cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2007, 04:07 PM   #11
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

A JT who has to always second guess about being pulled is kind of a worthless JT. That's the ironic thing. he is what he is. Rose killing him is not going to help the team.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:12 PM   #12
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I would like to try and guard Jimmer.

I have no doubt he is a far superior to me. But I wonder how his slowness compares to my slowness.
Because of what Jimmer did in High School, I'm really rooting for him to do well as the potential seems to be there, but honestly I'm not sure what he's done on the court to where he deserves to play significant minutes.

Doesn't defend much, shoots a poor percentage, not a good passer or ballhandler, isn't much of a playmaker, etc.

Maybe he's really good in practice.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
When Rose pulled JT from the game in the first half, apparently Tav didn't think he should have been taken out because when Rose went to give him five and pat him on the back, Tavernari slapped up at Rose's hand pretty hard and pronounced showing his displeasure with being pulled. For good reason, that pissed off Rose who followed Tavernari to the end of the bench and had some words with JT - and it didn't appear they were discussing where they would meet for ice-cream cones after the game.
Also at half time, when the team went to the locker room, Rose stopped Tav in the tunnel and had a nice stern talk with him.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:18 PM   #14
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
A JT who has to always second guess about being pulled is kind of a worthless JT. That's the ironic thing. he is what he is. Rose killing him is not going to help the team.
I tend to agree with this. He's free wheeling but he's got to be free wheeling--that's his game. If Rose tries to hard to leash him, it's going to completely destroy him. He's good enough to be a solid starter for a top 25 team/MWC championship type team, IMHO. He needs minor tweaking, not a total overhaul.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #15
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Because of what Jimmer did in High School, I'm really rooting for him to do well as the potential seems to be there, but honestly I'm not sure what he's done on the court to where he deserves to play significant minutes.

Doesn't defend much, shoots a poor percentage, not a good passer or ballhandler, isn't much of a playmaker, etc.

All the footage I saw of him in high school looked like he was facing terrible competition, and had almost zero defense against him. It looked worse than my church pickup games.

There were some suggestions that he play the one, but I have seen much in the way of him putting the ball on the floor to indicate he could handle it.
Old 12-14-2007, 03:26 PM   #16
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:

What? Here comes my biased defense of Jimmer. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=252

He is leading the team in steals and did a solid job on Neitzel. His shooting percentage was close to 50% in both 3pt an fg about 3 games ago. I agree in the last couple games he hasn't shot the ball well. Also did you see how he handled the press against Lamar late in the game? Obviously you didn't see the crossover he put on Lamar or you wouldn't question his handle, also you must not have seen the steel and nice pass that he gave to lee that led to the off the backboard dunk by plaisted. He is a fresman. Give him time, and don't make judgements on seein him play once or twice.

Last edited by Prof-Bball; 12-14-2007 at 03:29 PM.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 03:29 PM   #17
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
What? Here comes my biased defense of Jimmer. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/teams/stats?teamId=252

He is leading the team in steals and did a solid job on Neitzel. His shooting percentage was close to 50% in both 3pt an fg about 3 games ago. I agree in the last couple games he hasn't shot the ball well. Also did you see how he handled the press against Lamar late in the game?
Fair enough - interesting to see the stats. While Jimmer has been less than impressive in many aspects, there is nothing in those stats to suggest he shouldn't be getting at least 17 minutes a game.

Murdock averaging 4 points on 38% FGs and 21% from 3. wow.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 05:05 PM   #18
MikeWaters
Demiurge

No I didn't watch much of the Lamar game. So I missed those things.

I have noticed that Jimmer has good instincts in terms of getting a hand into a passing lane and disrupting, more than his quickness would suggest.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:17 PM   #19
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I would like to try and guard Jimmer.

I have no doubt he is a far superior to me. But I wonder how his slowness compares to my slowness.
Don't kid yourself, Mike. He would completely kick your ass. Slowness is relative.
Old 12-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Don't kid yourself, Mike. He would completely kick your ass. Slowness is relative.
Probably at this point, given my old age, yes. Equal age? I don't think Jimmer would outquick me. He would out- everything else me however.

I play against a guy at work--he's about 5'7" and quick as hell. He has all kinds of moves that Jimmer does not have, and he shoots out to about 25 feet.

For example, this guy can drive full speed in two steps, then step back in one fluid motion and hit a 3. Sorry there ain't a guy on the whole BYU team with that move. (and no I can't guard it--I give him the drive and take away the 3).

You're kidding yourself if you think Jimmer is in some sort of quickness category beyond anything that's on the playground.