thought of him as a chef to begin with though he does have his own restaurant. He won a reality show to get on the Food Network after all. Tyler Florence sold out to Applebee's. Emeril had his own sitcom and Rachel Ray has her own talk show.

Charles Barkley: "20 pts and 10 rebounds will get you through also!"
Surfah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 03:49 AM   #12
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Ah, doesn't bother me much. As I never thought of him as a chef to begin with though he does have his own restaurant. He won a reality show to get on the Food Network after all. Tyler Florence sold out to Applebee's. Emeril had his own sitcom and Rachel Ray has her own talk show.
It doesn't bother me that Guy Fieri the chef is endorsing TGIFridays. It bothers me that Guy Fieri the host of Diners, Drive Ins and Dives is endorsing Fridays. DDD is premised on the idea that the best food in America is found in small, local restaurants. Well, these places are being shut down left and right because they can't compete with the big chains. Their food is more expensive, but better quality. Their chefs have to cook and not just reheat. So their margins are a lot tighter. They have to scrap for every cent they get. Then you have Guy out there using his fame, received in part to his image as the hero of the small restaurant, to help the big chain with crappy food. It really pisses me off. I've thought about it way too much.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #13
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
Guy Fieri profiled the Burger Bar in Roy, Utah on Diners, Drive-ins, and Dives. It looks like they grill up a very nice burger. Along with elk (only two grams of fat) and buffalo burgers, their onion rings looked very impressive.
Burger Bar, home of the Big Ben in Roy is a fantastic Burger. When I want a good drive-in type burger, I crave that. Good shakes and good fries. It is a huge burger and 100% worth the stop if you are anywhere near the area.

There used to be a second location down the street from Northridge High in Layton that closed about a year and a half ago and is now a Starbucks.

I'm not sure exactly if they still run it this way, but they used to run it where they would typically hire High School students from the area and pay them very well, with bonuses if their grades were a 3.0 or higher. Also, the Missionaries ate free at the Layton location. I knew of a few people (one who posts/posted here) who would dress up like missionaries with name badges to get free food.

I miss the Layton location, because honestly I can't think of a good reason other than Big Ben's Burger Bar to go to Roy.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 05:16 AM   #14
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
How do you pronounce Roy? Wah?
Like it is spelled. R-O-Y. Like Royal Blue. You don't say it Wahal Blue, do you?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:17 AM   #15
TheSizzle36

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfah33 View Post
Caught that last night as well. That's my favorite show on the Food Network by far. My wife and I talked about heading up there to check out the Burger Barn.
I would gladly meet you up there to share in the deliciousness that is Big Ben's Burger Bar. I'm not going to say it's worth the drive from SLC to Roy, but it's a pretty damn good burger.
Old 07-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #16
UteStar

UteStar is an unknown quantity at this point

I just think it is awesome that anyone admits to being a native of Roy. That is quite an honor and one that should be memoralized on a tombstone.

Goatnapper: "UteStar is the only one who is not scum."
UteStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #17
fusnik11

fusnik11 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey, invite me to Burger Bar.....

I went to 5 Guys this weekend with my parents and wife because my parents wanted to taste what all the fuss was about. First thing my dad says upon completion of our meal is, 'it ain't no Burger Bar.'
fusnik11 is offline   Reply With Quote