cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 03-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #51
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
I'll bet you can't even come close to 20 minutes. Especially if you don't regularly run and do speedwork. Also, don't forget the .1 at the end. It's almost half a lap and hurts the worst.
For you maybe. For me, it's the lap leading up to that last 200 odd yards. People laugh, especially my running mates, but I have the best 100 yard sprint at the end of an Ironman triathlon you've ever seen. It's the other 140.5 miles that suck to high heaven.

At the end of one 70.3 I dashed past a man running in to greet his family shedding disgrace upon him and his family. j/k.

For example when I run a mile, the third lap is what sucks, not the first, where I'm hyper, or the second when I've cooled down, but the third lap before the last one.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:09 AM   #52
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archaea View Post
For you maybe. For me, it's the lap leading up to that last 200 odd yards. People laugh, especially my running mates, but I have the best 100 yard sprint at the end of an Ironman triathlon you've ever seen. It's the other 140.5 miles that suck to high heaven.

At the end of one 70.3 I dashed past a man running in to greet his family shedding disgrace upon him and his family. j/k.

For example when I run a mile, the third lap is what sucks, not the first, where I'm hyper, or the second when I've cooled down, but the third lap before the last one.
When I am running for time it's always the end that hurts the worst. I try and get a nice kick in, but feel like my feet are in cement. This is usually accompanied by the urge to vomit which lasts for several minutes afterward.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 02:14 AM   #53
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBlue View Post
When I am running for time it's always the end that hurts the worst. I try and get a nice kick in, but feel like my feet are in cement. This is usually accompanied by the urge to vomit which lasts for several minutes afterward.
I've actually vomited a few times. I suppose my end sprint is there because I didn't work the other parts hard enough. The cement galoshes have been worn by me as well.

A friend of mine teased me about it. He told me, "if I'm running a certain pace, why am I going to sprint to the finish to prove I was the 322d best marathoner that day instead of hte 323d best marathoner?"
Old 03-29-2008, 06:12 PM   #54
ThatSportsFan

ThatSportsFan

Well I ran a 5K this morning. It was pretty hilly too. I ran it in 25:03. That's 5:00 minutes better from my 5K when we had the nike challenge. I'm pretty proud of myself.
ThatSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 12:24 AM   #55
Sea Chicken

Sea Chicken is on a distinguished road

I ran a 5k Saturday morning in 19:35 which is more than a minute and a half faster than my previous PR. I was hoofin' it, but still had to wonder if the course was a little short.

It was a Boise State fundraiser and they had the football team there signing autographs afterward so I had them sign my number. Ian Johnson asked me how I did and I told him my time. He said "these people are better athletes than we are." Of course he was just being nice, but it made an old guy like me feel good.
Sea Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 01:09 AM   #56
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Chicken View Post
I ran a 5k Saturday morning in 19:35 which is more than a minute and a half faster than my previous PR. I was hoofin' it, but still had to wonder if the course was a little short.

It was a Boise State fundraiser and they had the football team there signing autographs afterward so I had them sign my number. Ian Johnson asked me how I did and I told him my time. He said "these people are better athletes than we are." Of course he was just being nice, but it made an old guy like me feel good.
Nice! You're in BigPiney territory there.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:33 PM   #57
TheSizzle36

TheSizzle36 is on a distinguished road

I ran two 5k's since Saturday.

Saturday morning I pushed my son in a stroller for 5k, and ran it around 41 minutes. This morning I ran another one, not stopping the whole time and clocked in at about 34:45. I expect to see my time continue to drop as I can build my base up, as well as work on running further distance-wise as well.

What can I say, I'm fat and out of shape, but I'm getting there.
TheSizzle36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #58
Archaea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Chicken View Post

fantastic. I'm afraid to time myself right now.