cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Food

Old 08-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road
Default Fine dining

I am a fan of fine dining. It is an expensive hobby, and consequently I am not able to do it very often, as I am not wealthy (and even if I were, I think I'd feel guilty doing it too often). Last weekend, I returned to an extraordinary restaurant in DC after a long drought in my fine dining career.

About halfway through my amuse-bouche, I remembered that feeling: how exquisite good, fresh ingredients, simply but well-prepared and served can be.

Many find fine dining too stuffy, too expensive, too esoteric, too draw-out, etc. It makes some people uncomfortable. Maybe it's only cool in a pretentious way? I don't know.

Anyway, as I was eating my way through something as simple as zucchini, I couldn't help but wonder how the way we eat might be affected if more people could eat this way--at least occasionally. I think we would eat more seasonally, more healthfully, more slowly, and with more appreciation. At least, these meals always have that affect on me--and make it worth the cash. They also always make me want to share the experience. So let me know when you want to join me next.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 12:45 AM   #2
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I hate to interrupt your missive to SU, but I get fed better at home than I would at most restaurants.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 AM   #3
RedHeadGal

RedHeadGal is on a distinguished road

And I can feed myself very well at home (but don't have a proficient chef otherwise). The attitude I would expect to get from this kind of post speaks to the problem: fine dining should be embraced instead of scoffed at instead of treated like the elitist activity that it is. I don't want it to be elitist. . . I want to share it.

I better stop now. I'm starting to sound like Marie Antoinette.
RedHeadGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
Portland Ute

Portland Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadGal View Post
And I can feed myself very well at home (but don't have a proficient chef otherwise). The attitude I would expect to get from this kind of post speaks to the problem: fine dining should be embraced instead of scoffed at instead of treated like the elitist activity that it is. I don't want it to be elitist. . . I want to share it.

I better stop now. I'm starting to sound like Marie Antoinette.
It's just as well. Most Mormons enjoy cake more than fine food anyway...
Portland Ute is offline   Reply With Quote