cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-21-2008, 02:55 PM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I am beginning to believe

that BYU might actually win one in the dance. The mixture of defense, good outside shooters and BYU's ability inside has me believing more than before. Since the midseason slump and UNLV debacle I figured that BYU's backcourt would be so athletically manhandled that come tournie time the Y would turn the ball over 20 times and lose. With the emergence of Jimmer at PG and the genuine ability to compete on the defensive end I actually think there is a really good shot BYU could finally get that win.

Further, props goes to Dave Rose for what he has done with Jonathon Tavernari. JT is now an asset out there in multiple ways. Offensively he is becoming a complete player with the ability to pass the ball and involve others in his game. He is competing on defense and using his physical strength to rebound. He will never be able to guard perimeter players as he lacks the quickness, but as a shorter 4 he is OK because of his bulk and physical strength.

Next two games will really be the indicator of where BYU is. UNM is playing very, very well right now. In fact they might be playing better than BYU. I do not forsee a win in the Pit and to be honest they are the team I least want to face in the MWC tourney. SDSU has slipped a bit but beating them in San Diego will still be tough but I think BYU will win on Saturday.

I think it is time to start thinking about seeding for BYU at the tourney. If BYU wins out I think they will be a 5 or 6 seed. If the Y only loses one more game this year and it is not the 1st round of the MWC tourney, I see them coming in at 7 or 8. If they lose two more games I think they will be a 9 or 10. If they lose 3 they are a bubble team and will get a 12 seed.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #2
Indy Coug

Indy Coug is an unknown quantity at this point

Regarding outside shooting, only Lee Cummard is shooting over 40% from 3 point range.
Indy Coug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 02:58 PM   #3
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know why Burgess and Murdock even see the court.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Coug View Post
Regarding outside shooting, only Lee Cummard is shooting over 40% from 3 point range.
But Burgess or Tavernari can both get very hot from downtown on any given night.

The real key, however, is how hard they compete on the defensive end.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:09 PM   #5
Spaz

Spaz is on a distinguished road

Personally, I think Murdock sees the court because he's got nearly a 3 Assist-to-turnover ratio...he's in the top 20 in the country in that regard.
Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
Personally, I think Murdock sees the court because he's got nearly a 3 Assist-to-turnover ratio...he's in the top 20 in the country in that regard.
He is steady, but it would not surprise me if in crunch time in the NCAA game Fredette is on the court. Murdock will continue to start but by then I can see Jimmer playing almost half the game at PG.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #7
smokymountainrain

smokymountainrain is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
I don't know why Burgess and Murdock even see the court.
nor do I and their lack of any ability to do anything positive on the court is going to bite them in the NCAA's.

My kindergartener son was drawing a book for school the other day and he was drawing BYU's starting lineup and a picture of what they do will. He drew Plaisted shooting a hook shot, Tavernari shooting a jumper and Cummard dunking.

I couldn't think of how to tell him to draw a picture of Murdock not turning the ball over. Seriously, when any BYU fan talks about what Murdock brings to the team, they can't think of anything he does well, it is always - "well he doesn't turn it over". Maybe it's just me, but if a guy isn't making plays, color me unimpressed that he just doesn't turn it over.
smokymountainrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokymountainrain View Post
nor do I and their lack of any ability to do anything positive on the court is going to bite them in the NCAA's.

My kindergartener son was drawing a book for school the other day and he was drawing BYU's starting lineup and a picture of what they do will. He drew Plaisted shooting a hook shot, Tavernari shooting a jumper and Cummard dunking.

I couldn't think of how to tell him to draw a picture of Murdock not turning the ball over. Seriously, when any BYU fan talks about what Murdock brings to the team, they can't think of anything he does well, it is always - "well he doesn't turn it over". Maybe it's just me, but if a guy isn't making plays, color me unimpressed that he just doesn't turn it over.
You can have a guy that is invisible as long as there is not the potential for a serious liability out there with him. If Burgess is shooting well it is ok that Murdock is a liability. If he is not shooting well, it hurts. I see how well Murdock looks dependent on if Burgess is liability Sam or Sam that is shooting well.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #9
Mormon Red Death

Mormon Red Death is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
that BYU might actually win one in the dance. The mixture of defense, good outside shooters and BYU's ability inside has me believing more than before. Since the midseason slump and UNLV debacle I figured that BYU's backcourt would be so athletically manhandled that come tournie time the Y would turn the ball over 20 times and lose. With the emergence of Jimmer at PG and the genuine ability to compete on the defensive end I actually think there is a really good shot BYU could finally get that win.

Further, props goes to Dave Rose for what he has done with Jonathon Tavernari. JT is now an asset out there in multiple ways. Offensively he is becoming a complete player with the ability to pass the ball and involve others in his game. He is competing on defense and using his physical strength to rebound. He will never be able to guard perimeter players as he lacks the quickness, but as a shorter 4 he is OK because of his bulk and physical strength.

Next two games will really be the indicator of where BYU is. UNM is playing very, very well right now. In fact they might be playing better than BYU. I do not forsee a win in the Pit and to be honest they are the team I least want to face in the MWC tourney. SDSU has slipped a bit but beating them in San Diego will still be tough but I think BYU will win on Saturday.

I think it is time to start thinking about seeding for BYU at the tourney. If BYU wins out I think they will be a 5 or 6 seed. If the Y only loses one more game this year and it is not the 1st round of the MWC tourney, I see them coming in at 7 or 8. If they lose two more games I think they will be a 9 or 10. If they lose 3 they are a bubble team and will get a 12 seed.
this conference is sad if our top team is doubting it can win a first round game where they will most likely be the higher seed.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM   #10
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

I can't remember who it was that drove off Prof Ball because he didn't think Jimmer could hack it, but whoever that was, was in error.

Jimmer has progressed from the beginning and you believe his shot is true. Plaisted doesn't do well against centers taller than he, but at least he competed at both ends last night.

Cummard is becoming a complete player, and Tav has improved to be better involved.

Frankly, Plaisted, Cummard, Tav and Jimmer are some of the better combinations BYU's had in a long time. And Miles, Collinsworth and other provide some quality minutes.