cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 05:10 AM   #1
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is the foundation of the hoops program

cracking?

Granted it is BYU hoops and I doubt many of us have exceptionally high expectations, but just when it looked like Dave Rose had BYU poised to be about as good as they could be....

Ever since that Lamar game it has been one swift kick to the scrotal sack after another. After the success of this year in all things, the callous we had all developed during the misery of the previous years had started to subside. Now I am having to toughen up again for roundball.

The spring recruiting period was disinteresting to disapointing. BYU lost what I thought was a pretty crucial assistant coach. BYU lost out on an RM highly recruited perimeter player who had played high school ball for one of BYU's remaining assistants. Now the Y has lost a promising player, which now means that the recruiting class from last year is 1/2 decimated before two of them even suited up with Luiz de Toledo going pro. There is still talent for the next couple of years to be solid and perhaps compete for the MWC championship, but I gotta admit what has happened in the past 3 months has not inspired great confidence in me.

I don't know if it is time to panic, but it sure appears to be less than a firm foundation.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:38 AM   #2
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
cracking?

Granted it is BYU hoops and I doubt many of us have exceptionally high expectations, but just when it looked like Dave Rose had BYU poised to be about as good as they could be....

Ever since that Lamar game it has been one swift kick to the scrotal sack after another. After the success of this year in all things, the callous we had all developed during the misery of the previous years had started to subside. Now I am having to toughen up again for roundball.

The spring recruiting period was disinteresting to disapointing. BYU lost what I thought was a pretty crucial assistant coach. BYU lost out on an RM highly recruited perimeter player who had played high school ball for one of BYU's remaining assistants. Now the Y has lost a promising player, which now means that the recruiting class from last year is 1/2 decimated before two of them even suited up with Luiz de Toledo going pro. There is still talent for the next couple of years to be solid and perhaps compete for the MWC championship, but I gotta admit what has happened in the past 3 months has not inspired great confidence in me.

I don't know if it is time to panic, but it sure appears to be less than a firm foundation.
Perhaps you need to use your powers of influence to tap the talent of Simi Valley? I mean, your family and the one that produced one of the most annoying Sister missionaries in the Italy Catania Mission way back in the summer of '84 in the mission city itself can't be the only Mormons there, right?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:02 AM   #3
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
Perhaps you need to use your powers of influence to tap the talent of Simi Valley? I mean, your family and the one that produced one of the most annoying Sister missionaries in the Italy Catania Mission way back in the summer of '84 in the mission city itself can't be the only Mormons there, right?
Only Simi Valley kid to serve in Italy I knew was a Hixon. He was a male, but I do remember moving wayyyy up when he went to bat in slowpitch softball.

Simi Valley has produced very few good LDS athletes. But we all knew if we ever could have convinced Curtis Marsh to go to class, we might have won a game or two in football in '88 when we finished 0-10.

Who is this sister you recall from my homefront?
Old 06-14-2007, 06:23 AM   #4
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Only Simi Valley kid to serve in Italy I knew was a Hixon. He was a male, but I do remember moving wayyyy up when he went to bat in slowpitch softball.

Simi Valley has produced very few good LDS athletes. But we all knew if we ever could have convinced Curtis Marsh to go to class, we might have won a game or two in football in '88 when we finished 0-10.

Right now, her name escapes me. Perhaps I've repressed it. I'll go through my mission stuff and let you know.

Of course, you now know that I'll be up half the night now looking for pictures. Just a little bit of OCD on my part.

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
jay santos

jay santos is on a distinguished road

Losing Cameron doesn't bother me much. Losing Roese, Garrett, and Otero did bother me. It was an unfortunate offseason for BYU, but I don't see it as a signal there's something wrong in the program. I'll call it bad luck for now until I see more data points.
jay santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay santos View Post
Losing Cameron doesn't bother me much. Losing Roese, Garrett, and Otero did bother me. It was an unfortunate offseason for BYU, but I don't see it as a signal there's something wrong in the program. I'll call it bad luck for now until I see more data points.
I'm hoping it's just bad luck. Given the season last year, it doesn't make sense that something's amiss. But who knows... I certainly don't have the warm fuzzies at this point.
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 03:58 PM   #7
Venkman

Venkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:

The Simi Valley chicks I knew down at the zoo were pretty wild. Not that I had any first hand(s?) experience...
Venkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:21 PM   #8
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I talked to a former player

who had been involved with Reid, Cleveland and Rose. We talked BB and he was quite upbeat on Rose as a coach. He said Reid was a great X and O coach and we both agreed what finally did him in was publicly saying what a lot of BYU fans think. I actually think Reid was a mentor to many of the posters on TBS.

He was positive on Rose the coach. Suprisingly he didn't know much about the players who were recruited. He didn't know about the kid we have coming from New York.

One other funny thing. He said attendance also hurt Reid. He kind of agreed with me. Winning brings in fans, not a lack of HC violations.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 04:32 PM   #9
Archaea
Assistant to the Regional Manager

Archaea is an unknown quantity at this point

Have we replaced Roese? His loss is substantial as is the loss of Otero.

I don't like losing Cameron either.

Something is amiss; either we're about to make good or bad changes.
Old 06-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #10
mpfunk

mpfunk is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to mpfunk

We can all hope that the foundation of the hoops program is crumbling, just like we can all hope that Boylen is repairing the foundation of the Utes hoop program.

I think this looks like a horribly disappointing offseason for BYU hoops, but I don't know if that is a sign of things to come or not.
mpfunk is offline   Reply With Quote