cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > non-Sports > Fitness and Wellness

Old 08-04-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road
Default My Marathon Training Program

I think that I am going to go with this marathon training program in trying to get through my first marathon in November.

http://www.marathon-training-program...am-finish.html

A couple of things that I like about it:

- 3 days a week. Not only do I enjoy cycling enough to not want to give it up, I also feel like I need at least 1 day in between runs to recover. I've tried back to back runs and I usually don't feel well at all on those days.

- Variety - I like the concept of having one speed day, one tempo day and one long, slow day per week. The speed day is different each week, which will go a long way for me to avoid getting bored.

I am now at about 15 weeks to go. This mornings speed workout was painful but good. 8-400 meter intervals at about 6:45 pace with 90 secs recovery.

Any thoughts on this program? My wife is going with the Hal Higdon program. Its a proven method, but it does three consecutive days during the week with long saturday runs. No speed work.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
ERCougar

ERCougar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegoose View Post
I think that I am going to go with this marathon training program in trying to get through my first marathon in November.

- 3 days a week. Not only do I enjoy cycling enough to not want to give it up, I also feel like I need at least 1 day in between runs to recover. I've tried back to back runs and I usually don't feel well at all on those days.

- Variety - I like the concept of having one speed day, one tempo day and one long, slow day per week. The speed day is different each week, which will go a long way for me to avoid getting bored.

I am now at about 15 weeks to go. This mornings speed workout was painful but good. 8-400 meter intervals at about 6:45 pace with 90 secs recovery.

Any thoughts on this program? My wife is going with the Hal Higdon program. Its a proven method, but it does three consecutive days during the week with long saturday runs. No speed work.
I'm trying this for my half-marathon, which for some reason is two weeks longer than the marathon training program.

I like the program too so far. I'm running faster than my typical runs and I'm not so sick of running. It also allows me to get in my mtn biking. It seems a perfect fit for triathletes--I think the guy who designed it was a runner-turned-triathlete.
ERCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Runner Coug

Runner Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

The FIRST method has been proven successful. I read their book a few months back, it delves a little more into the science behind their program. I think you'll have success with it. I think the biggest hurdle they have to overcome in order for their program to become more trusted is the mentality amongst us weekend warriors that more running=better running. Numerous studies are showing that's not necessarily the case.

I'm sure you've already seen their web site, but if not, the address is http://www.furman.edu/first/index.htm Some of their other programs are outlined on the web site. I would recommend you read the book, too. It's called "Run Less, Run Faster". The biggest thing to remember is that with their program, proper pacing is crucial.

I think I posted a while back that a friend of mine qualified for Boston using the FIRST method, and running only on a treadmill. It has worked well for a lot of people.
Runner Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #4
ERCougar

Quote:

As I looked through the website you linked, I realized my program's a little different. Same 3 runs, same people who designed it but my program's 18 weeks (for the half..it's 12 on yours). I think I pulled it off of Runner's World. I wonder why they made the changes.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #5
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
As I looked through the website you linked, I realized my program's a little different. Same 3 runs, same people who designed it but my program's 18 weeks (for the half..it's 12 on yours). I think I pulled it off of Runner's World. I wonder why they made the changes.
Do you have a link to your program? 18 weeks sounds like a long time to get ready for a half.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:43 PM   #6
ERCougar

Quote:
Do you have a link to your program? 18 weeks sounds like a long time to get ready for a half.
Yeah, that's what I thought about it. I noticed they've changed their Runners World link--which is where I think I got my program I'm using.
Old 08-17-2008, 06:23 PM   #7
ERCougar

Quote:
I found the link: http://www.furman.edu/first/Half%20M...%20Program.pdf

So far, this is a great program. I've gotten much faster and have had ZERO knee issues so far (rare for me). I've only done the first five weeks, but I've never felt this good.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:21 PM   #8
SteelBlue

SteelBlue is an unknown quantity at this point

This program is great for me. The intervals are brutal but I need them. The first run for this week was 5 1K intervals with 400m rest in between. Doesn't look too tough on paper but you're asked to run them 45 seconds faster than your 10k race pace. I can see that if nothing else this program will make you faster.
SteelBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:10 PM   #9
bluegoose

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERCougar View Post
I found the link: http://www.furman.edu/first/Half%20M...%20Program.pdf

So far, this is a great program. I've gotten much faster and have had ZERO knee issues so far (rare for me). I've only done the first five weeks, but I've never felt this good.
So whats the philosophy behind your using this program? I assume its not only to finish a half, but to finish fast, considering you do several runs longer that 13 miles during your training.

As someone who has never run a marathon before, my goal is to finish and feel fairly well at the end. I've also got a goal for time, but I understand that could be a little ambitious for a first timer.

I have never personally understood programs like Galloways where he has you running up to 32 miles to get ready for a marathon. It seems like a waste of time to me. Thats why I like the Furman full marathon training program. The longest run is 20 miles getting ready for it.
Old 08-21-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
ERCougar

Quote:
So whats the philosophy behind your using this program? I assume its not only to finish a half, but to finish fast, considering you do several runs longer that 13 miles during your training.

As someone who has never run a marathon before, my goal is to finish and feel fairly well at the end. I've also got a goal for time, but I understand that could be a little ambitious for a first timer.

I have never personally understood programs like Galloways where he has you running up to 32 miles to get ready for a marathon. It seems like a waste of time to me. Thats why I like the Furman full marathon training program. The longest run is 20 miles getting ready for it.
My philosophy is that this was a program that lets me run only three times a week while promising to improve my speed. If I had come across your version first, I probably would have done it instead, but I was already into mine. I do think 18 weeks is a little excessive for a half-marathon, but I had that much time until the one I was running so it didn't matter much.

I don't think it's overly ambitious to have a time goal for a first half-marathon. A half is a lot less than half of a marathon's impact on your body, so I don't think you have to proceed quite as carefully. Just my opinion.

EDIT: Also, no, I don't get Galloway's philosophy either. My wife followed that program last year for St George, running the Logan marathon as her last "long run" before St George. I think that long of a run hurt her in the end, despite the fact that she tried to run Logan really slowly. In a half-marathon, I think it does make sense to go longer than 13 in your training because you're not beating down your body nearly as hard.

Last edited by ERCougar; 08-21-2008 at 03:22 PM.