cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 AM   #11
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
How many times were you on national TV last year?

How good of a job is the Utah job? I'm not talking smack now. Somewhere 30-40? Every year at least a few of those top 30-40 jobs come open and they pick from the next tier.
Well, thanks to Comcast, the Utes (and everyone else for that matter) weren't even on local tv.

There was a 4 year window in the 90s when Utah was a terrific job, but ther was no need to fill it because th guy who made it terrific was already on teh hill. After Majerus left, it had gone back to where it was a top 25-30 job and Giacoletti left it in shambles. Right now, it's not that great, but it's ceiling is higher than most so-called mid-majors.

Utah and BYU are about the same kind of job. I'm fine with that. If there were 10 million residents along the Wasatch Front, both schools would be considered a much better job.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 AM   #12
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Well, thanks to Comcast, the Utes (and everyone else for that matter) weren't even on local tv.

There was a 4 year window in the 90s when Utah was a terrific job, but ther was no need to fill it because th guy who made it terrific was already on teh hill. After Majerus left, it had gone back to where it was a top 25-30 job and Giacoletti left it in shambles. Right now, it's not that great, but it's ceiling is higher than most so-called mid-majors.

Utah and BYU are about the same kind of job. I'm fine with that. If there were 10 million residents along the Wasatch Front, both schools would be considered a much better job.
There's a difference between where your rank as a program and where you rank as a job. I think y'all are a bit silly with your #11 stuff, but I don't care to get into it. For the point of this thread, the issue is how good of a job it is. That has to do with finances and exposure and recruiting base. Past winning doesn't always play into that. For example, Texas A&M is a good job. USC is a good job. Minnesota's a good job. etc. At least half the big six conference schools and a handful of mid-majors would be in a position to nab Utah's coach.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 04:38 AM   #13
SeattleUte

SeattleUte has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWaters View Post
Utah is a small school. My metric is Boylen's payscale.
Actually, it's a question of values. Utah's pay is higher than Michigan's or UCLA's, so I don't know why you keep saying it's so low. If you're program is big enough you don't need to pay seven figures, and if your values are in the correct place you won't do it. Only places like Florida and Kentucky pay NBA salaries because sports is their main value.

—Paul Auster
SeattleUte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 AM   #14
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP
Default I think it's a good hire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Jim Boylen from Michigan State.

I'd prefer not to scroll through Cougarboard to do my own research project; I'd rather have the opinion of those on this site, thanks.
Not great, but as good as you could hope for. He seems like a solid guy, but I'm sure I will find things to hate about him.

Fortunately, I don't see Utah ever being consistently dominant again. That said, you should be better than BYU in the long run, and that's the only thing that really matters.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 05:37 AM   #15
Brian

Brian has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insensitive PAP View Post
Not great, but as good as you could hope for. He seems like a solid guy, but I'm sure I will find things to hate about him.
Like when he restores normalcy to the state and the zoo gets their heads handed to them year in and year out? (c:

Quote:
Fortunately, I don't see Utah ever being consistently dominant again. That said, you should be better than BYU in the long run, and that's the only thing that really matters.
I'm curious, why can't you see a return to dominance?
Old 03-28-2007, 06:37 AM   #16
Insensitive PAP

Insensitive PAP

3 reasons. One, UNLV is going to be the dominant team. Two, Boylon won't be good enough to be Majerus, who I think was one of the best ever. Three, Utah, as a destination, just seems to be diminishing now that it's been taken out around the barn and been deflowered aggressively.

Last edited by Insensitive PAP; 03-28-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Insensitive PAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:59 AM   #17
myboynoah

myboynoah is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute4ever View Post
Jim Boylen from Michigan State.

I'd prefer not to scroll through Cougarboard to do my own research project; I'd rather have the opinion of those on this site, thanks.
Initial impressions:

-- Guy seemed like he has been on the William Thomas Riker career track. We'll see how he does in the captain's chair.

-- Seems solid, comes from a good program, but with all the other jobs out there, it looks like the Utes were the only ones seriously pursuing him. Why?

-- Not from the West, so chances are good that if he becomes the answer to Ute Fan prayers, he will eventually bolt for job openings "back home."

-- Weren't there similar excitement and positive prognostications when Jack-o-Letti was hired?

-- Why is Utah always making "shrewd, diamond-in-the-ruff" hires?

I know Ute Fans love to point out that The Fat Man stuck around for 15 years, but I really don't know how relevant that is. As noted, Coach Rick was an eccentric head case, who didn't see a job opening he wouldn't at least take a sniff at during those 15 years. But he always came back to Utah, a school that readily took his crap and asked few questions as long as he was winning (how Ute Fans ever let him get rid of Juddy--Mr. Ute if there ever was a Mr. Ute--is beyond me). At least Boylen looks like the type of guy that will actually buy a house and not live on Domino's pizza. That's a good sign.

I predict Utah's record improves next year.

Religion rises inevitably from our apprehension of our own death. To give meaning to meaninglessness is the endless quest of all religion. When death becomes the center of our consciousness, then religion authentically begins. Of all religions that I know, the one that most vehemently and persuasively defies and denies the reality of death is the original Mormonism of the Prophet, Seer and Revelator, Joseph Smith.
myboynoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:35 AM   #18
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
3 reasons. One, UNLV is going to be the dominant team. Two, Boylon won't be good enough to be Majerus, who I think was one of the best ever. Three, Utah, as a destination, just seems to be diminishing.now that it's been taken out around the barn and been deflowed aggressively.
Could there be a 4th reason - that you really hope it happens but are a bit concerned that it might not?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 02:05 PM   #19
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Could there be a 4th reason - that you really hope it happens but are a bit concerned that it might not?
Utah's ceiling is as high as their coach can take them. For Utah to succeed, you guys need to recruit in California or overseas or wherever. In that regard, you're up against every other program in the west. Your competitive advantage is your coach. Plain and simple. That's it. So if your coach is fantastic, you have a chance to be fantastic. It's extremely low probability for me looking in from the outside that:

1. The coach you hire happens to become one of the greatest game coaches and recruiters in the country.
2. Said coach stays long enough for you to enjoy sustained success.

All the Boise's, UTEP's, Wyomings, Nevadas, New Mexicos, Gonzagas, and Utahs want it. Utah got lucky. Gonzaga's getting lucky. Boise's getting lucky in football. But it's not high probability.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 03:18 PM   #20
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I agree with Pap almost word for word....

The Utah dominance that is often referred existed from about '95-'99. Since the inception of the MWC Utah has been a top tier MWC program but did not dominate in my opinion. I would go so far as to say that Utah was the top dog in the MWC. I find Utah's situation in the MWC from '00-'05 similar to BYU in football after Ty Detmer until about '99. Top program arguably and without question a top tier program, but not dominating.

Things change. It appears that UNLV is going to make an effort to be a major player again, we shall see. I think that if UNLV wants to be really good at hoops they can be better than Utah. I also think that BYU is not going to tank like they did during the latter half of the 90's when the Ute dynasty existed.

So basically I believe that Utah is going to face stiffer competition from the Rebels and the Cougars, perhaps even the Lobos and while Coach Boylen might be a good coach, which I think he will be, I think Utah returning to dominate is about as likely as BYU football returning to dominate.