cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #11
cougjunkie

cougjunkie is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prof-Bball View Post
Jimmer needs to be the primary pg next year. He is averaging close to 7 pts and 3 assists a game in conference play with an assist to turnover ratio of about 2.1/1 while shooting near 40% from 3. He is doing this in less than 17 mpg. Last night he had 10 & 5 in 20 minutes with 3 really nice drive and dishes.

I disagree with K-Dog. I have seen nothing this year that leads me to beleive that Lloyd is going to be the future at pg on this team. If he was he would be playing more. I think you would agree that the pg is the weakest position on the team and lloyd is consistantly the eighth guy off the bench. I do not see the progress or skills that he has seen. If the coaches want Lloyd to back up the point that is fine, but he should be strictly a combo guard not designated pg.

There was a play last night that encapsulated my vision of Lloyd on this team. I think JT got a steal and Lloyd took off down the floor beating everyone down the floor and received the pass for an easy layup. I think he and his skills are much better for that type of a roll. It should be him and Emery competeing for the starting 2 guard next year.

Of course this is all just biased opinion.

I disagree I like Jimmer at the 2 and Loyd at the point next year. Loyd does a good job of breaking the press, and running the offense, he needs more confidence with his shot and the reason he is the "8th" guy off the bench is because Murdock is a better player right now and the offense does run much better with Ben in the game. Jimmer and Collinsworth are a lot more versatile than Loyd so that is why they get off the bench earlier than Loyd does.

Also regarding Mikes point about Jimmer and Loyd not being very good, Jimmer is going to be a good player at BYU, if he ges more disciplined on defense he will be a solid 2 guard. Loyd has potential but he is raw, I think he is getting better every game however. With Lee, Trent, and JT back next year we could have you run the point and Archaea play the 2 and be a top 25 team.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:16 PM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

I largely agree. A few comments.

1. You're wrong on Morgan's quickness. I think he's the quickest player I've ever seen in a BYU BB uniform. He's not as fast as Loyd up the court but he's lightning quick with the ball and on the ball D. He's too short and lacks aggressive attitude to bring much to the table, though. I don't expect him to play much ever.

2. I lack confidence in Loyd's shot also, but he shoots 3's as often as Murdock and is 33% 5/15. I'm going to be optimistic that he works on his shot a lot this summer and becomes more confident in it, shooting a little more often and raising the % a few.

3. I don't have much basis in this, just based on reading a couple articles on Harstock and hearing Rose talk about him once in an interview, I think Harstock will be better than Collinsworth offensively but not as good on D especially guarding a big 4 and rebounding. Shouldn't be much of a drop off, though next year even coming off a mission. And I like his potential for after that.

4. I'm very confident in Jimmer stepping up and being a 14 pt a game guy next year. I think he'll stay at the 2 and Loyd will be the point. I have more anxiety about Loyd doing his job than Jimmer.

5. I'm like you on Emery. He got a lot of attention because he did some nice things as a frosh, but he was in a very defined role where he only got a few minutes a game with high energy pressure defense and scored on fast breaks. I don't expect to see him as a star wing player anytime soon, especially off a mission. But he'll be adequate in a backup role. I don't see Abou playing much right away but we'll see.

6. Everything depends on Plaisted. If he stays, we'll be better than we are this year and have shot at 3 MWC championships in a row (the NCAA who knows?). If he goes, we'll have big issues inside and probably will be NIT bound. Miles has a lot more polishing on offense to go before we can depend on him.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 PM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Jimmer needs to be the primary pg next year. He is averaging close to 7 pts and 3 assists a game in conference play with an assist to turnover ratio of about 2.1/1 while shooting near 40% from 3. He is doing this in less than 17 mpg. Last night he had 10 & 5 in 20 minutes with 3 really nice drive and dishes.

