cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 01:26 AM   #1
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default FIFTEEN offensive RB's by UNLV

How pathetic is that? No, no, no, no excuse for that crap!
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 01:47 AM   #2
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by exUte View Post
How pathetic is that? No, no, no, no excuse for that crap!
Out of curiosity could you explain how that happens? I am honestly interested if you, and nobody answer for exie, have enough of a grasp of the game to analytically explain why UNLV had that many offensive boards.

If you can I will mock you less.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
exUte

Default Pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Out of curiosity could you explain how that happens? I am honestly interested if you, and nobody answer for exie, have enough of a grasp of the game to analytically explain why UNLV had that many offensive boards.

If you can I will mock you less.
Desire, hustle, and we were out of position.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:51 AM   #4
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Desire, hustle, and we were out of position.
I don't buy the desire and hustle bullshit. Those are weasil words. BYU gave every bit as much effort, but they were out of position. Do you know why?
Old 03-16-2008, 01:53 AM   #5
exUte

Default Then you haven't played sports.......

Quote:
I don't buy the desire and hustle bullshit. Those are weasil words. BYU gave every bit as much effort, but they were out of position. Do you know why?
but I'm not surprised. Why is Trent playing defense outside the top of the key? There were also plenty of hustle rebounds that we lost.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:01 AM   #6
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Anytime we have Plaisted outside the 3 point line, on either side of the floor, we are in deep doo-doo.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #7
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
but I'm not surprised. Why is Trent playing defense outside the top of the key? There were also plenty of hustle rebounds that we lost.
Here is the answer dipshit. Trent Plaisted was guarding Rene Rogeau who happens to shoot about 39% from 3. Therefore Trent has to play close enough to him to discourage the 3. This isn't rocket science and how you could watch the game as much as you do and not grasp it should be alarming to you. The reason BYU is out of position is because UNLV has quicker players at every position on the court. Therefore they spread the court and BYU is spread out. BYU has no choice but to cover the UNLV players because they all are good 3 point shooters. Then UNLV can use its advantage to penetrate. This forces the BYU defenders to rotate. Those of you who understand these basic concepts humor me. Rotation might be what you do with a vibrator, but in basketball it means that you leave your man to cover another because the other is closer to the basket and thus a bigger threat. When you rotate in a man to man and a shot goes up you have lost your man as you scramble to find one to box out it usually leaves at least one or two men free to come and get an offensive board. Most of the offensive rebounds were from the weak side because the man covering the guy along the baseline had no choice but to rotate to give help on Curtis Terry, or Wink Adams or Rene Rougeau who all could beat their man off the dribble if their defenders clamped down enough to prevent an uncontested 3.

So what killed BYU was inability to be adequate on the ball defenders. Sam Burgess, Jimmer Fredette, Tavernari, Murdock and Plaisted are your principal culprits. Lloyd, Cummard and Collinsworth actually can defend adequately on the ball. Cummard is the best of that bunch, but he isn't as good as Mike Hall or Travis Hansen was.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:03 AM   #8
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Anytime we have Plaisted outside the 3 point line, on either side of the floor, we are in deep doo-doo.
This goes to my question I just posted in the other thread, but seriously...is this common? Does Rose usually have his bigs playing D outside the perimeter, where they pick up fouls because they cant move laterally as quickly?

I think there is a reason you dont see Shaq guarding Jason Kidd at half-court a whole bunch.

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:04 AM   #9
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Here is the answer dipshit. Trent Plaisted was guarding Rene Rogeau who happens to shoot about 39% from 3. Therefore Trent has to play close enough to him to discourage the 3. This isn't rocket science and how you could watch the game as much as you do and not grasp it should be alarming to you. The reason BYU is out of position is because UNLV has quicker players at every position on the court. Therefore they spread the court and BYU is spread out. BYU has no choice but to cover the UNLV players because they all are good 3 point shooters. Then UNLV can use its advantage to penetrate. This forces the BYU defenders to rotate. Those of you who understand these basic concepts humor me. Rotation might be what you do with a vibrator, but in basketball it means that you leave your man to cover another because the other is closer to the basket and thus a bigger threat. When you rotate in a man to man and a shot goes up you have lost your man as you scramble to find one to box out it usually leaves at least one or two men free to come and get an offensive board. Most of the offensive rebounds were from the weak side because the man covering the guy along the baseline had no choice but to rotate to give help on Curtis Terry, or Wink Adams or Rene Rougeau who all could beat their man off the dribble if their defenders clamped down enough to prevent an uncontested 3.

So what killed BYU was inability to be adequate on the ball defenders. Sam Burgess, Jimmer Fredette, Tavernari, Murdock and Plaisted are your principal culprits. Lloyd, Cummard and Collinsworth actually can defend adequately on the ball. Cummard is the best of that bunch, but he isn't as good as Mike Hall or Travis Hansen was.
You are wrong.

BYU does a solid job of rotating.

Sincerely,

Wink's back-to-back wide open 3 point shots

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:06 AM   #10
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripletDaddy View Post
You are wrong.

BYU does a solid job of rotating.

Sincerely,

Wink's back-to-back wide open 3 point shots
It is a pick your poison. You can rotate to the guy penetrating or you can stay on your man. Especially off the pick and roll when your big shot blocker is still at the free throw line or higher.

If you can't defend penetration it is hard to stop the opponent from scoring because as you saw they will get many more chances to score.