cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2007, 10:09 AM   #11
Frank Ryan
Formerly Mastershake

Frank Ryan is on a distinguished road
Default speaking of programs crumbling ...

what about the lady utes? didn't the whole team up and quit. what is elliot doing?
Frank Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 05:21 PM   #12
il Padrino Ute
Board Pinhead

il Padrino Ute is an unknown quantity at this point

Haven't heard anything like that.

There were two Lady Ute volleyball players who decided to transfer to Washington after they played on the National team that was coached by the Washington coach. Perhaps that's what you're thinking about?

"This is now the joke that stupid people laugh at." - Christopher Hitchens on IQ jokes about GWB.
il Padrino Ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:16 PM   #13
BlueK

BlueK is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYU71 View Post
who had been involved with Reid, Cleveland and Rose. We talked BB and he was quite upbeat on Rose as a coach. He said Reid was a great X and O coach and we both agreed what finally did him in was publicly saying what a lot of BYU fans think. I actually think Reid was a mentor to many of the posters on TBS.

He was positive on Rose the coach. Suprisingly he didn't know much about the players who were recruited. He didn't know about the kid we have coming from New York.

One other funny thing. He said attendance also hurt Reid. He kind of agreed with me. Winning brings in fans, not a lack of HC violations.
It would be nice if the attendance would finally get back to where it was during most of the Reid years. It's been 10 years. Time to stop blaming Reid for crappy attendance.
BlueK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:54 PM   #14
Goatnapper'96
Recruiting Coordinator/Bosom Inspector

Goatnapper'96 is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueK View Post
It would be nice if the attendance would finally get back to where it was during most of the Reid years. It's been 10 years. Time to stop blaming Reid for crappy attendance.
I don't think BYU attendence will ever recover unless BYU has a sustained period of success never before seen in BYU hoops. Events of this past few months have me concerned that sustained success at that level at BYU might just be impossible.

This year was as good as it probably gets for BYU hoops and what was average home attendence?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:56 PM   #15
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Perhaps if Rose would start doing

firesides, attendance would go up at BB games.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 03:57 PM   #16
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post

This year was as good as it probably gets for BYU hoops and what was average home attendence?
Conference attendence was 15,520. That included two nationally ranked conference opponents coming to Provo.

I would like to see BYU construct a 15000-17500 seat hoops only arena on campus. Leave the MC for firesides and whatnot, but get a hoops only arena that looks rocking with 14000 people there.
Old 06-25-2007, 03:59 PM   #17
Goatnapper'96

Quote:
firesides, attendance would go up at BB games.
Rose knows that BYU is a football school. College sports is football first, hoops first schools are usually only hoops only because football sucks bad. Florida and Ohio State might be good at both but their coaches know that football will still always be king.

Many BYU football fans who attend Bronco's firesides couldn't even tell you the name of the hoops coach.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #18
BlueK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
Conference attendence was 15,520. That included two nationally ranked conference opponents coming to Provo.

I would like to see BYU construct a 15000-17500 seat hoops only arena on campus. Leave the MC for firesides and whatnot, but get a hoops only arena that looks rocking with 14000 people there.
A new arena like that would be great but I don't think it's even close to being on the BOT's radar.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:05 PM   #19
BYU71

BYU71 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone who knows me knows I get obsessed

on certain subjects. Attendance at FB and BB games are going to be a function of one thing, winning. Because it is a FB school the winning will bring out the fans faster and with more emotion in the FB program. However, if the BB teams starts putting together seasons like last year and unlike last year get past the first round, you will start to see attendance around 15,000 which would be pretty good. That arena seating stinks though, so I don't imagine you are going to go much higher.

As far as firesides. Attendance at firesides will ebb and flow with wins on the field. People should not kid themselves. LDS folks like winners as much as anyone.
BYU71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 09:38 PM   #20
BlueK

Quote:
on certain subjects. Attendance at FB and BB games are going to be a function of one thing, winning. Because it is a FB school the winning will bring out the fans faster and with more emotion in the FB program. However, if the BB teams starts putting together seasons like last year and unlike last year get past the first round, you will start to see attendance around 15,000 which would be pretty good. That arena seating stinks though, so I don't imagine you are going to go much higher.

As far as firesides. Attendance at firesides will ebb and flow with wins on the field. People should not kid themselves. LDS folks like winners as much as anyone.
in a 15-17K arena, 15K would be great. Unfortunately it's not that great in the 23K MC. 15K for 2 or 3 key conference games, 10K for the rest of the conference and 5-9K for non-conference games during a good season like last year really sucks though. You're right, winning solves a lot. So would better scheduling.