cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 01:55 AM   #1
ute4ever
I must not tell lies

ute4ever is an unknown quantity at this point
Default So what does the enemy think of Utah's new coach?

Jim Boylen from Michigan State.

I'd prefer not to scroll through Cougarboard to do my own research project; I'd rather have the opinion of those on this site, thanks.
ute4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:30 AM   #2
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

His credentials are good and he should be a good x's and o's guy, though probably not to the level of Majerus. The real question will be if he can find a vein of recruits that can put the Utes in sustained prominence. I think it will be a tough job to succeed in a way that is even close to Fatty M. If he does I doubt that he will stay around long.

Mostly he is a big question mark because he has no head coaching track record to judge from.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:36 AM   #3
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Jim Boylen from Michigan State.

I'd prefer not to scroll through Cougarboard to do my own research project; I'd rather have the opinion of those on this site, thanks.
He appears to be a solid coach. But then I'm sure the top assistant at any of the top 20 programs or NBA teams all would have similar resumes. Few of them get head coaching offers from top programs (based on numbers alone). Boylen doesn't appear to have had a lot of interest in him from other teams in the past but I may be wrong.

Who are his assistants? From a BYU point of view, I don't mind Utah having a strong program if their recruiting focus is on out of state and non-LDS. He doesn't have any recruiting connections in the west.

My gut feeling is that he'll be moderately successful and when/if has a great year he'll move on to another program back east.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:37 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroitdad View Post
His credentials are good and he should be a good x's and o's guy, though probably not to the level of Majerus. The real question will be if he can find a vein of recruits that can put the Utes in sustained prominence. I think it will be a tough job to succeed in a way that is even close to Fatty M. If he does I doubt that he will stay around long.

Mostly he is a big question mark because he has no head coaching track record to judge from.
I'm curious as to why you don't think he'd be around long if he's successful at Utah. Majerus was very successful and stayed for 15 years or so.

I'm not saying that Utah is a premiere job - I'm just curious as to why Cougar fans don't think a basketball coach will stay there after precedence shows that he will.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #5
jay santos

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
I'm curious as to why you don't think he'd be around long if he's successful at Utah. Majerus was very successful and stayed for 15 years or so.

I'm not saying that Utah is a premiere job - I'm just curious as to why Cougar fans don't think a basketball coach will stay there after precedence shows that he will.

Majerus is eccentric. Everything he does is unexplainable and opposite of the norm. He's just a different guy. Look at what every other coach in America does when he has success at a small school. If Broylen was from Utah or had stronger ties to the area, it would be a different thing.
Old 03-28-2007, 02:45 AM   #6
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Majerus is eccentric. Everything he does is unexplainable and opposite of the norm. He's just a different guy. Look at what every other coach in America does when he has success at a small school. If Broylen was from Utah or had stronger ties to the area, it would be a different thing.
I can agree with this, but is Utah really that small of a school when it comes to basketball?

Perhaps, but I'd like to believe that it's not so small a guy wouldn't want to stay.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:48 AM   #7
Detroitdad
Resident Jackass

Detroitdad is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Looking at the larger trends in coaching, coaches that are succesful in lesser leagues usually go for a bigger job when they get the chance. There are literally dozens of examples of this. Majerus was the exception to that generalized rule and I think it was more related to him personally than to the institution.

By way of comparison, Lavell staying forever at the Lords University does not mean that Bronco will do the same if he is offered a different good job. I suspect that he might take the bigger job. Especially if the Cougars do not make a good faith effort to pay him.
Detroitdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:54 AM   #8
MikeWaters
Demiurge

MikeWaters is an unknown quantity at this point

Utah is a small school. My metric is Boylen's payscale.
MikeWaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:55 AM   #9
jay santos

Quote:
I can agree with this, but is Utah really that small of a school when it comes to basketball?

Perhaps, but I'd like to believe that it's not so small a guy wouldn't want to stay.
How many times were you on national TV last year?

How good of a job is the Utah job? I'm not talking smack now. Somewhere 30-40? Every year at least a few of those top 30-40 jobs come open and they pick from the next tier.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:29 AM   #10
RockyBalboa

RockyBalboa is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to RockyBalboa

I will say that I was hoping they'd hire someone crappy like Donny Daniels or Tommy Connor, but I think Hill made a very shrewd hire in Boylen.

It's evident that guy has a great pedigree in spite of his lack of D-I Head Coaching experience.

He sounds just like what the Doctor ordered for the Yewts soft players...except Daniel Deane...he's a tough minded hombre.

I think Utah will be pretty good immediately.

Unfortunately.