cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 06:27 PM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpfunk View Post
To people who want all flash and no substance it is a boring oh-fense. To people who actually know the game of basketball and enjoy execution of great fundamentals, it is a thing of beauty.

I don't think I have ever seen a more exciting oh-fense than the Andre Miller executed Majerus oh-fense.
Yep. If one can't appreciate the Majerus offense, one only has a superficial understanding of basketball.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #12
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Yep. If one can't appreciate the Majerus offense, one only has a superficial understanding of basketball.
Blah blah blah. There are tons of other successful basketball coaches that derive their success from a much more exciting brand of O-fense than Majerus'. Let's start with Coach K, as much as I hate that piece of crap.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #13
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Blah blah blah. There are tons of other successful basketball coaches that derive their success from a much more exciting brand of O-fense than Majerus'. Let's start with Coach K, as much as I hate that piece of crap.
Blah, blah, blah?

Perhaps I hit a little too close to center with that, eh?

I stand by my statement.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:00 PM   #14
Indy Coug

Quote:
Blah, blah, blah?

Perhaps I hit a little too close to center with that, eh?

I stand by my statement.
Fundamental basketball doesn't solely manifest itself in some highly constrained form. Successful, more uptempo, more entertaining styles of basketball are out there than Majerus' style and they are just as solid fundamentally.
Old 10-07-2007, 07:10 PM   #15
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

Quote:
Fundamental basketball doesn't solely manifest itself in some highly constrained form. Successful, more uptempo, more entertaining styles of basketball are out there than Majerus' style and they are just as solid fundamentally.
I'l give you that, but you need to admit that your comments about Majerus is based solely on your irrational hatred for the Utes. Otherwise you only look like someone who can't be entertained unless it's all SportsCenter highlights.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:11 PM   #16
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

While it's hard to argue against the success Majerus had, it is very ignorant to say that his style of O-fense is the only fundamentally sound style of ball.

There are several different kinds.

I'm not slamming the Majerus style at all. In fact like some have said, when it's run efficiently it is a thing of beauty, but it hardly corners the market on fundamental ball as there are many varieties.
Old 10-07-2007, 08:11 PM   #17
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
While it's hard to argue against the success Majerus had, it is very ignorant to say that his style of O-fense is the only fundamentally sound style of ball.

There are several different kinds.

I'm not slamming the Majerus style at all. In fact like some have said, when it's run efficiently it is a thing of beauty, but it hardly corners the market on fundamental ball as there are many varieties.

I think there are other styles of fundamentally sound basketball. I don't even think that Majerus' oh-fense is the pinnacle of fundamentals either.

But anyone who cannot appreciate a perfectly executed motion offense is a basketball moron.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:33 PM   #18
OrangeUte

OrangeUte is on a distinguished road

Quote:
His O-fense is beyond boring. You can cite NCAA successes all you want, but aesthetically it is a 40 gallon drum of Epicac.
did you watch any of the ass-whoopings the utes doled out during the 1998 ncaa tournament?

i question whether you really know much about basketball. you are probably a fan who thinks hoops is all about fast breaks as opposed to set offenses.
OrangeUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:34 AM   #19
Indy Coug

Quote:
I'l give you that, but you need to admit that your comments about Majerus is based solely on your irrational hatred for the Utes. Otherwise you only look like someone who can't be entertained unless it's all SportsCenter highlights.
Well, I think you'll find me consistently speak out against deliberate basketball, college and pro, so to say it's SOLELY would be very inaccurate.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:36 AM   #20
Indy Coug

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeUte View Post
did you watch any of the ass-whoopings the utes doled out during the 1998 ncaa tournament?

i question whether you really know much about basketball. you are probably a fan who thinks hoops is all about fast breaks as opposed to set offenses.
What the hell are you talking about? I'm talking purely about aesthetics. Teams that consistently take 30 of the 35 second shot clock to get a shot off aren't that exciting to watch.

I know plenty about basketball and I know exactly why Majerus ran that type of offense, but that doesn't mean I think it was fun to watch.