cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board  

Go Back   cougarguard.com — unofficial BYU Cougars / LDS sports, football, basketball forum and message board > SPORTS! > Professional Sports
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2008, 03:41 AM   #11
YOhio
AKA SeattleNewt

YOhio is an unknown quantity at this point

Interesting story on Zhang Yimou, the artistic director behind the opening ceremonies. He's also the director of some powerful anti-communist/Mao films, including "To Live."

http://www.iht.com/articles/2008/08/07/asia/zhang.php
YOhio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #12
TripletDaddy

TripletDaddy can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
What's with those things? We used to live in a predominantly Asian area, and whenever I'd jog around the nearby lake I had to weave my way through what looked like cadres of female welders out for a stroll.
I am in the same boat. Irvine has a very large Asian and Persian population.

The Persians, I get.....cigarettes, cell phones, Rock and Republic jeans, BMWs, etc...

The Chinese are more of an enigma. They seem to enjoy going on walks, being outdoors, and staying active....even when they are very old. However, whenever you see them out and about, they are always wearing the plastic blast shield visors, long sleeved shirts, and those wild non-branded old-people athletic shoes that come in white, taupe, or black.

I was discussing this with one of my co-workers who is first-gen Chinese American. Her parents came over when she was about to be born, but even after 25 years or so, they are still kind of FOBby... She explained to me that within her culture, being tan is viewed as a negative. Tan skin is associated with being a worker out in the fields....in other words, lower education, lower economic status, etc...therefore, you will often see the older set outside wearing breathable HazMat attire in an effort to stay white....which, to them, is delicious to the taste and very desirable.

In fact, she said that growing up in SoCal, her parents and grandparents often chided her for being a typical American kid....beach, tan, shorts, tank tops, intrauterine devices, etc...

I have since heard the same thing a few times from other Chinese co-workers. Can anyone here confirm this Chinese cultural more, which is also insanely racist, but in a charming way? I tend to believe my co-workers.

China better look out. I now know TWO of its biggest secrets:

1. Plastic Visors
2. Calgon

"Everyone is against me. Everyone is fawning for 3D's attention and defending him." -- SeattleUte

Last edited by TripletDaddy; 08-09-2008 at 02:49 PM.
TripletDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote