cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2008, 02:10 AM   #11
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
It is a pick your poison. You can rotate to the guy penetrating or you can stay on your man. Especially off the pick and roll when your big shot blocker is still at the free throw line or higher.

If you can't defend penetration it is hard to stop the opponent from scoring because as you saw they will get many more chances to score.
I respect your knowledge of Xs and Os because I know that you were taught by Chief Severn.

Oh, he may not have been your coach, but sometime during regionals, you were taught nonetheless....

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:11 AM   #12
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

GN, I just lost respect for your basketball knowledge, in that you didn't address Plaisted's complete fiasco tonight as a defender, esp. on the pick and roll.

You gave him a free pass. Does he have naked pictures of you?
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:14 AM   #13
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
GN, I just lost respect for your basketball knowledge, in that you didn't address Plaisted's complete fiasco tonight as a defender, esp. on the pick and roll.

You gave him a free pass. Does he have naked pictures of you?
Trent defended it well enough, he just got nailed for fouls and if he is not allowed to bump 25 feet from the basket BYU is dead. Trent covering the pick and roll improperly was the issue. The issue was UNLV could execute it properly because they were quicker.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:17 AM   #14
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Ah quickness. that old bug-a-boo.

How is that slow-footed Jimmer can get to the rim, and no one else on BYU can?

How many charges did BYU draw with all these UNLV guys dashing to the basket?

That old canard, "athleticism" and "quickness".
Old 03-16-2008, 02:33 AM   #15
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default How often did we drive to the basket to try

Quote:

and draw a foul? Or did UNLV know we couldn't finish (other than Jimmer) and thus wouldn't have tried to block the shots or hammer the player?
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:35 AM   #16
exUte

exUte can only hope to improve
Default Pick and roll at midcourt? Plus, not all

Quote:
It is a pick your poison. You can rotate to the guy penetrating or you can stay on your man. Especially off the pick and roll when your big shot blocker is still at the free throw line or higher.

If you can't defend penetration it is hard to stop the opponent from scoring because as you saw they will get many more chances to score.
15 offensive rebounds were because TP was playing 20 feet from the basket. He couldn't shoot, he couldn't rebound......he was MIA. But like I like your term of endearment. Classic GN. He has to name call or refer to a woman's anatomy in most of his posts! Classic GN.
exUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:43 AM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:

Jimmer can get to the rim because he is physically stronger and a better ballhandler. Burgess has the strength to compensate for his lack of God given quickness but he lacks the ballhandling ability. Very few Utah high school guards have that type of ballhandling skills. Those are developed on the playgrounds close to a major ocean.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
JThose are developed on the playgrounds close to a major ocean.
Hmmm....I can't say that I agree. I've never heard of any basketball players from Thailand.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 02:48 AM   #19
MikeWaters
Demiurge

Jimmer is actually not the smoothest ballhandler.

It's his ability to recognize space and use space and to be in control.

Burgess is not in control and when he drives the game speeds up and decisions become poor.

When Jimmer takes the ball towards the rim, the game is not sped up in his brain, and he is able to take advantage of a variety of options.

It's not ball handling. It's not strength. It's basketball IQ.

I guess we have fundamental differences in how we see the game of basketball, me and you. I'm disappointed. You had better stick to football prognostication.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:55 AM   #20
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Jimmer is actually not the smoothest ballhandler.

It's his ability to recognize space and use space and to be in control.

Burgess is not in control and when he drives the game speeds up and decisions become poor.

When Jimmer takes the ball towards the rim, the game is not sped up in his brain, and he is able to take advantage of a variety of options.

It's not ball handling. It's not strength. It's basketball IQ.

I guess we have fundamental differences in how we see the game of basketball, me and you. I'm disappointed. You had better stick to football prognostication.
Jimmer is a much better ballhandler than Burgess. Sam can barely use his left hand. Ballhandling is fundamentally responsible for the difference in ability to take it to the hole. Perhaps you can read Burgess mind and recognize that the game speeding up too much is responsible for the ball going off his knee or shin or getting it stolen. You are the shrink, not me. I just see a guy unable to contol the ball in traffic.

Jimmer does have a better hoops IQ, I agree with you that he recognizes better opportunities to get to the hole, but he can also create them and the biggest reason is he is strong enough and can handle the ball well enough to take the contact and still get there. He has to take the contact because he is not quick enough to avoid it.