I disagree with K-Dog. I have seen nothing this year that leads me to beleive that Lloyd is going to be the future at pg on this team. If he was he would be playing more. I think you would agree that the pg is the weakest position on the team and lloyd is consistantly the eighth guy off the bench. I do not see the progress or skills that he has seen. If the coaches want Lloyd to back up the point that is fine, but he should be strictly a combo guard not designated pg.

There was a play last night that encapsulated my vision of Lloyd on this team. I think JT got a steal and Lloyd took off down the floor beating everyone down the floor and received the pass for an easy layup. I think he and his skills are much better for that type of a roll. It should be him and Emery competeing for the starting 2 guard next year.

Of course this is all just biased opinion.
Jimmer won't be the starting PG next year. He just needs to get used that idea.

Not with Lamont Morgan and Michael Loyd in tow. However It will be nice to have another option on floor along with the point guard that is able to create somewhat and pass. You can never have enough passers on the floor.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:21 PM   #14
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Charles Abouo will likely see time at the wing as a Freshman next year.

6'5, 220lbs. He's supposed to be very athletic.

I think there's a VERY good chance that we'll be better at EVERY position on the floor next year. And that's encouraging in many ways...

C: Plaisted as a Sr probably will be better than as a Jr. He's already shown signs of growth as his Jr year has progressed. He's actually hit a few shots recently from the top of the key...and if he can start hitting that consistently, he becomes a truly dominant Center in the MWC.

PF: JT, without his Sophomore Slump, more patient & confident that he'll get his shots, but within the offense...

SF: Lee has improved every year. He could be truly dominant as a Senior.

SG: While I don't dislike Burgess like many seem to, I don't think there's any doubt a combo of Jimmer & his backups could easily be better.

PG: Again, I like Murdock. But, again, there's definitely some options here (including a potential JC Transfer we don't know about now) that could easily improve play at the point. Specifically, the ability to penetrate the key and dish or score could be significantly upgraded.

And considering we were just a few more minutes of quality play from beating BOTH NC & Mich State this year (and a shooting slump from those & UNLV being our only losses), I could see us being a TRUE top-25 team next year.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 PM   #15
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post

I think there's a VERY good chance that we'll be better at EVERY position on the floor next year. And that's encouraging in many ways...
I agree, except for point. PG issue will be even more glaring next year when the other positions are improved and point is even worse. Maybe Rose goes after another JC.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:34 PM   #16
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
I agree, except for point. PG issue will be even more glaring next year when the other positions are improved and point is even worse. Maybe Rose goes after another JC.
I can see this happening.

On the other hand, we'll have more options at the point than we did this year. I'm not going to assign the position as a liability until I see the players perform next year.

-Does Lloyd get over his Freshman-ish tendencies and develop into a good point?

-Does Morgan provide good quickness & penetration abilities while not becoming a liability by being posted up on D by opposing points?

-Does Jimmer likewise overcome his tendency to commit Freshman-like mistakes in aggressiveness?

Sure, there's lots of questions here...but we really only need ONE of them to make the jump to be at least as good as we are this year.

FWIW, I'm not overly concerned about our ability to break the press. We've done an adequate job every year under Rose, and I expect that to continue. It's more a function of passing than it is ball-handling anyway...
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #17
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Jimmer won't be the starting PG next year. He just needs to get used that idea.

Not with Lamont Morgan and Michael Loyd in tow. However It will be nice to have another option on floor along with the point guard that is able to create somewhat and pass. You can never have enough passers on the floor.
I wouldn't be so sure about the point. That is all.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #18
jay santos

Quote:
Prof can you share with us if Rose has given Jimmer any indication he might move to point in the future or get a shot at it?
Old 02-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #19
Prof-Bball

Prof-Bball is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Prof can you share with us if Rose has given Jimmer any indication he might move to point in the future or get a shot at it?
Yes. When? Not specified. But things can change. I know jimmer would like a shot.
Prof-Bball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:53 PM   #20
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Thanks but until I see otherwise, I will be sure.