cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 06:14 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

IPU, you're acting like a PC liberal. Zoots, yewts, or Utes, there just weren't many of any of them at the game. Plain and simple.
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOhio View Post
IPU, you're acting like a PC liberal. Zoots, yewts, or Utes, there just weren't many of any of them at the game. Plain and simple.
Correct. Unlike a PC liberal, I eventually admitted I was wrong in this thread.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 06:16 AM   #13
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Fair enough. I'm tired and reading too much into your posts. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it. ) I failed to mention that the Ute fans I'm talking about are those who show up in the Huntsman Center. So few fans at a game in Provo is odd, I agree, but more annoying is that there are so many empty seats in the Huntsman Center. That's where Boylen and his team deserve more support.

I've always maintained that there really is a large Ute fan base - for several reasons, one being there are a lot more BYU fans in this state. That's how it is and I'm ok with it.
The fact that the Huntsman Center has been barren this year further supports what I'm saying. I've been up to a couple of games up there this year and the student section was flat out embarrassingly absent.

**Note** This is not a knock on you. I know you're a real Ute fan.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:24 AM   #14
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
The fact that the Huntsman Center has been barren this year further supports what I'm saying. I've been up to a couple of games up there this year and the student section was flat out embarrassingly absent.

**Note** This is not a knock on you. I know you're a real Ute fan.
I appreciate that. (I was hoping for a bit more sarcasm though. )

The students at the U really are pathetic basketball fans. I see several football players in the student section and it makes me wonder if they ever think about announcing to their classmates to get their hinies to the HC to watch the basketball games. (Louie Sakoda is the loudest student in that small group.)

Unfortunately for Utah, it suffers from acute commuterism and I'd even guess a bit of Cougarism as well as I know 2 Utah students in my ward who are BYU athletic fans.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:22 PM   #15
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Sad they aren't showing up as in the past, but the worst thing I've seen is all the "we got screwed by the refs" talk over on UteFans. There was a time not so far off that that was the sole territory of "those stupid zoobies."

Urban's impact was greater than we all thought possible.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 12:47 PM   #16
DrumNFeather
Active LDS Ute Fan

DrumNFeather is an unknown quantity at this point

Boylan knows he has to win fans back. The diehards will always be there, it's the casual fan/student that you have to win back at a school like Utah and that just takes time.

I could be wrong, but with a strong finish this year, and a good home schedule next year, the attendance numbers will start to turn around.
DrumNFeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM   #17
Jeff Lebowski
Charon

Jeff Lebowski is on a distinguished road

Something else that surprised me a bit: we had more BYU fans to the UNLV game last week (22K) than to the Utah game last night (19K).
Old 02-21-2008, 03:48 PM   #18
bluegoose

bluegoose is on a distinguished road

Like Rocky said, I think the lower attendance had more to do with it being an 8:00pm start time on a wednesday night than the fact that it was Utah versus UNLV. The students should have still shown up in full force, but you're going to lose a good chunk of those with kids, like IPU who would rather not have their kids get home at 11:00 on a school night.
bluegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:55 PM   #19
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
As we were walking into the MC tonight I was surprised at how few Ute fans I saw. We usually get a huge group of them, scattered in bunches all through the arena; and they are usually loud and obnoxious. Which of course makes the game a lot more fun. But they were few and far between tonight. There was only one group sitting together, just above portal M. We ended up sitting next to them and we looked forward to being entertained by the typical chants and smack. But we were sorely disappointed. Even though it was a close game, they never seemed to get too excited. And the best they could come up with was a weak "DUI...DUI..." chant every time Plaisted went to the line. After the game, some sad-looking fan in red was holding up a poster that read (I am not making this up) "Hey LD people, stop judging us". Whoa. Dude.

Those poor Ute fans seem completely emasculated. It was actually pretty sad.
Boylen hasn't won enough to win back the casual fan. Most really knew they were going to lose. Finally, I have long felt that the most crushing loss I have seen since I started paying attention to this rivalry was BYU beating Utah in football last year. That game emasculated Utenation like nothing most of us have witnessed. Other than the diehard's the rest of Utenation went into a hibernation after that miracle and the season BYU had in 2007. Last year returned Utah football into the shadow of BYU football in a very rude way and the impact on excitement for hoops, another place BYU presently owns Utah, was not real great for Utenation.

I like Boylen a lot, but most realize that Utah saw its pinnacle just a few years ago and it is going to take some time to reenergize those who believe they had discovered their manifest destiny.

It will be interesting to see how the Utes react against a very difficult UNM squad on saturday.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #20
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Utes tend to work more in evenings/nights/graveyard. You don't think gas stations run themselves, do you?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote